banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Wow that's really thinking outside the box. Good job.

Really thought it was cool that only one side had to be staked!
    Story: At one point I thought of this as like a turtlelady/dog with bipods instead of tripods, whose 4 legs touched to make 2 feet. First assembly had a ridge pole, which I figured would be in compression. I anchored only one end in haste to try it. When I got in, I was surprised to see the apexes splay, leaving my ridge pole suspended by the shock cord inside it, bearing no load. Then I realized that the unmoored apex stabilized only a couple inches out, needing no further support. Shear and downward forces balance when you let them.

And then you have a tiny footprint, those 2 feet finding a level on any slope, and around half the necessary pole footage of a turtle type. With turtle stands, if you use the same material for ridge pole as tripods, your tripods are overbuilt/overweight or your ridge pole under. With this, all poles have identical strength requirement so easier to optimize in a cost/weight/space sense.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 10-19-2017 at 22:37.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by knightshade View Post
    In thinking it over - I am curious how this works with tarps....
    so long as it doesn't tip at all, I imagine it is plausible
    Pretty certain it will work fine with tarps as long as any tarp support member higher than the apexes isn't connected in a way that imparts bending moment to the support poles.

In fact I think a tarp guyed down at 4 points could make any further guying of the stand superfluous. The stand itself bears the load: any further guying is just to help keep it balanced, and the imbalance is a relatively small force to be countered.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I like it a lot but how long of a hammock can I use with it? 10' 11' 12'??? Looking forward to seeing more about it like price, weight in the new material.. etc...etc.
    As mentioned elsewhere I haven't yet determined what it will cost or weigh to cover all cases. If you don't care much about low weight it should be fairly cheap and easy to make one that would support a 12' hammock with 500lbs in it: solid wood beams or steel fence poles etc.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekoob View Post
    I like it. I've been thinking about a "portible" stand (other than my two conduit turtle dog stands) but it would need to be able to fit on my motorcycle. Looks like this might be the one.

DETAILS!

If this isn't going to be a DIY or similar I'm also going to need to know pricing.
    Yup, packable on a bike is a must for me personally. Re pricing, it's always going to be tough to beat DIY pricing on heavier/bulkier implementations, given the relative simplicity of construction, but not everybody wants to build their own patio furniture even if cheaper that way. On the ultralight end I think it will be easier to beat DIY pricing made in any volume.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post
    I sleep in a hammock at home full-time. So when we travel (in-laws, vacation, etc.) I have to sleep in a bed. I've looked at stands but the size, both assembled and disassembled, have put me off. I can see this in a hotel room and the mother-in-laws spare bedroom very easily. If and when you get to a production model or kick starter, I'll be in that line. It's very intuitive in design. Nicely done.
    Me too! 4.5 years now every night except when traveling, and then it's a mild crisis that i have to try to sleep in a bed. This footprint is small enough to set up on top of a twin bed, and packs to carry-on luggage size along with other stuff. Low ceiling might make a brace for the foot end, or else guy to the bedframe. Weak anchors suffice.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by rick417 View Post
    Looks like a great solution for desert camping, with or without a vehicle. Joshua Tree National Park, for example, specifically states hammocks cannot be attached to any vegetation and to attach to rocks/boulders using climbing anchors. This appears simpler. Echo the rainfly and hammock length questions.
    I was riding motorscooter 1000 miles through mostly desert (Nevada) last month as the last bits of the puzzle fell into place for me. You shouldn't have to use Google's satellite view to find the only trees within 50 miles to find a place to sleep, and then to have to ignore no trespassing signs to get to those trees... With this I could have stopped on a salt flat and used the bike as anchor.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Very impressive
    But is it much, Dutch? I've got your bling on that suspension, through Jeremy/Bonefire. Means a lot coming from you, thank you.

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    I have subscribed to this thread. I'm very interested in seeing how this develops and hopefully comes on the market.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Me too! 4.5 years now every night except when traveling, and then it's a mild crisis that i have to try to sleep in a bed. This footprint is small enough to set up on top of a twin bed, and packs to carry-on luggage size along with other stuff. Low ceiling might make a brace for the foot end, or else guy to the bedframe. Weak anchors suffice.
    I'm the same way too! Ever since I started hanging full time about a year and a half ago I've dreaded having to stay in hotels. My oldest daughter (16) does competition cheerleading so we travel quite a bit durging the winter and early spring. By the second day I usually feel like I got hit by a bus! Between having to sleep in a bed and being tired from the long drive or flight my whole body is stiff, knotted and sore. I always take a hammock with me on the off chance that I'd be able to rig it up in the room or on the balcony somehow lol. Something like this is EXACTLY what ive been looking for!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Yup, packable on a bike is a must for me personally. Re pricing, it's always going to be tough to beat DIY pricing on heavier/bulkier implementations, given the relative simplicity of construction, but not everybody wants to build their own patio furniture even if cheaper that way. On the ultralight end I think it will be easier to beat DIY pricing made in any volume.
    I appreciate your replies to each post.

Packable on the bike would be a must for me too and I realize that doesn't mean backpacking weight is needed.

I hear you on the DIY side. I'm a hands on and like making/ building/ working on what I can. Like most, I do have limitations.

Looking forward to future info.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 122 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast