Page 116 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1213
    Hi did you ever find a solution, I am also around 380 lbs and looking for a portable solution for me and my monkey bike. I have made various stands, some accommodate two hammocks one even three side by side, I have various portable stands for the van and the lowest weight I have gotten down to is about 40lbs but that holds my weight no problem and accommodates both my gathered end hammock, my Amok Draumr XL but as yet I’ve to find a solution for my motor bike. I have looked at the tensa solution but it’s too much money to modify straight out of the box and requires more than one anchor point for my weight. If you have any answers I’d love to hear them.

Images
    If the hammock is attached directly to a pole, and not to the lashing that holds the poles together, how strong does the lashing have to be? Since it is mainly just keeping the poles together, and the occupied hammock is not pulling on the lashing directly, but only on the pole? Would something like 550 cord be strong enough?

About how much force does the foot end tether need to resist? It can be tethered indoors, right? So I wouldn't think it would be a whole lot of pressure, nothing like the force of hanging a hammock from a wall stud in the house. OTOH, I have already had a 9" long, round stake pull out of damp ground on me. I'd like to pull back onto the patio, but I'm not sure if I have enough rope to reach that tree I tethered to the other day. And the ground is even wetter, we had a ton of rain since my first try a couple of days ago. I am thinking about DIYing a boom stake from some scrap metal I have lying around.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    About how much force does the foot end tether need to resist?
    In post #1148, I mentioned several factors that affect how much tensile force is on the foot anchor line, but I think as a rough order of magnitude, plan for a worst case around 50%-75% of the occupant's weight + any counterweight being used. That figure is kind of a rough guess based on intuition and personal experience, and also I am loath to doing statics calculations. jeff-oh (and/or Latherdome) is able and maybe willing to give a better, more calculated estimate.

What I might try at some point is adding a fish scale into my foot anchor line, to see what the peak force is in my typical setup. Not sure if the scale I have is up to that challenge though. I can probably borrow a crane scale from a friend who hunts.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 10-29-2020 at 14:22.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    In post #1148, I mentioned several factors that affect how much tensile force is on the foot anchor line, but I think as a rough order of magnitude, plan for a worst case around 50%-75% of the occupant's weight + any counterweight being used. That figure is kind of a rough guess based on intuition and personal experience, and also I am loath to doing statics calculations. jeff-oh (and/or Latherdome) is able and maybe willing to give a better, more calculated estimate.

What I might try at some point is adding a fish scale into my foot anchor line, to see what the peak force is in my typical setup. Not sure if the scale I have is up to that challenge though. I can probably borrow a crane scale from a friend who hunts.
    Thanks, CM. I'll go back and read that post, looks like i missed it. But really, even 50% of my 206 lbs is probably too much to expect that round nail like stake to hold me in soft, wet- or even dry- ground. I wonder if a boom stake needs to be welded, or if I can just put that round 9" long stake thru a similar sized hole in a piece of scrap metal? I don't have an orange stake handy, but I think they do have those metal screw in stakes for dog leashes at the local big box stores like you mentioned, might could use one of those.

EDIT: nope, I already read that recent #1148 post, I was just wondering if any one kew about how many lbs. Sounds like maybe 100 to 150Lbs for me, which is too much for what I tried to do.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-29-2020 at 15:28.

Images
    Q1: does it matter which pole(the near vs the far) the hammock is attached to? Safety or strength wise? Reason: for some unkown to me reason, I am finding myself closer to the bars on one side than the other. Attaching to the other (outer) pole might move my connection point a bit more to the other side, and give me a tiny bit more RL length)

Q2: assuming bars a few inches over 8' and an 11 ft gathered hammock, is there a common base separation that most are finding works best for both adequate height and bar contact avoidance? How about a 10 ft hammock?

Q3: with a WBRR, is the best approach a narrow base, allowing a greater distance between poles(longer RL) while still supplying adequate height? Or is some other approach used for the WBRR to keep the bars off of the poles?

Q4: If a narrow base is the answer for a WBRR, how narrow can we go and maintain stability/safety? 4 ft? 3?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-31-2020 at 19:22.

Images
    I set up a 300kg mini crane scale on my Tensa 4 foot anchor line today. I did this indoors hooked to an eye bolt in the sole plate of my garage framing, not outodors anchored in soil. Using my typical stand setup in a GE hammock (though no quilts were attached) and with a 5lb counterweight hanging off one of the head end poles, I measured 3.6 lbs tension on the unoccupied hammock and about 42 lbs at steady state with me (175 lbs) in it. Peak forces from movements in the hammock measured between 50-60lbs, I think. This scale doesn't have a peak hold, so I set up my phone to take a video. The scale display doesn't refresh quickly enough to get an exact reading on those peak forces.

BillyBob - I like to have the 'outside' bar for each SIDE of the stand be the side that my head and feet will be on, respectively. So the stand isn't a mirror of itself across the baseline. For the head of the stand, both pole feet are on the inside, closest to the hammock axis, and for the foot end of the stand, both pole feet are on the outside. That is for a head right, feet left lay.

I attach the foot anchor line to the outboard pole, and I hang the hammock from the cordage that lashes the poles together. All the cordage is Amsteel in my stand.

Q3 - That's the way I do it. Others may do it differently.

Q4 - Not sure what the sensible limit is, but 3-4 ft feels safe enough to me, especially if it's planted in soil and not a hard floor.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I set up a 300kg mini crane scale on my Tensa 4 foot anchor line today. I did this indoors hooked to an eye bolt in the sole plate of my garage framing, not outodors anchored in soil. Using my typical stand setup in a GE hammock (though no quilts were attached) and with a 5lb counterweight hanging off one of the head end poles, I measured 3.6 lbs tension on the unoccupied hammock and about 42 lbs at steady state with me (175 lbs) in it. Peak forces from movements in the hammock measured between 50-60lbs, I think. This scale doesn't have a peak hold, so I set up my phone to take a video. The scale display doesn't refresh quickly enough to get an exact reading on those peak forces.

BillyBob - I like to have the 'outside' bar for each SIDE of the stand be the side that my head and feet will be on, respectively. So the stand isn't a mirror of itself across the baseline. For the head of the stand, both pole feet are on the inside, closest to the hammock axis, and for the foot end of the stand, both pole feet are on the outside. That is for a head right, feet left lay.

I attach the foot anchor line to the outboard pole, and I hang the hammock from the cordage that lashes the poles together. All the cordage is Amsteel in my stand.

Q3 - That's the way I do it. Others may do it differently.

Q4 - Not sure what the sensible limit is, but 3-4 ft feels safe enough to me, especially if it's planted in soil and not a hard floor.
    Man, what great info, CMC4Free! 40 to 60 lbs? Even with my 205 lbs today, I don't think I need to worry about my 300 lb safe working load rope that runs to the tree.

I mentioned that something was causing my hammock to be centered closer to the left side than the right. If I attach to the outboard pole, it seems to center the hammock better. But I have not yet had the nerve to put my weight in the hammock while attached to the outer pole. Seems like I read somewhere to NOT do that? OTOH, I think i see a picture at the Tensa make your own page, Mike Jones’ build about 1/2 way down the page, looks like he is attached to the outboard pole, so maybe that is safe?
    https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/make-yo...ahedron-stand/

Images

Finally! Lots of tweaking!

But at least I am hanging- at least with my 10 ft Claytor No Net- in fine style. At long last not contacting any pole! One down, other hammocks and bridge hammocks to go.

However, it has been a wild and woolly morning, maybe no one caught any of it on video, my wife says she did not witness any of the repeated humiliations. I was convinced I needed longer then 8'3" bars. But, last night I had an idea after repeatedly staring at several other folks set ups. But it dawned on me last night that most of them were a good bit wider at the base than I have been. And most of them seemed to have the hammock a good bit closer to the head end apex than I did, using less suspension. So it occurred to me to widen it way out, then attach the hammock closer to the head end apex, then adjust the foot end so that the hammock sag was correct(no RL on this hammock), then narrow the base the minimum amount to have adequate sit height.

So I had errands this morning, but was anxious to get home and give it a try. So I did, and sat down. Looking good so far! I lay back, and the stands feet scooted towards the foot end tether and my back is on the ground! I even missed my cushions, since the stand rotated some as it scooted towards the foot end. But, no bruises because it let me down gentle, didn't even taco, as soon as my back touched the ground it stopped moving. I'm thinking what the heck, I never heard of that one. Keep in mind, I had no stability problems on previous attempts, the only problem was bar contact. So what was different?

AHA! I did not use the counterweight! Added the counterweight, adjusted every thing and gently got back in. All seems cool. Went to lay down, the stand's feet scoot on my patio surface towards the tree, and I am once again on my back. Bloody heck, what's happening? There is a black streak on my patio where one of the rubber feet burned rubber!

Looking at the feet, I see that on the right side, where the burned rubber tracks are, the rope I have running thru eye bolts and lashed around the feet is looking pretty loose, maybe allowing too much distance between the poles at the ground. So I replace with a biner thru the eye bolts. The other side looks OK. At some point, I notice that the rope running from foot end to tree is at an angle. It is not lined up straight with the RL. So I move some furniture allowing me to get at a better angle. I hop in and lay back, BOOM! All feels vary stable, and I have plenty of clearance from the bars on head end and foot end. YAY!

Still, one problem remains: it seems that my patio is a very low friction surface. If I bounce around in there or turn to my side, it still wants to slip towards the foot anchor/tree. I must be very careful to, of all things, not have too much weight towards the HEAD end! The opposite of the normal worry. This is probably why I had zero issues when just sitting, even bouncing around. Because all of the weight was close to the center line. But shift that weight too much towards the head end, and those feet want to scoot, slipping on my patio, towards the foot end. I have considered a tether from the feet to a head end anchor, but if my weight is balanced correctly no issues. I have wondered if the angle of my rope to the foot of the tree 35 ft away is contributing to the feet slipping?

No more head banging on the bars, yay!

Lots of room on my side:

Feet are in the clear:

Now to try some other hammocks, including a WBRR and HT90, Oh my!

Images
    All seems to be going pretty well with this DIY stand. I rigged up a sort of boom stake, which has held pretty well, no signs that it has moved at all.

Boom stake folks, does it matter how long the boom is? Is longer better or worse?

I'd like to move my stand up under the patio roof(or even indoors ), so I must come up with something as an anchor. I have considered sinking some kind of eye bolt into concrete next to the bedroom wall, near floor level. (I am getting protests against the idea of mounting it higher on the wall, or drilling anywhere for that matter) How do Y'all think a door knob in a metal door would do? Strong enough? Or maybe run a rope under the door, then wrapped around a shoe or a short piece of 2X4 to provide a wider pressure area? (but that might cause too much leak around the seal on a door between bedroom and exterior)

Or I suppose I could just leave it as is- my wife's preference- with the end of my hammock not covered by the roof- and just use a tarp when needed.

Hammock
    WBBB / Chameleon
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    SLD TW / CRO UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    As a Locksmith, I would say do not use the door knob. I will pull it right off the spindle.

If you have to use a door, slip the strap through a partly open door on the hinge side and secure with your orange screw tube.
    Then shut the door, using the tube to brace against the door and jamb. Check frequently for damage issues.

Don't use the opening side of the door like that as the latch would not like that much pressure.

I pulled the leg off of a 200 lb table. It took a couple of weeks to finally let go, but when it did, it was dramatic.
    I missed the warning signs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 116 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118 ... LastLast