$20 Golden Eagle double
    Tarp
    $20 10'x10'
    Insulation
    $20 CDTUQ
    Suspension
    $5 HF straps
    Quote Originally Posted by nimrod337 View Post
    ... I vaguely remember some sort of 3 hammock version of the tensahedron where the hammocks are arranged in a triangle... but I'm not sifting through the past 90 pages to find it!
    A 6-pole, 3-hammock version is at: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1840389

HOWEVER, I want to attempt a 9-pole, 3-hammock "tri-tensahedron" (basically three full tensahedrons, but 3 poles do double-duty & come together in the center on the ground)

I've only gotten as far as to do some math, which tells me it should work with:
    • 7.5' poles (leaving room on 8' poles for lashing)
    • 4 tripod lashings, 3 bipod (or diagonal or square) lashings
    • up to 11' hammock
    • 18" hang height
    • 10.4' "tarp" ridgeline
    • 6' "baseline" (along the ground)
    • 30 degree hang angle results, and that vector should be co-planar with the two nearest poles
    • Also, as viewed from above, the pole angles with each other will all be 120 or 60 degrees (kind of goes without saying)

Obtaining a bit more time, and 3 more poles, are the only things standing in my way.

I'm having a hard time visualizing that in my head. Can you sketch it out?

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    thermarest
    Suspension
    DIY Webbing/Rings
    🤯

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    I've been following this thread and waiting until I saw others doing what I wanted to do. Finally, I felt I had enough pieces to build my own stand.
    My main priority was a hammock stand which could fit in my car for camping. I followed instructions from various people on this thread and I'm so excited to have it all come together. It's a work in progress, but wanted to share the first part.

Here's the video. Part 2 "Working out the hammock suspension" and tarp coming soon.

great job Karla, thanks.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    I finally made mine. So quick and easy! I used 3/4" EMT cut to 100" (1" less than my ceilings to store it upright in a corner), filed the ends, and 7/8" rubber chair tips. I couldn't find 7/8" washers for inside the tips, but nickels fit perfectly. For now I've just lashed the joints, but they slip on the EMT, so when I have time I'll drill & chamfer the poles for Amsteel soft shackles or wire rope loops.

A helpful HD employee suggested steel screw-tight hose clamps (pack of 10 for under $8.00) just past the lashings to keep them from slipping on EMT. I also put a rubber O-ring between hose clamp and lashing cord to protect the cord against the thin metal clamp edge, but even though I tightened the lashings and clamps as much as I could, the top ones still slipped about an inch in a 30 minute test hang. Maybe friction tape or a stop-ring of epoxy would work better. I don't want to rough up the EMT with a file since the lashing is only temporary.

The 3/4 EMT held my approx 240 lb brother without any flexing that I could see. My 13ft every-night hammocks are too long for the poles I cut (with almost zero suspension I was only about 6" above the floor), but my brother's 10.5 and 11ft are just right. He's impressed with the stand, so I'll give it to him after I drill it for through-cables. Then make another with longer poles for my 13 footers.

Thanks again, Latherdome and Raftingtigger, for this innovative stand design, and to all who have contributed to easy and inexpensive DIY implementation. I'll be saving my pennies for the portable commercial version for travel as well.

Hammock
    $20 Golden Eagle double
    Tarp
    $20 10'x10'
    Insulation
    $20 CDTUQ
    Suspension
    $5 HF straps
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGravity View Post
    A 6-pole, 3-hammock version is at: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1840389

HOWEVER, I want to attempt a 9-pole, 3-hammock "tri-tensahedron" (basically three full tensahedrons, but 3 poles do double-duty & come together in the center on the ground)

I've only gotten as far as to do some math, which tells me it should work with:
    • 7.5' poles (leaving room on 8' poles for lashing)
    • 4 tripod lashings, 3 bipod (or diagonal or square) lashings
    • up to 11' hammock
    • 18" hang height
    • 10.4' "tarp" ridgeline
    • 6' "baseline" (along the ground)
    • 30 degree hang angle results, and that vector should be co-planar with the two nearest poles
    • Also, as viewed from above, the pole angles with each other will all be 120 or 60 degrees (kind of goes without saying)

Obtaining a bit more time, and 3 more poles, are the only things standing in my way.
    Here is my (Excel-based) attempt at a diagram. (Edit: I added another diagram with opaque hammocks in case it helps.)

tri tensahedron diagram.JPG tri tensahedron diagram better layers.JPG
    Last edited by CaptainGravity; 08-06-2018 at 10:11.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Here is my (Excel-based) attempt at a diagram. (Edit: I added another diagram with opaque hammocks in case it helps.)

I have 3 (Alpha, Beta, and V2.0 sample) and 3 hammocks - I should try that and report.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    that's a really interesting idea....

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images

triple tensa hang.jpg

It seems to work. Hammocks are different lengths and the poles are slightly different lengths. I have not yet tried to optimize the hang on each hammock, but have hung in each individually. Since it is symmetrical, hammocks and poles of the same length are probably desired.

Since a strut holds 2 people I would decrease the safe load by 1/2 of a single stand.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    $20 Golden Eagle double
    Tarp
    $20 10'x10'
    Insulation
    $20 CDTUQ
    Suspension
    $5 HF straps
    Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    triple tensa hang.jpg

It seems to work. Hammocks are different lengths and the poles are slightly different lengths. I have not yet tried to optimize the hang on each hammock, but have hung in each individually. Since it is symmetrical, hammocks and poles of the same length are probably desired.

Since a strut holds 2 people I would decrease the safe load by 1/2 of a single stand.
    Sweeeeeet. Thanks! Yes, although I plan to build w wood, I will put the beefiest poles as the central poles (that are each used by 2 hammocks).

Glad to hear the whole thing didn't collapse with one hanger (but it shouldn't if both ends of each tensa are decently staked - three stakes total - which it looks like you did).

My plan for unequal sized hammocks (but equal length poles) is merely to have longer suspension for the shorter hammocks. I think I need suspension+hammock+suspension to equal 12' in my design (7.5' effective pole length, etc). So my 108" hammock needs 18" of suspension on each side. My 118" needs 13". An 11' hammock would need 6". Extra amsteel loops/dogbones, repurposed rope from the CLs that came w my cheap hammocks, or even double-, triple-, or quadruple-looped paracord should all work I am thinking. (Of course the 11' would probably have the CLs directly connected to the stand)

• + New Posts
  • Page 87 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast