Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Haven’t tried, but I’ve wondered whether copper-tube grommets as in the end holes could also serve as shims for the overlaps. Hard enough to be durable and slide freely, soft enough to be peened down to the micron level to make a good slip fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Dirt Cheap Double Hammock - Amazon
    Tarp
    ProVenture 12'
    Insulation
    Woobie
    Suspension
    Stock Daisy Straps
    Hi all, long time lurker and first time poster here. So I went and built myself a tensahedron stand after consulting this and several other threads. I find it works fine outside, when I tie off to trees and fences and such, but i'd also like to tie off indoors as well. I've seen guesstimates that the forces are only 40 pounds or so on whatever tie off you're using. I've tied off to a speaker stand that weighs ~80 pounds, and it slides if i so much as drop my bookbag on the head end. So, am I doing something wrong in the way i've set this up? Or is this the kind of stand that I'm gonna have to use outside. (I weigh around 250 pounds, if that counts for anything.) Thanks either way.

The force required to make a thing slide is generally vastly lower than its weight, often by orders of magnitude depending on the surface it's on/etc. Tie to something that can't slide: door hinges are pretty good.

Hammock
    Dirt Cheap Double Hammock - Amazon
    Tarp
    ProVenture 12'
    Insulation
    Woobie
    Suspension
    Stock Daisy Straps
    Ahh, I see. Thank you!

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfluffle View Post
    Hi all, long time lurker and first time poster here. So I went and built myself a tensahedron stand after consulting this and several other threads. I find it works fine outside, when I tie off to trees and fences and such, but i'd also like to tie off indoors as well. I've seen guesstimates that the forces are only 40 pounds or so on whatever tie off you're using. I've tied off to a speaker stand that weighs ~80 pounds, and it slides if i so much as drop my bookbag on the head end. So, am I doing something wrong in the way i've set this up? Or is this the kind of stand that I'm gonna have to use outside. (I weigh around 250 pounds, if that counts for anything.) Thanks either way.
    We recommend anchor able to handle half your weight; even if static load will be well under that, dynamic loads run high. So if you're 250, a 125-lb weight directly under the foot apex (so it must lift instead of slide). Also try to minimize stand tilt, anchoring head end to prevent taco. At the taco point, of course, the anchor force is zero.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

First comment on the forum here - been lurking for a while though. I have an upcoming camping trip where I knew I wouldn't have good trees so I finally convinced myself I needed a hammock stand. Thanks Latherdome for the design!

I went for 1 1/4 inch black top rail for the poles, cut to about 9 ft. The non swaged pole halves are a foot longer so I can shorten them if need be, but so far the length seems right. I made copper grommets for the rope loops to connect the poles / hammock, and put rubber feet on the ground end of the poles. Currently just using rope/straps I have lying around, but might make some whoopies for the ridgeline/ground line. To do still: some mechanism to secure the two halves of each pole together, and get some PVC caps for the tops of the poles. Debating drilling holes for a latch pin to secure the poles together, but might just try putting an old bicycle inner tube over the joint.

Still need to dial in a ridgeline length and ground line length, but the first hang was a success...

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchovenjames View Post
    First comment on the forum here - been lurking for a while though. I have an upcoming camping trip where I knew I wouldn't have good trees so I finally convinced myself I needed a hammock stand. Thanks Latherdome for the design!

I went for 1 1/4 inch black top rail for the poles, cut to about 9 ft. The non swaged pole halves are a foot longer so I can shorten them if need be, but so far the length seems right. I made copper grommets for the rope loops to connect the poles / hammock, and put rubber feet on the ground end of the poles. Currently just using rope/straps I have lying around, but might make some whoopies for the ridgeline/ground line. To do still: some mechanism to secure the two halves of each pole together, and get some PVC caps for the tops of the poles. Debating drilling holes for a latch pin to secure the poles together, but might just try putting an old bicycle inner tube over the joint.

Still need to dial in a ridgeline length and ground line length, but the first hang was a success...

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
    Your stand looks great. I've always liked the copper grommet idea. Something I've been meaning to integrate into my stand. I stopped using a ridgeline for mine,. I just use the ridgeline from my hammock.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Images
    Another nice use of the copper grommets. Looks sharp in black. Well done and welcome to the world of posting after nearly 4 years of silence.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    thermarest
    Suspension
    DIY Webbing/Rings
    Looks sooo good! Well done!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Occasional lurker here. I came across this thread a couple of weeks ago and proceeded to read through the whole thing, plus the other related threads. Wow! What a cool concept.

I've camped my whole life mostly in a pop-up tent trailer or tenting. I've had a couple of cheap hammocks (Equip Travel Hammock I picked up at Walmart on sale for $10-15) for a few years that have been used a couple of times, so I'm not what anyone would call experienced in the hammock. However, I do love to make stuff so this sparked a project. :-)

I first did a pretty standard one from some ancient fence top rail. On that one, I experimented with using plastic water line as the grommets. I fit a length with a bit hanging out each side, then used a heat gun to form a grommet shape. It works and with practice could look good.

My second version is a packable one using 3/4 and 1/2 inch conduit with the cool peened copper grommets and pvc end plugs. My poles consist of three 3/4" sections 30 inches long with a length of 1/2" at each joint.

I went with the heat shrink on the 1/2" pipe and it's good at making a nice slip fit, but as RaftingTigger pointed out, fragile. It's already looking a little beat up. I epoxied one half of the 1/2" pipe into the end sections, while the center section is held in place with homemade cotter pin/wire cable clips.

I had experimented using some 3/4" copper pipe to fill that space similar to what Latherdome suggests above. I cut a lengthwise section out of the pipe so it would contract a bit, then slipped it in. It definitely works and would be a more durable option. There was still a little bit of slop though, so I went with the heat shrink. I may revisit that idea if the heat shrink disintegrates.

Thanks to all, esp Latherdome, RaftingTigger, and those who have shared their projects. So much fun!

Now I get to pretty it up, make a bag for it, make some tarp extensions, make an underquilt ....... :-D

• + New Posts
  • Page 105 of 122 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115 ... LastLast