Hammock
    $20 Golden Eagle double
    Tarp
    $20 10'x10'
    Insulation
    $20 CDTUQ
    Suspension
    $5 HF straps
    Muledog, that's awesome. My son's scout troop has 2x2s, and when I tried using them (after some success with tree stakes in my yard) my diagonal lashings were slipping; wood was too smooth (or my diagonal lashes were too poor). Mean to try shear lashing next. Looks like you got plenty of wraps, how many fraps? Is it shear lashing on the bottom connections too? Thanks

(perhaps it's also because I outweigh you by 90 lbs)

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    thermarest
    Suspension
    DIY Webbing/Rings
    http://www.animatedknots.com/lashshear/index.php

I followed this animation for the lashing. I think there are 6 or 7 wraps around the legs and two in between. Natural fiber rope holds knots really well, and I think that's why it hasn't fallen apart.

I'm not sure how to explain this, but make sure you lash the tops in a different direction than the bottoms or your 2x2s won't open and spread. It might be obvious, but I made that mistake originally. Luckily, lashing is relatively easy to undo and retie

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    thermarest
    Suspension
    DIY Webbing/Rings
    I reread my response and decided I didn't clearly answer your two questions:
    2 or 3 fraps
    Yes, shear lashing on both the top and bottom.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 0°
    Suspension
    Straps
    Ok I'm thinking of trying this, it sounds fun.

This is a very long thread what I'd like to try to do is get a summary of Best Practices for this project if possible.

I weigh about 250, not sure if 2x2 is strong enough?

The two issues I'm not quite straight on is pole length and best joint method. I see 4 8' poles used but I thought I also saw the head poles should be shorter? And for the joint, I'm sure it depends on material used, but would like to get a feeling for what experience has proven to work.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangdang View Post
    I've not yet heard of any case where that wasn't strong enough, even at 10' (excessive). I suppose it depends a lot on the quality of the wood. Straight-grained and clear. Metal at least tends to be uniform and standardized, so more predictable.

The two issues I'm not quite straight on is pole length and best joint method. I see 4 8' poles used but I thought I also saw the head poles should be shorter? And for the joint, I'm sure it depends on material used, but would like to get a feeling for what experience has proven to work.
    A little longer than 8' (100"-104") will give you more adjustment leeway with hammocks 11' and up, as well as taller users who may have clearance issues otherwise, especially if your connection method takes up appreciable length like lashing.

I've experimented extensively with asymmetric lengths and concluded that for every problem they solve in one context they introduce a new one in another equally likely. It doesn't hurt if your poles can connect at more than one point, though, so you can shorten them ad hoc in special cases where that's advantageous. For example, having the foot-side poles shorter than the head can set up the required asymmetric weight distribution while preserving a horizontal ridgeline, which could be important say if you're setting up on top of a bed in a motel room where a tilt would hit the ceiling.

Among joints, obviously several types work. Simple hinges suffice, but it seems to me that constraining motion to only one axis like that has potential to subject the poles to more than purely compressive forces, so I prefer looser connections like cords, cables, or even lashing. Loose connectors in particular at the base tend to allow for all 4 poles to contact the ground, limiting the slippage that can occur with less contact, say if the asymmetry is too much for a hard setup surface and the stand slides out from underneath you toward the foot end.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 05-18-2018 at 00:11.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 0°
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    I've not yet heard of any case where that wasn't strong enough. I suppose it depends a lot on the quality of the wood. Straight-grained and clear. Metal at least tends...
    Thank you so much for sharing!

I wish you great success with the commercial version. I am pretty sure I 'm future customer...freakin genius!

Hammock
    $20 Golden Eagle double
    Tarp
    $20 10'x10'
    Insulation
    $20 CDTUQ
    Suspension
    $5 HF straps
    This is a very long thread what I'd like to try to do is get a summary of Best Practices for this project if possible.

Hangdang, a majority of my posts are about building a Tensahedron out of wood (2x2s or tree stakes, which are thicker). I've got a few failures due to poor lashing, but haven't tried shear lashing yet. So not sure if they are "best practices" but a place to start.

2x2s lashed together with fairly thick hemp (I think) rope worked in December for me, but not more recently, I think my lashings were to blame. I'm 240lbs. Strength of the wood did not seem to be an issue at all even with the 2x2s.

Dimensions that have worked for me are 8' poles (effectively 7.5' after a few inches on the ends for wraps). But my longest hammock is 10'.

Searching for my posts at this link: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...archid=9511469 might get you started (including Latherdome, GadgetUK, and others' specific responses).

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 0°
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGravity View Post
    Hangdang, a majority of my posts are about building a Tensahedron out of wood (2x2s or tree stakes, which are thicker). I've got a few failures due to poor lashing, but haven't tried shear lashing yet. So not sure if they are "best practices" but a place to start.

2x2s lashed together with fairly thick hemp (I think) rope worked in December for me, but not more recently, I think my lashings were to blame. I'm 240lbs. Strength of the wood did not seem to be an issue at all even with the 2x2s.

Dimensions that have worked for me are 8' poles (effectively 7.5' after a few inches on the ends for wraps). But my longest hammock is 10'.

Searching for my posts at this link: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...archid=9511469 might get you started (including Latherdome, GadgetUK, and others' specific responses).
    Thank you very much...kind of like the tree stake thing...I have an idea for lashing, will see before reporting.

Images
    Just want to toss out this musing for discussion:

Would a "Tensahedron Chair" ever work?

I'm looking for an alternative to the backpacker chair frequently sold by REI et al that won't tip backwards.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Would a "Tensahedron Chair" ever work?
    Yes. In the patent app What's more, the much shorter length poles required means much lighter materials can be used, such as common tent poles.

Should also work, maybe even better, with the Arrowhead/Terrapin "transverse" style. On my bucket list, but maybe you'll beat me to it!
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 70 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast