Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    OK. This looks like the best place to ask this question. I am now a proud home owner and want to have a hammock hang area in my backyard. I have no suitable trees and don't want a permanent solution such as 6x6 post in the yard. I want to be able to move the hammock around the yard to take advantage of sun/shade or lack there of. I already own a Tensa4 and use it mainly for indoor use when visiting relatives. I just demo'd about 210' of chain link fence so I have more than enough fence top rails to make a stand.

Here is the question, I want to make this big enough to accommodate a 12" tarp on a CRL. I don't need it to be portable so do I just need to make the poles longer?
    Got time to breath, you got time for music - Brisco Darlin

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelPlayer View Post
    I want to make this big enough to accommodate a 12" tarp on a CRL. I don't need it to be portable so do I just need to make the poles longer?
    Yes.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    What size Amsteel do I need to make UCR's for either a Tensahedron or Solo style guy lines.
    Got time to breath, you got time for music - Brisco Darlin

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelPlayer View Post
    What size Amsteel do I need to make UCR's for either a Tensahedron or Solo style guy lines.
    7/64" for Solo. Tensahedron doesn't need anywhere near that strength but overkill doesn't hurt. As long as you like, but I'd suggest at least 10'.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Images
    What is the minimum pole length for use with a WB RR hammock, which requires more distance between trees than any of my other hammocks? I think about 13 feet between triangle points/apex.

How does a person stay on the correct side of the base line using a 90ş hammock, without ending up slanted towards one side or the other?

Images
    The RR is not my go-to hammock, but I've used it with the commercial Tensa4 numerous times. That has poles about 8'5" long. Longer poles WOULD make the setup a little easier for the RR, but at an increased risk of bending, buckling, etc.

I've also used it a few times with my Amok Draumr XL. I toyed with setting it up slightly to one side of the centerline, but didn't like it. Now I hang it on a level stand (no tilt) and use anchor lines at both ends of the stand (the only time I ever use any ground anchor at the head end of the stand).
    Last edited by cmc4free; 10-07-2020 at 14:49.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    The RR is not my go-to hammock, but I've used it with the commercial Tensa4 numerous times. That has poles about 8'5" long. Longer poles WOULD make the setup a little easier for the RR, but at an increased risk of bending, buckling, etc.

I've also used it a few times with my Amok Draumr XL. I toyed with setting it up slightly to one side of the centerline, but didn't like it. Now I hang it on a level stand (no tilt) and use anchor lines at both ends of the stand (the only time I ever use any ground anchor at the head end of the stand).
    Thanks!

Can anyone help me calculate the weight bearing capacity? I went ahead a few days ago and ordered (12) 1 inch diameter 7075-T9 aluminum segments from tentpole technologies.
    The wall thickness of 1" tube is .058. The insert OD is .875 and the insert wall thickness is .058.
    for context, I have have dwarfism, I am 4ft 3 in and weigh 76lbs.

I am using (3) 24 inch segments per pole at 6ft lengths. I wanted to create a tensahedron stand at that length, I found that it was perfect for me to get a diagnal lay using a 9ft hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vkennyh View Post
    Can anyone help me calculate the weight bearing capacity? I went ahead a few days ago and ordered (12) 1 inch diameter 7075-T9 aluminum segments from tentpole technologies.
    The wall thickness of 1" tube is .058. The insert OD is .875 and the insert wall thickness is .058.
    for context, I have have dwarfism, I am 4ft 3 in and weigh 76lbs.

I am using (3) 24 inch segments per pole at 6ft lengths. I wanted to create a tensahedron stand at that length, I found that it was perfect for me to get a diagnal lay using a 9ft hammock.
    You will be fine. 1" tubing even in Aluminum is more than capable at that length for your weight.

62501991971__5D2B0A3E-6203-451F-A0C5-85F3DF52F62C.jpg
    IMG_4484.jpg
    Got my 1 in OD aluminum poles yesterday, I added rubber feet and rubber caps to the top. I also bought 1/8 in shock cord, going to run them through each pole and tie them down with 1/8 x 1in fender washers at the ends and then cap them over with the rubber feet and caps. Next step is to drill the holes but I wasn't sure how big of a hole I should drill to run the 7/64 amsteel. I was going to peen the holes with copper but I read that copper has a higher hardness scale than aluminum? How close to the tips do I drill, what diameter should I drill, and what do I use instead to protect the holes?

• + New Posts
  • Page 114 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116 ... LastLast