DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dankeeler128 View Post
    I tried this build today, with only
    one change, I cut the poles into two 5' sections, and tried using an EMT junction to join them. Word of advice, it doesn't work. Looks like I'm going back and buying four more pieces of 3/4" emt.....
    Back up about 400 posts and there is a link to some connectors that will work.

Dane

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tensahedron Stand

I was camping at a lake in N. Texas, by the fishing pier. I didnt expect anybody else to show up.

About 1:30 in the morning, a group shows up, within 10’ of my hammock they start building a fire. I go talk to them, one of them has a LEO badge on his belt. I said, hey this is my campsite. He said, “It is an open lake, we will be quiet, you shouldn’t have set up right next to the fishing pier.”

Well, he was right, so I went back to my hammock. Removed the two guy wires, folded up stand with hammock and contents. Threw it over my shoulder and moved about 100 yards away in an open field.

I was very thankful for my Tensa Outdoors stand. At 1:45 in the morning, I didnt have to go find perfect hammock trees. I simply set up down by the lake on the shore with no trees.

Original location, I didnt take a pic of the new location

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Right from the very first time I tried hammock camping I fell in love with the comfort compared to an inflatable mat in a tent. I also appreciated that sticks, rocks and so forth on the ground wasn't such an issue when you are hanging above the ground. The only real disadvantage seemed to me that you had to set up where there were suitable trees. I bought a Handy Hammock stand to give me another option for setting up without trees, the Tensahedron stand is just a much better and easier way of providing that option. For me the Tensahedron stand takes away the one negative of hammocks vs tents and lets me camp almost anywhere with the comfort of sleeping in a hammock - I absolutely love it!

I love motorcycle camping and with my Tensahedron stand it only gets better!

Quote Originally Posted by jdy98p View Post
    Look what came in today. They are 9.5” and interestingly don’t have a stop at the midway point. I’ll post some pics later tonight or tomorrow with everything set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Connectors are still working great
    Even held my son at 290 lbs 3/4 in conduit stand

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Down/syn
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by West michigan View Post
    Connectors are still working great
    Even held my son at 290 lbs 3/4 in conduit stand
    Did you end up making a midpoint indentation or are you still rocking it stock?

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Travv801 View Post
    Did you end up making a midpoint indentation or are you still rocking it stock?
    Ends up that half the ones I received had the mid-point indentation and half didn't. I just use them as-is.

Hammock
    $20 Golden Eagle double
    Tarp
    $20 10'x10'
    Insulation
    $20 CDTUQ
    Suspension
    $5 HF straps

pioneering Tensahedron at BSA camp

Spent 6 nights in my wood (8' 2x2s) tensahedron stand at a BSA summer camp (Raven Knob in NC). Loved it! Still working on tarp issues. (Picture taken before some tweaking to make the stand a bit more level).

Learnings:
    • Twisted #36 bankline makes a poor SRL. It stretches WAY too much. Going to 7/64 Amsteel (which is overkill I know but at least it won't stretch). I feel the SRL is important in order to get the stand/hammock/tarp geometry just right, since I'm using a fairly small tarp.
    • Bankline however makes great lashing material. 3 wraps 3 fraps & pull a LOT on each frap. All 4 vertices are shear (bipole) lashings.
    • Putting a small "slot" (as wide as my multi-tool's saw blade) each corner of the 2x2 about 3" from each end also helps prevent lashings from slipping.
    • The tarp is 215cm, for a ridge line of ~119". The hammock I ended up using is 108". Theoretical SRL is 89-93" (using 83-86%). So should have (119-91)/2=14" of coverage on each side beyond the end of the tarp.
    • Shock cord used to connect tarp to stand at 3 out of 4 corners/vertices.
    • Head end is staked down BUT is loose when stand is loaded. Is really to keep stand from collapsing if I move my weight too much toward my feet. Foot end is securely tied to base of tent (a stake in concrete as I recall)

Problems encountered:
    • Rain the last night; some "splash up" due to small size of tarp (bug net has material on the lower half, so not a significant issue. Could always use 10x10 tarp).
    • Real rain issue was tarp being "too close" to bug net, as it essentially rested on the SRL. Also, the tarp "draped" inward. Moisture on inside of tarp resulted in a few drips & moderate discomfort so I decided on a bail-out to the tent.

Potential solutions:
    • Create tarp ridgeline a few inches above the SRL. Concern is that it will force the stand into a less-than-ideal shape.
    • Do a bit of a "porch mode" with the tarp. Not sure how this would interact with the stand.
    • Create two secondary tarp ridgelines maybe 1/3rd of the way down the poles in order to create more width at the top of the tarp. Shock cord would be needed to preserve the stand's flexibility, but might get in the way (unless detached when tarp not deployed). This should keep the tarp wider at the top portion of the tarp to help with draping. Hopefully wouldn't pool rain.
    • Use a portion of a pool noodle on top of the SRL (& bugnet) to force width at the top of the tarp.

Perhaps a combination of all of the above could be used; suggestions welcome!

Once I solve the "tarp drape" problem I plan to make a separate, more complete "here's how I do it" thread, with scouts & scouters in mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Nice write up
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGravity View Post
    Spent 6 nights in my wood (8' 2x2s) tensahedron stand at a BSA summer camp (Raven Knob in NC). Loved it! Still working on tarp issues. (Picture taken before some tweaking to make the stand a bit more level).

Learnings:
    • Twisted #36 bankline makes a poor SRL. It stretches WAY too much. Going to 7/64 Amsteel (which is overkill I know but at least it won't stretch). I feel the SRL is important in order to get the stand/hammock/tarp geometry just right, since I'm using a fairly small tarp.
    • Bankline however makes great lashing material. 3 wraps 3 fraps & pull a LOT on each frap. All 4 vertices are shear (bipole) lashings.
    • Putting a small "slot" (as wide as my multi-tool's saw blade) each corner of the 2x2 about 3" from each end also helps prevent lashings from slipping.
    • The tarp is 215cm, for a ridge line of ~119". The hammock I ended up using is 108". Theoretical SRL is 89-93" (using 83-86%). So should have (119-91)/2=14" of coverage on each side beyond the end of the tarp.
    • Shock cord used to connect tarp to stand at 3 out of 4 corners/vertices.
    • Head end is staked down BUT is loose when stand is loaded. Is really to keep stand from collapsing if I move my weight too much toward my feet. Foot end is securely tied to base of tent (a stake in concrete as I recall)

Problems encountered:
    • Rain the last night; some "splash up" due to small size of tarp (bug net has material on the lower half, so not a significant issue. Could always use 10x10 tarp).
    • Real rain issue was tarp being "too close" to bug net, as it essentially rested on the SRL. Also, the tarp "draped" inward. Moisture on inside of tarp resulted in a few drips & moderate discomfort so I decided on a bail-out to the tent.

Potential solutions:
    • Create tarp ridgeline a few inches above the SRL. Concern is that it will force the stand into a less-than-ideal shape.
      [*] Do a bit of a "porch mode" with the tarp. Not sure how this would interact with the stand.
    • Create two secondary tarp ridgelines maybe 1/3rd of the way down the poles in order to create more width at the top of the tarp. Shock cord would be needed to preserve the stand's flexibility, but might get in the way (unless detached when tarp not deployed). This should keep the tarp wider at the top portion of the tarp to help with draping. Hopefully wouldn't pool rain.
    • Use a portion of a pool noodle on top of the SRL (& bugnet) to force width at the top of the tarp.

Perhaps a combination of all of the above could be used; suggestions welcome!

Once I solve the "tarp drape" problem I plan to make a separate, more complete "here's how I do it" thread, with scouts & scouters in mind.
    I have done porch mode with mine and works just fine.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 11' HyperD 1.6 Tawny Olive
    Images
    Tensahedron Stand v3.0

So while I was at Rotary Scout Reservation by Clare, MI I stopped by General Jim's Army Surplus. If you are ever up that way, it's worth a stop.

I picked up a fiberglass antenna mast kit with poles, spreaders, and a semi-waterproof bag for under $40. The pole sections were 47 1/2" long. 44" for the tube and 3 1/2" for the connector. Two pieces was too short and three pieces was way too long.

I did some maths and cut off 9" from each section. This gave me a three piece length of 108 1/2". I then used mini CLs to join sections together to form each apex.

Ta Da!
    20180725_181927.jpg

It breaks down pretty neatly.
    20180725_184918.jpg

At about 30+ lbs it isn't light, but it will fit in the trunk of my car.
    20180725_185256.jpg

If you can't see it in the photo, that's 36" on the tape.

Still not ideal but I'm getting closer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 85 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast