$20 Golden Eagle double
    Tarp
    $20 10'x10'
    Insulation
    $20 CDTUQ
    Suspension
    $5 HF straps
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Tried making the Tensahedron with two fewer poles!!
    Yes, combination of two monopole stands right?

Pioneering thoughts:

I built a Tensahedron4 single hammock stand (the "classic" Leatherdome Tensahedron)
    (4 8' tree stakes, 4 lashings, 1 ridgeline, tension strap on bottom, 2 balancing lines)

This Tensahedron2 single hammock stand (GadgetUK):
    (2 8' tree stakes, 2 lashings, 1 ridgeline, no bottom tension strap, 4 balancing lines)

I think/hope three Tensahedron2s can be combined in a triangle to make a triple hammock stand:
    (6 8' tree stakes, 6 lashings, 3 ridgelines, no bottom tension needed, 3 balancing lines)
    lashings are at the bottom AND "tops" of each of the three stands

Would need three scout-sized test subjects though... luckily I have three sons! (And a soft lawn. Not sure how well this 3x thought would handle my 240lbs)

3xTensahedron2.JPG

Might work as a square too... especially with some diagonal tension lines forming an X in the square... a square might be tarp-friendlier

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Thanks @knightshade.

I'm always looking for help with the maths...

So if I read that right, using the 40/40/100 as reference, I should be able to figure this out by using the length of the structural ridgeline and include the length of the loops to get one side of the triangle? Thanks for the help.

I understand adjusting the splay will affect the angles, but this will help me determine the length I need for the poles. Or so I believe.
    Brady

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' (Hexon Wide 1.6)
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CDT Underquilt
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin Spike
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Thanks @knightshade.

I'm always looking for help with the maths...

So if I read that right, using the 40/40/100 as reference, I should be able to figure this out by using the length of the structural ridgeline and include the length of the loops to get one side of the triangle? Thanks for the help.

I understand adjusting the splay will affect the angles, but this will help me determine the length I need for the poles. Or so I believe.
    That will give you a "roughly right" starting point....
    For mine, I included: ridgeline, continuous loops and carabiner length.
    I'm sure that other elements also come into play - such as what is the ratio between your hammock lenght and ridgeline length. I'm using the 83% that I've often seen.
    I am curious if your 14' Mayan has a deeper sag than that... If so, I might take that into account (so that your off the ground)

The design is fairly forgiving, as it will find it's balance point.
    You just need to be in the right ballpark

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by knightshade View Post
    There goes gadget thinking outside of the box....
    There's a box?? LoL

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Might consider building one for your 10-11' hammocks with a 2' extension for the 14'. From my testing I would say a 10' pole length ought to be about right for the 14' hammock.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    I thought about making a 3 pole design but haven't had time yet. The head side as normal, the foot side with 1 pole attached to the cross support of the other two with guy lines running back to the ends of the other 2 and a balance guy line going outward.
    3pole.jpg

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Tried making the Tensahedron with two fewer poles!!
    Sure and next you'll be telling me the earth isn't flat. Heratic!

OK, I broke my stand.

This weekend I went on a Scout campout, and they put us in a field with no trees. My choices, walk a ways to find some trees on the property, or try to make one of these stands. The troop has some 7 foot by 1 14th inch poles. I thought they were hard wood. We use them for lashing practice, making flag poles and such.

I took 4 poles and rope, and lashed the thing together. I did not have a drill or anything to drill holes into the ends of the poles. My first problem is that when I sat in the Hennessy hammock to test it, the rope slid down the poles and I landed on the ground. So I notched the ends of the poles to hold the lashings at the ends of the poles. I sat in the hammock; I laid in the hammock. It held. I was happy. I tied my Kelty Noah tarp from hammock stand end to hammock stand end. Just fit. I had shelter.

I went to bed. The hammock was a foot off the ground when I put my full weight in it. All was well. But then, I was roused from dreamland by the snap and crack of wood. I woke up to find that I was on the ground, but the net on the Hennessy was above my head, and the tarp was still up. The pole at the right side of my head had snapped diagonally along the rings of the wood in the pole. One end was flat on the ground, and the other was sticking out of the ground, holding up one end of the hammock and the tarp. It was 2:30 am, and I was not really wanting to untie everything, and go find another place to set up.

So I stuck a pad under me on the ground and slept for another 3 hours in the "hammock tent" until it was time to get up and make coffee for the other Scouters. I was bitterly disappointed. I was going to take a picture of it in the morning in the daylight. But to no avail.

So, I hung for 4 hours on the stand. I am convinced that it is a good design, but the materials I used on the spur of the moment were faulty. I am ready now to try again next month, perhaps with the aluminum mast poles that someone else here has suggested. I could run rope, or perhaps amsteel through the poles so that the end connections and the ground connections would be loose like has been discussed. Or perhaps I could get real hard wood poles that are 1 1/2 inches wide, and properly drill the end holes for the connecting cords.

I still like the idea.
    Thanks.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' (Hexon Wide 1.6)
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CDT Underquilt
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin Spike
    Quote Originally Posted by daneaustin3 View Post
    I thought about making a 3 pole design but haven't had time yet. The head side as normal, the foot side with 1 pole attached to the cross support of the other two with guy lines running back to the ends of the other 2 and a balance guy line going outward.
    3pole.jpg

I was mentally playing with that type of idea as well...
    But I was trying to see if it could be combined with raftingtigger's self supporting stand...
    In that case, she has a total of 6 poles...
    I was wondering if we could bring that down to 4 poles as the foot weight would directly anchor the center bar.

I was also wondering what that might look like if it was asymetrical...

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ag1024 View Post
    I could run rope, or perhaps amsteel through the poles so that the end connections and the ground connections would be loose like has been discussed
    I have tried this and I can save you from another fall and tell you it doesn't work. The pole will cut the amsteel.

Dane

• + New Posts
  • Page 33 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast