banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
    I really like this concept and am very interested. I agree that the reasonably-light model would be the best to bring to market first as I suspect most would not be looking to backpack with it. Packable size is probably more important than weight.

Have you explored some of the high-strength aluminium alloys?
    Thanks for that feedback. Yes, I am presently highly engaged in exploring fancy aluminum poles. First test failed, which is why I said earlier I don't think I can stay under 4lbs in aluminum.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would probably go aluminum if given the choice. Main reason is my assumption that it would be more affordable. 200# weight limit is getting a little too close for my personal comfort level. I would go for a 250# capacity item if given the choice. If looking for a Mojave Desert tester...keep me in mind!

Hammock
    Dutchware, BearButt
    Tarp
    WB-SF, KC-Batwing
    Insulation
    PLUQ,AHE-NR,WL-BWK
    Suspension
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Well, help me out. This can be cheap and bulky and heavy, or light and compact (packed) and expensive. I want to learn the shape of the curves in between, and where the demand points are to see what economies of scale support.

I just learned that I can't likely stay under 4 lbs in aluminum, which costs way less than carbon fiber. How much would you (consider) paying for a sub-4-lb, optimally compact carbon fiber stand? What if the aluminum version were 5.5lbs and 150% the packed size but cost half the CF version?

These are straight-up market research questions. I don't know if against terms of site. I'll pull down if so. I guess before long I'll be seeking beta testers. But I have to knock down more poles of what obviously won't work before that would be meaningful.
    Well, I'm not willing to pay $250 for a 22lb BooneDox drifter. But that's 22lbs.
    Under $100 for my budget is a "Buy it, you'll justify it later." Between $100 and $200 is a "Can I justify this cost right now?"
    If you had something that would support 250# or even 350# and it weighed < 10 lbs and could be packed on a bike without looking like I was jousting, I'd justify the cost.
    Something that weighed sub-4-lbs and could be attached to a backpack or carried in a carry-on suitcase .... well, I have a bank account for "Saving until I get enough $$ to buy {whatever the item is that I really want}"

I'd prefer the aluminum since I'd likely only end up using it a couple of times a year.

There, you've my actual thoughts on it (as chaotic as those thoughts actually are).

Images
    Well, help me out. I just learned that I can't likely stay under 4 lbs in aluminum, which costs way less than carbon fiber. How much would you (consider) paying for a sub-4-lb, optimally compact carbon fiber stand? What if the aluminum version were 5.5lbs and 150% the packed size but cost half the CF version? I guess before long I'll be seeking beta testers.
    If I may interject...price to pay would depend on intended use, location to be more specific. Personally I'd intend to use this indoors 80-90% of the time. The occasional recreational hang by the pool or at a park, all in more civilized developed confines. 5.5lbs is a fine weight point and pack down size is sufficiently small enough for a vehicle.

Compare this with a Tato stand. 20+lbs, would likely be a similar pack down size, $300+, well, you'd see where the market is bearing on pricing.

I wouldn't use your innovation in the wild, again, personally. However there would be those who most assuredly would. Again, by comparison to current market, your lightest version would have to compete or be competitive to garner a profound market share. People in our genre understand the lighter you go the more you pay, but there will be a tipping point, (see what I did there?).

As to holding limits, under 250 would make me nervous.

I'd still find myself in the sign me up line. Many questions to answer in the future for you. Oh, and add me to you beta guinea pig list.
    Last edited by Dead Man; 10-19-2017 at 05:13.

Images
    Interesting note. Have you tried this on slippery surfaces?
    The wooden one I made worked fine on grass. But I took it to work to show the guys on watch, and found that the feet slipped on the polished floor of the appliance bay. They slipped towards the tethered end, when I sat in the hammock, and would have fallen over if not held in place by my workmates.
    A rubber pad under the legs would prolly have fixed that.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    A rubber pad under the legs would prolly have fixed that.
    Haven't experienced directly, but noted and not surprising, especially if your imbalance is more than minimal. Ideal joint/connector material leans rubberized such as swatches of grommeted tire casing. My first proto used lengths of reinforced vinyl hose.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 10-19-2017 at 06:14.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Fascinating design! This could be history in the making. Many years ago, Hammock Forums was a hotbed of constant innovation. New concepts, such as Whoopie slings to bridge hammocks, were being introduced monthly and refined by the community at large. This fondly reminds me of those exciting times.
    As to the potential market, how about city slickers who live in condos and have access only to common grounds or city parks that ban anything on trees. I live in the mega-metropolis of Southeast Florida where half the population fits this profile.
    In the local parks, my wife and I use the ultralight carbon fiber stands that have to be assembled, with 12 stakes strategically placed. There is a lot of setup time that could be lounging time. Also, stating the obvious, this has half the parts of a turtledog stand.
    So, a configuration that fits the trunk of most cars and is light enough to carry a 100 yards through a park would attract the user I described.

Other users would include desert hikers who would need an ultralight & compact setup. Airline passengers would also need this for size & weight baggage restrictions.
    Then there is the home user who would not be concerned about weight and might require it only to stand up in a corner, fitting under an 8' ceiling.

At any rate, you got my adrenaline going just like the days of yesteryear when I joined Hammock Forums. Thank you for that!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MAD777; 10-19-2017 at 06:23.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' (Hexon Wide 1.6)
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CDT Underquilt
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin Spike
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    I hope you don't mind Todd, but I wanted to do a proof (to me) of concept,

I used four 10' lengths of 2x2" and four hinges,

Made two 10' sided equilateral triangles (used a strop for the bottom side)

worked pretty well,

Interesting to see Gadget's DIY version.
    I had been thinking about attempting this by repurposing my 4' military masts (8 of them).
    I just needed to decide what to use for the joints/hinges (and a work server outage killed any productive time for me yesterday).

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari Asym Classic
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Costco Down Throw
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This is my <4-lb, 98% free-standing "Fulcrum Stand." Can be set up on a beach, a slope, in a parking lot, or on top of a twin bed. No ground staking required: single anchor can be the base of a shrub, big rock, cooler, motorcycle, bed frame, etc.: it just manages balance, not needing to bear the user's weight.

Most who've seen it have told me to get a patent application in, and when's the Kickstarter etc. OK. Officially patent pending!"

I slept 4 nights in this working prototype before stupidly destroying it in a transport accident. It was in pricey carbon fiber tubing, which I'm certain isn't necessary to do the job. So I'll be iterating in cheaper aluminum.

Also figure it's better to have 4 separately shock-corded poles than one continuous.

Mind Blown!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dkurfiss; 10-26-2017 at 18:03.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari Asym Classic
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Costco Down Throw
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by KG5AYJ-Chad View Post
    Mind Blown!

Here's an idea. How about making the four main poles telescopic? You wouldn't reduce weight much except for nixing the shock cord but you would reduce bulk to four short poles with all of the nested segments inside. You could use pins to ensure the pieces stay locked out when in use. In ham radio we use telescopic fiberglass masts to get our wire antennas up in the air (30 ft or so) and so there is material out there that can be repurposed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 122 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast