Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdy98p View Post
    Shug, you gonna put up a video review of the Tensa?
    In due time I sure will.
    Getting to know it.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Can't tell anything about dimensions or material from photo. Minimum necessary length is about 8'. If steel, minimum necessary diameter is about 3/4". If aluminum, >1", to hold maybe 200lbs with some safety margin. If longer than 8', material needs to be larger diameter for same capacity. Extra diameter gets you much more stiffness/strength than extra wall thickness for the same additional weight.

EDIT: didn't see that there was a link to the materials. 7' is too short unless your hammock is well under 10'. Otherwise seem suitable.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 06-21-2018 at 18:53.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    A bit expensive and short but otherwise would probably work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Hung a DIY hammock chair from the head end. Works with strong anchor on the foot end of the stand.

Foolishly neglected to pack a tarp, trusting the no-rain forecast. Mountains have their own weather. Disassembled the chair, unfolding to double length, in the middle of the night in rain to drape over ridgeline. Not a good cover but better than nothing.

Wonder if there’s a tarp that would convert to a decent chair folded and gathered like this?

Nice frog chorus all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Hung a DIY hammock chair from the head end. Works with strong anchor on the foot end of the stand.
    That just looks delightful. What a nice spot, made even better with the utility of the stand. Slick thinking using the chair as a pseudo tarp, I don't know about a chair/tarp combo though. I know in my case, that tarp-chair would have to be gigantic, which is okay in and of itself, but may present other logistical problems.

I'm saving my allowance to buy a stand though. I'm convinced it is exactly what I need for motorcycle camping, and your pictures do a lot to contribute to that.

Foolishly neglected to pack a tarp, trusting the no-rain forecast. Mountains have their own weather. Disassembled the chair, unfolding to double length, in the middle of the night in rain to drape over ridgeline. Not a good cover but better than nothing.

Wonder if there’s a tarp that would convert to a decent chair folded and gathered like this?

Nice frog chorus all night.

Great site- hope you had the fly rod with you. I don't believe utilizing a Hammock/ chair as a tarp is to practical- You want the H/C breathable and the tarp waterproof. How would that be possible? For me a spare hammock folded in half makes for an excellent chair. Lessoned learned to always make sure the tarp is packed.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Finally took shot at daneaustin3 design. Left legs at 10 feet (for now). Not to sure if I have the wire rope/clamp setup done correctly.

Started with 81 lbs (son), moved up to 130 lbs, and then to 160. All went smoothly and they liked the experience. I get in (pushing 215) and "disaster" strikes. Slow ride to the ground. I was moving and my better half was pulling hard. Note to be careful during testing. Choose your spotter wisely and know the limits of this stand. Thank goodness we have tall ceilings.

I love this design and could not believe the simplicity of assembly. Maybe 20 minutes total - includes drilling 8 holes, filing, and bolting it together.

I am a little miffed about the cost of living from KY to TX. Spent $28+tax for the same parts list at the local HD. I certainly hope that is not just inflation since November.

All in all, I like it! Going to save up for commercial stand purchase one of these days

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunckelman View Post
    I get in (pushing 215) and "disaster" strikes. Slow ride to the ground. I was moving and my better half was pulling hard. Note to be careful during testing. Choose your spotter wisely and know the limits of this stand. Thank goodness we have tall ceilings.
    Can’t quite tell what failed. Connector give out? Note that while 10’ poles will give anybody all the span/clearance they could want and then some, it’s a lot weaker than poles just a foot or 2 shorter. 100” (8’4”) should be plenty for most anybody as long as the connectors aren’t too sloppy. (Lashing, for instance, takes up considerable length that drilled and tied connections don’t.)

--

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Can’t quite tell what failed. Connector give out? Note that while 10’ poles will give anybody all the span/clearance they could want and then some, it’s a lot weaker than poles just a foot or 2 shorter. 100” (8’4”) should be plenty for most anybody as long as the connectors aren’t too sloppy. (Lashing, for instance, takes up considerable length that drilled and tied connections don’t.)

Nothing failed. I was not trying to call anyone out. But, since you asked...my wife was pulling too hard on the foot end! I did not tie off the foot end while we were playing around with the stand. Just had someone pull it down enough to get "balance" of feet higher than head end. We went past this point and then some...

I will definitely take your suggestion and cut the poles down in length. Thanks for that information.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 77 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast