Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    grabbed a quick picture of my son with his super cheap tensa stand. Total from Lowe's for both of our stands together was $19.35 after tax ... pretty cool to get a single hammock stand for less than $10.

Here's his simple hammock setup in a sea of tents:
    IMG_0114.JPG

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    That pic says it all and the price says it louder. Nice!
    The game is the best teacher.

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by poor_jalopy View Post
    grabbed a quick picture of my son with his super cheap tensa stand. Total from Lowe's for both of our stands together was $19.35 after tax ... pretty cool to get a single hammock stand for less than $10.

Here's his simple hammock setup in a sea of tents:
    IMG_0114.JPG
    Request information on the tarp that you used in the set up.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Also parts list please.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My son's tarp is some cheap camo tarp that he bought in the gift shop at a state park some time ago. I think it's one of the first pieces of "camping" gear that he ever bought with his own money. Other than sentimental reasons, he would be on to something different. On the other hand, I use an old rainfly from some coleman tent that my family no longer owns that is really small, yet seems to always just fit me right. I have exactly the space I need (been bone dry through I can't count how many serious storms in it), and absolutely no extra space at all. On the other hand, it packs super small, and weighs next to nothing.

Parts list for each tensa stand: 4 eight foot 2" by 3" pieces of lumber. We lashed them together with scrap paracord, and/or other rope that we've accumulated throughout the years. Anything that was thin, yet seemed strong enough to do the job was hired.

Each piece of wood was around $2.30 give or take some pennies each.

When I put them up, I was extra careful with helping my son lash each board together really well. As a result, his held up very well the whole weekend. I was tired, cranky and not so careful with mine. As a result, I ended up fiddling and refining my setup all weekend (nothing major, one boneheaded mousetrap, and a lot of adjusting an inch here, and there until I was happy).

Hammock
    DIY GE 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    sheer lashings all around?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The initial setup was verbally relayed to my son as, "use whichever lashing you guys have been working on that you think is best while I hold everything still for you."

I was pretty much just making sure that his lashings seems to be a nice balance between letting the boards "adjust" without bringing in any unneeded play. Anything that moved freely without any noticeable force was relashed, and tightened. I've since drilled a single hole about a thumb length from the end of each board because I'm embarrassed to admit that my son's lashing skills have surpassed my own, and I don't want to have to fiddle as much as I have in the future.

Next time, I plan on having one piece of quality rope run through the end holes to make a connect to allow more "natural" corrections from the boards without worrying about them having too much play. Also, I want to speed up the setup time some in the future.

poor jalopy,

Morning. Is there anyway you could do a video and/or pics of your build? I and I think others, would be interested in seeing it. Personally I'd like to build one cheaply at first, to see if it would fit my needs.

Are your wood poles collapsible or can you make them collapsible? How were able to transport the poles?

What size hammock did you hang on your and your son's tensahedron stand?

Thank you in advance, for any and all help.

BTW pat on the back for keeping the Scouting tradition alive.

Bob
    Last edited by Draketake; 03-13-2020 at 11:03.

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am not so good at making videos, but I may try to set up one of our stands this weekend.

My wooden poles aren't collapsable because my truck has an 8 ft bed in the back, and my poles are 8 feet long. this is strictly a car camping set-up for us, and this is my first stab at any type of hammock stand.

I think that if I wanted them to be collapsable, I would rather go with aluminum as the weight would be too much once I start to reinforce the joints created with wood.

My son has a cheap Amazon hammock that he refuses to complain about in any way. He's fairly short (although he's starting to grow like a weed), so I guess it suits him. My hammock is based off of the smallest warbird plans found among the stickies on the do it yourself section of this site. With my footbox and shelf, it ends up being about 8 ft long (although it lays much longer as my feet nestle nicely in the footbox).

This whole stand is almost too simple to accept.

With my end holes drilled, you don't even need good lashing skills (although I haven't told my son that yet).

I may just make a video. However, I still feel like a noob at this hammock stuff, so don't expect anything amazing. Everything that I learned and figured out came from these forums.

poor jalopy,

Thank you for answering so quick. I have a F150 with a short bed (6 foot). The turtle dog stand I built will fit in if i go corner to corner. I made the legs on the TD, at 8 foot. Total build time for that was 1.5 hours.

I spent about 2 hours today reading post on the tebsahedron stand. I just cant put it all together in my head.

I do love the TD stand. The tensahedron is appealing to me, in that it is simpler and less weight.

Have a good weekend.

Bob

• + New Posts
  • Page 109 of 122 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119 ... LastLast