WBRR/ Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cloudburst/ Borg
    Insulation
    Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Many
    Quote Originally Posted by CubmasterTony View Post
    I'm in the process of making a DIY version of this for car camping. It's going to be very heavy, so saving a few ounces is not that big a deal. I'd rather go for cost savings and strength.

I'm not sure what to use for the ridgeline / Footline and lines to the anchors.

How much stress is on those lines? I have some extra tiedown rachet straps I can use for prototyping, but when I replace those, what kind of strength do I need to build to? Would Paracord work, or would I need Amsteel? (And if Amsteel, what would be the best way to make that adjustible? (UCR? Whoopie Sling? ) I've made a continuous loop from amsteel, but nothing more complex than that.)

If straps are easier, thats great, but I have no idea where to start with those.
    I used paracord on my DIY stand and didn’t have any luck with it, not sure if was just not strong enough or something I was doing. I went to the local outdoor store and got 5mm rope and things were fine.

Tarp
    Outdoor Skye 10x10
    Insulation
    JC Penny Throws
    Suspension
    daisy chain straps
    Quote Originally Posted by BradA72 View Post
    I used paracord on my DIY stand and didn’t have any luck with it, not sure if was just not strong enough or something I was doing. I went to the local outdoor store and got 5mm rope and things were fine.
    That's interesting. I'm using paracord on my DIY stand made from 2x2's with no issues. its been sitting in the yard for a month continuously with no stretch or fraying.

Hammock
    WBRR/ Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cloudburst/ Borg
    Insulation
    Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Many
    Not sure what I was doing wrong but I broke the paracord a few times in different spots, that’s when I decided on the 5mm.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Latherdome, If there is a formula that determines base width and end height above ground for a given pole length and ridge line length and desired hammock above ground height, I might be able to write a program that calculates what those dimensions/angles. Something like the hammock calculator for Tensa Stands.

Or, perhaps because there are mostly 3 basic hammock lengths; 10, 10.5, 11 ft hammocks and can apply a compromise (between 83 and 86% of physical length) ridge line length to those physical hammock lengths, then a simple table of stand dimensions for those common hammock lengths could be presented.

I will end up with a Tensa4, but before that, I may try one like wienerman (in the DIY forum) who made his out of 8 ft 2 x 2's. I know the 8 ft is a little shorter than the usual 10 ft metal poles that people cut back. But it seemed to work for him. No drilling - just 4 2x2's lashed together with cord.

That's absolutely doable. I'll knock the maths out in the morning.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Got to use mine at a State Park campsite this weekend. Worked Tops!
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    dutchovenjames, my eyebrow raised when you mentioned pinning the poles together. That is fine if you mean, "for storage". But when in use, I've read and been told that the poles need to have some twisting motion. When I first considered this design, I thought it would be so clean to just bolt the poles together. While I was making inquiries, part of the wisdom told to me was that the poles need a loose binding when deployed - holding a hammock.
    I did end up pinning the two halves of each leg together using 1/4 inch steel latch pins, so that in the event of a mousetrap everything stays together. I made it so that the grommets are rotated 90° at each end of the poles, and there didn't seem to be any wear on the ropes I used to tie the poles together at the ends. I suspect there may be a better angle but 90° was easy and seems to work.

I spent 10 nights in my DIY tensahedron this summer and everything worked out great. In the end most of the trees in the campground were too small to hang from normally so I'm glad I made it!

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

With the mention of using the copper tubing - anyone have a good tutorial on how to use that and hammer it into a good channel for the rope to go through?

Quote Originally Posted by CubmasterTony View Post
    With the mention of using the copper tubing - anyone have a good tutorial on how to use that and hammer it into a good channel for the rope to go through?
    Probably not the best method, but here's how I did it (note: hearing protection required). I used two ball peen hammers and a bench vise. First hammer is held in the bench vise and is used to keep the copper tube in place without deforming it too much while worked on the face up side. I drilled the holes in the poles using a step drill bit, then put the copper tubing in (copper tube section is total 1/4 longer than the diameter of the pole). Once the copper tube is in place, one end is placed on the hammer in the bench vise and then you go to town on the face up side. Flip and repeat.

I did a couple test runs on some leftover material to get the hang of it, but it's not too difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchovenjames View Post
    Probably not the best method, but here's how I did it (note: hearing protection required). I used two ball peen hammers and a bench vise. First hammer is held in the bench vise and is used to keep the copper tube in place without deforming it too much while worked on the face up side. I drilled the holes in the poles using a step drill bit, then put the copper tubing in (copper tube section is total 1/4 longer than the diameter of the pole). Once the copper tube is in place, one end is placed on the hammer in the bench vise and then you go to town on the face up side. Flip and repeat.

I did a couple test runs on some leftover material to get the hang of it, but it's not too difficult.

Pretty much what I did, except after I inserted the tubing, and cut to my desired length, I wallowed a phillips head screwdriver in the ends of the tubing to slightly flare it out to hold in place while I used the ball peen hammer to "squish" the flared ends down flush. Didn't have to pound hard. Copper tubing is pretty soft.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchovenjames View Post
    Flaring one end of the copper tubing with a flaring tool first before putting it down on the ball peen hammer that's being held in the vise might make things easier. A large flare tool might even be able to flare the other end before peening it to fit tight.
    https://www.amazon.com/LDR-511-3200-...dp/B000HOOT0Q?

• + New Posts
  • Page 107 of 122 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast