Kammok Mantis
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

Question Kammok Bug net repair help

Hi! I have a Kammok Mantis hammock with a bug net that zips onto the hammock. I had a mishap this weekend during a camping trip and ripped the netting at the seam at the end of the hammock. I have no idea how to fix this. Does anyone here have a suggestion? I am sorta kinda handy with sewing, but not terribly good at it. I love my Mantis system, so I really want to salvage this.

IMG_7253.jpg
    Scouter with two Scouts... ​

Are you good with a sewing machine? I'd try to hand sew it first in spots and tack it on, then get the sewing machine out with a darning attachment and finish the repair with that. It'll look a bit messy but the patch would be very strong.

Images
    Since I assume there is tension on the netting when zipped, sewing the ripped edge to the zipper would cause even more tension. You could sew a strip of netting perhaps an inch wide to the torn edge and then sew to the zipper. This might take some experimenting to get it right. Since the netting I'm familiar with doesn't fray a couple lines of regular stitching should work.

Hammock
    Kammok Mantis
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Mattnin, I do have a machine, so I can try that. I haven't used a darning attachment, so I'd need to see if one came with my machine. What I had brainstormed was using binding around the edge of the mesh and then try to sew the binding back to the edge where it ripped from the full net structure by the zippers.

Hammock
    Kammok Mantis
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    Since I assume there is tension on the netting when zipped, sewing the ripped edge to the zipper would cause even more tension. You could sew a strip of netting perhaps an inch wide to the torn edge and then sew to the zipper. This might take some experimenting to get it right. Since the netting I'm familiar with doesn't fray a couple lines of regular stitching should work.

That is similar to what I had brainstormed. I had considered using some kind of binding fabric around the mesh and then attaching that back to the main structure where it ripped.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by ScouterGA View Post
    That is similar to what I had brainstormed. I had considered using some kind of binding fabric around the mesh and then attaching that back to the main structure where it ripped.
    If it helps, this is what I did when repairing my Warbonnet Eldorado bug net that had torn at the zipper. I cut a little strip of bug net mesh from some leftover I had laying around, and just did a straight stitch with the sewing machine to attach it back to the zipper and the torn area. It looks horrible, but functions great, and relieves a little bit of the stress from that area as well.

Hammock
    Kammok Mantis
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    If it helps, this is what I did when repairing my Warbonnet Eldorado bug net that had torn at the zipper. I cut a little strip of bug net mesh from some leftover I had laying around, and just did a straight stitch with the sewing machine to attach it back to the zipper and the torn area. It looks horrible, but functions great, and relieves a little bit of the stress from that area as well.
    I fully expect my sewing to look pretty bad, but as long as I can get it back together I won't worry about it. I'll update with photos once I finally work on it. I'm still pretty mad that it happened. Oh well. Things happen and everything is a learning experience.

Images
    If appearance is desired, then go ahead and hang the hammock and put weight in it to tension the bug screen.

You should be able to take your scissors and cut a straight line from one side of the green binding to the other side on the existing bug net.

Now pin your new binding to that cut. Adjust as necessary.

Now you can pin your 'spliced' patch of bug net and continue to pin around the entire perimeter. Adjust the replacement bug net as needed to have a nice taught appearance.

When everything looks good, take the hammock down and get to sewing.

Mi hermana cose muy bien...

Quote Originally Posted by ScouterGA View Post
    Mattnin, I do have a machine, so I can try that. I haven't used a darning attachment, so I'd need to see if one came with my machine. What I had brainstormed was using binding around the edge of the mesh and then try to sew the binding back to the edge where it ripped from the full net structure by the zippers.
    If you do decide to use darning, chances are pretty good that a sewing repair shop near you will have an attachment that will fit your machine for fairly cheap. Darning can also be done by hand too. Basically all it is just stitching it together, it's just that a machine will finish the job in just a few minutes and by hand could take an hour, but by hand it'll look nicer.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    They have a lifetime warranty, I had a bad rip called them up and they sent me a replacement no hassle, I didn't have to send my old one in or anything. It was so easy. Call them, their customer service is great

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast