Page 108 of 122 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1213
    So, another question.

Do the 4 legs need to all be the same length?

I'm making mine out of 4 foot segments of milsurp camouflage netting support poles. So I can either do 8 foot lengths or 12 foot lengths.

Using 4 8s seems too short - I'm super low to the ground.

Using 4 12s seems like it would likely be too long.

How would using 2 12s at the head end and 2 8s at the foot end work? Would having different lengths cause a serious issue?

Quote Originally Posted by CubmasterTony View Post
    So, another question.

I'm making mine out of 4 foot segments of milsurp camouflage netting support poles. So I can either do 8 foot lengths or 12 foot lengths.

How would using 2 12s at the head end and 2 8s at the foot end work? Would having different lengths cause a serious issue?
    You probably wouldn't want to do that - you need to keep your centre of mass on the opposite side of the base from your tether end, but you be adding a lot more stress to the 12 foot poles by shifting the weight by that much from the base. You would also need a much wider base with that length of poles to give you room in the hammock without your head hitting the poles. Could you cut them down to 9-10 feet?

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    So, another question.

8’ can be enough if you manage to connect the poles near or at their very ends, say by inserting nunchuck-like connectors into the ends. 10’ is already extravagant. 12’ is just nuts unless maybe you want to use a 17’ tarp.

I played with asymmetric lengths. I think what you propose could work, and you’d almost never taco, but you’d also need a much stronger foot anchor as you’d be putting a lot of leverage on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    So, another question.

So if you feel that you are to low to the ground try adjusting the base. Bringing the base closer together will raise your seat height. The trade off will be the poles will be closer to your hammock and you may have an issue with your head and/or shoulders hitting the poles.
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    I'd try taking it down to 2.7 - 2.8m, My one is 2.4m and it's close with an 11' hammock, and a no-go with a 11.5' tarp (had to add pole extensions).
    I know you wrote that a long time ago, but new to hammock stands, I intend to build my own tensahedron. From where do you measure the pole length? (I guess from the groud side of the pole to the knot/eye bolt where the pole are tied together?)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opiffe View Post
    I know you wrote that a long time ago, but new to hammock stands, I intend to build my own tensahedron. From where do you measure the pole length? (I guess from the groud side of the pole to the knot/eye bolt where the pole are tied together?)
    The commercial version has poles that are a bit over 8'6" long from tip to tip. This photo shows how far the thru-holes are from each end. I just measured approximately 8'2” from the thru hole at one end to the thru hole at the other end (all 4 poles are the same and are symmetrical from end to end).

Thanks for the quick answer cmc4free!
    I cut 4 legs of bamboo a few days ago in the backyard, but it has to dry... Can't wait and looking for buying metal tubes to start!

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opiffe View Post
    Thanks for the quick answer cmc4free!
    I cut 4 legs of bamboo a few days ago in the backyard, but it has to dry... Can't wait and looking for buying metal tubes to start!
    For the DIYer here are a couple of threads that describe how one was made. I measure from tip to connection point. I cut mine down but others have used EMT to the full 10' length.

Here is the link for the initial build:
    DIY EMT Tenahedron stand - full length poles

Modified Tensahedron stand to allow poles to separate for storage. Note I use Aluminum tubing for the joints because I had it. If you need to but get this size tubing in steel for strength.

I am currently reading your initial post. Nice foldable evolution ! I plan to make a 3 parts too, but with the "Kamileon's style" (2 thinner poles at the extremities and one larger in the center). I think I'll first give a chance to my free bamboo to check the right pole length for me. Foldable is the evolution for an easier storage: it will come a little later (if I can wait )
    Last edited by opiffe; 02-27-2020 at 10:58.

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Being the super cheap guy that I am, I finally bit the bullet and made two tensahedron stands today (one for myself, and one for my son) after a quick trip to Lowe's. I got eight 8 foot 2x3's for a grand total of $19.35 after tax. Practiced the old lashings skills and tried it out in the garage (raining like the dickens outside today).

We're going to a boy scout camporee this weekend, and for the first time since getting a hammock, we were going to be in a section with absolutely no trees. I hate sleeping on the ground in the best of circumstances, and with the rain we've been having lately, I'm sure we're going to be camping in grassy mud.

Hoping to have some pictures, and wondering how many curious looks we're going to get. The tensa style has been around for a while, but I'm still not so sure how widespread it is.

I still think of myself as a noob, but I'm finally starting to get the comfortable enough to really feel ok about fiddling around with things.

• + New Posts
  • Page 108 of 122 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118 ... LastLast