DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    i feel like the rubber matting i have and pvc caps for the ends will suffice. Also, does the connection geometry just not matter? As in: do the holes all have to be drilled the sameish 3.5" from the ends of the conduit on every end; does the steel (love amsteel blue, doubt it'd survive) cable loop length need to be 1' looped, 3"overlapped in the clamp set 1.5" from each opposing end; must the strap across the bottom maintain the sameish 4.25' every time; does the guy line have to be 7', plus a foot loop of shock cord; what size of shock cord....blegh...OR just shhhlap it together and sway easy? i have all the tools i'd need, could manage the four 10' poles on the minisuv, my OCD wouldn't let me just shhhlap it together, but i dunno if it needs to be identical or if there needs to be some variance. does the webbing at the base need to be webbing for this model, or could i just use paracord?
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    I will gladly be a beta tester.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    i feel like the rubber matting i have and pvc caps for the ends will suffice. Also, does the connection geometry just not matter? As in: do the holes all have to be drilled the sameish 3.5" from the ends of the conduit on every end; does the steel (love amsteel blue, doubt it'd survive) cable loop length need to be 1' looped, 3"overlapped in the clamp set 1.5" from each opposing end; must the strap across the bottom maintain the sameish 4.25' every time; does the guy line have to be 7', plus a foot loop of shock cord; what size of shock cord....blegh...OR just shhhlap it together and sway easy? i have all the tools i'd need, could manage the four 10' poles on the minisuv, my OCD wouldn't let me just shhhlap it together, but i dunno if it needs to be identical or if there needs to be some variance. does the webbing at the base need to be webbing for this model, or could i just use paracord?
    There's no need to let the poles cross as with holes drilled inches down. Loops short as allows for non-binding movement should do. You want to be able to adjust the geometry freely to adapt to whatever hammock length, preferred seat height, shoulder/foot clearance, etc. 8' poles are long enough in most cases tested, but maybe you have an extra long hammock and are 6'6" etc? You could start long and chop down until you find the sweet spot for your use cases. Strap, cord... up to you. Easy to adjust versus clean-looking versus cheap versus available: it's a project.

Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Commercial version update: Raftingtigger and I’ve got together a remarkably compact and light prototype we’re >90% likely to push soon into a small beta production run. We won’t be publicly discussing details of product development, but will continue to support and draw insight from ongoing DIY efforts here.

When we are ready to ship beta versions to testers we select based on diversity (body sizes, usage models, experience levels etc.), we’ll announce here with a pointer to a new thread in the “Other vendors” forum, to keep this thread DIY-focused. Please forgive total lack of response to beta tester inquiries until we're ready to respond with NDA, firm ship date, etc.
    Will you post 'Here' when you post 'There'?

If price point is reasonable I would probably wait to buy rather than DIY. I could, but have my hand in a few other things.
    Would there be an option for some kit, to add to the heavy items available at the local hardware store?

Ken in NC
    5'10" 205, very limited experience, I live in the mountains.
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Commercial version update: Raftingtigger and I’ve got together a remarkably compact and light prototype we’re >90% likely to push soon into a small beta production run. We won’t be publicly discussing details of product development, but will continue to support and draw insight from ongoing DIY efforts here.

When we are ready to ship beta versions to testers we select based on diversity (body sizes, usage models, experience levels etc.), we’ll announce here with a pointer to a new thread in the “Other vendors” forum, to keep this thread DIY-focused. Please forgive total lack of response to beta tester inquiries until we're ready to respond with NDA, firm ship date, etc.
    Awesome to hear!

Just in case, I’m 5’8”, 155
    10’ and 11’ hammocks.

Hammock
    DIY GE 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Man this would have been great to have on the last half dozen Jeep outings. Kinda a pin to rig a hammock between to Jeeps that leave everyday for trails. Clearly weight isn't really all that relevant but storage size might be.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    Where the attachment is doesn't seem to be important. I drilled mine close to the ends and pulled the steel cable sorta tight. Also tested by lashing with amsteel or ratchet strapping. Amsteel will break in this application due to the sharp edges of the conduit.

Breakdown is a 30 second operation. We found this week we didn't even unhook the hammocks. Just folded it over picked it up and walked on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    I was thinking abut this or for inside or soft conditions outside. How about a simple 6” x 12 or even 12 x 12 piece of plywood or even scrap linoleum under the pivots to help distribute the weight and pressure?
    We were in sand this week with no issues. You could use rubber chair leg covers. I wouldn't be worried about slippage as much as damage to the indoor surface.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by daneaustin3 View Post
    We were in sand this week with no issues. You could use rubber chair leg covers. I wouldn't be worried about slippage as much as damage to the indoor surface.

Thanks!

I’ve been wanting to make one of these, just entirely too busy right now. I am able to get out tonight and try a couple of cold weather setups. One of these would certainly shorten my walk back to the wood line when I hang at home!

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by knightshade View Post
    There are many options.
    Look at the top of page 27:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...n-Stand/page27

That post seems to be the "bare bones" version.
    - Cost effective
    - if needed (for weight reasons) just upscale to the next diameter of EMT pipe.

The biggest tradeoff with that version is portability - it is an 8' long, ~5 inch bundle to transport.
    Suppose you wanted a more portable EMT version. As in shorter to pack, and the weight wasn't a problem.

These are 7.5' poles. Think 3 sections, or 4 or 5: however short you need it to be. Every other segment is 1 size up from the base size, say 3/4" and 1" alternating. Drill the 1" segments through maybe 3 inches from the cuts, and pass a bolt through, locknut on the other side. Then you can slide the smaller sections into the larger, and they'll stop at the through-bolts. Quick and dirty way to do "ferrules". Then you could shock-cord it together. Don't like the slop? Tape up the inserts to a snug-enough fit.

• + New Posts
  • Page 30 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast