DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    Thanks, I was hoping it would be a little less long thinking that hammock ridgelines are like 80% of hammock lengths?
    I switched from whoopie slings to straps with buckles (Dream Hammock Sparrow) so that I could have shorter suspension when using my Tensa stand, but it would still be 11' to 12' from one end of the stand to the other. I have used a 12' ridgeline winter tarp and the hammock stand was completely within that tarp, but not by a huge amount. I think it would be a little tricky to be under 11' unless there was practically no suspension and you just had the ridgeline length and little else.

Geometry suggestions

I’ve been absent from the forum for a while, about 2.5 years, actually. I’m back and because of an upcoming car camping trip to a location that doesn’t allow anything to be attached to trees, I’ve put together an EMT tensahedron style stand. Thanks to everyone here, and especially to Latherdome, for so openly providing great guides. It has come together nicely, but I haven’t done much testing. I have a couple of weeks, so I will do lots of test hangs. After all the drilling and grommets (thanks Rat, I copied your hand-peened “artisanal” copper), I am wondering if anyone has come up with an ideal geometry. I have amsteel soft shackles planned for the pole-to-pole connections, a webbing strap planned across the bottom, and my pole lengths are adjustable on 6 in. increments (thanks Mike from the TensaOutdoors blog).

I really wanted a Tensa4, but couldn’t quite yet justify the $. I will prob do it yet, but wanted to try the DIY. As you can tell, I have borrowed many of the great ideas presented over the years in this very thread. I have also read, and sometimes zoned out, on some of the maths-heavy posts.

Anyway, thanks all, and please let me know any hints as go about adjusting lengths and angles.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

Tensahedron Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen1119 View Post
    I am wondering if anyone has come up with an ideal geometry.
    Ideal is no fixed angles, allowing stand to move to adapt to different hammocks, weight distributions, movements, etc. Maybe I misunderstand your question. Shorter poles are stronger per weight, but too short and you run into head/foot and ground clearance issues with larger users/hammocks. Too long? Weaker for weight, but you get more headroom under larger tarps without having to rig extensions.

For adjustment tips, check the adjustment section of the Tensa4 user guide linked on site. Some of it is exactly opposite how you’d adjust with tree suspension. For example, to lessen ridgeline tension you *shorten* the suspension.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen1119 View Post
    I really wanted a Tensa4, but couldn’t quite yet justify the $. I will prob do it yet, but wanted to try the DIY.
    Did you see the price of conduit has gone up? Not sure I want to experiment for that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Ideal is no fixed angles, allowing stand to move to adapt to different hammocks, weight distributions, movements, etc. Maybe I misunderstand your question. Shorter poles are stronger per weight, but too short and you run into head/foot and ground clearance issues with larger users/hammocks. Too long? Weaker for weight, but you get more headroom under larger tarps without having to rig extensions.

For adjustment tips, check the adjustment section of the Tensa4 user guide linked on site. Some of it is exactly opposite how you’d adjust with tree suspension. For example, to lessen ridgeline tension you *shorten* the suspension.
    When I read the question, I thought in terms of correct or ideal stand ridge line length and/or base line width for say a 10 ft, or 11 ft, or most especially for a WB Ridgerunner. It only seems to me to be important with the WBRR. All of my gathered end hammocks just seems to be a matter of long enough between apex to fit the hammock and suspension if any, then wide enough for a feet reaching the ground chair height. Just like with trees. Though I suppose some additional minor adjustments might be needed if contacting one of the poles.

But the WBRR, OTOH, is quite a bit trickier, seems to me. That is where knowing the stand RL length and width to at least start with could save a lot of trial and error. I'm thinking 13 ft distance between the stand apexes? But width? I suppose same: adjust for chair height, but the spreader bars might contact the stand unless using the right stand length and width.

But, I might not understand the question.

Hammock
    WBO BBXLC 2nd Gen
    Tarp
    WBO Thunderfly
    Insulation
    TQ, UQ, windsock
    Suspension
    UHMWPE + Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    When I read the question, I thought in terms of correct or ideal stand ridge line length and/or base line width for say a 10 ft, or 11 ft, or most especially for a WB Ridgerunner. It only seems to me to be important with the WBRR. All of my gathered end hammocks just seems to be a matter of long enough between apex to fit the hammock and suspension if any, then wide enough for a feet reaching the ground chair height. Just like with trees. Though I suppose some additional minor adjustments might be needed if contacting one of the poles.
    But the WBRR, OTOH, is quite a bit trickier, seems to me. That is where knowing the stand RL length and width to at least start with could save a lot of trial and error. I'm thinking 13 ft distance between the stand apexes? But width? I suppose same: adjust for chair height, but the spreader bars might contact the stand unless using the right stand length and width.

But, I might not understand the question.
    No, I'm reading and thinking what you read, thought, and wrote.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    newbnewb, I feel your pain. Last time I was gonna just pickup some fence top rail poles for a project, I found they had nearly doubled in price. So I had to pass.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    New Tensa4 owner here, I've put it up a couple times now. Took a bit of tweaking to get it so my head wasn't touching the pole. I have a question about the straps. There are at least 3, or 2 if you count the anchor strap and the hammock daisy chain being a single strap. Does it matter if the straps are attached to the ball-loop connectors on the inside or the outside of the structure? Seems like it works either way, just route the straps between the poles. But I was wondering if it affected the load rating.
    Thanks,
    Eric
    Last edited by mruseless; 09-12-2022 at 16:12.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by mruseless View Post
    New Tensa4 owner here, I've put it up a couple times now. Took a bit of tweaking to get it so my head wasn't touching the pole. I have a question about the straps. There are at least 3, or 2 if you count the anchor strap and the hammock daisy chain being a single strap. Does it matter if the straps are attached to the ball-loop connectors on the inside or the outside of the structure? Seems like it works either way, just route the straps between the poles. But I was wondering if it affected the load rating.
    Thanks,
    Eric
    Hi - it doesn’t matter. The ball loop connectors transfer the load to the poles the same almost regardless how straps are attached. About the only thing wrong you can do is hang hammock from a loop that goes over both poles, bypassing the connectors. The loop will slide down the inverted V and exert a pinching force / side load on the poles that can buckle them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WB BBXLC
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks Latherdome, Great product!

• + New Posts
  • Page 120 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122 LastLast