Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki UQ/HG TQ

Newbie Trip Report and Gear Review

I became interested in hammock camping after seeing some random Facebook ads pop up -- luckily I found my way to this awesome forum and lurked for a while before making purchases! I have a WBBB with a Thunderfly tarp (w/ the Dutch pole mod), Wooki UQ (20 degree), and a Hammock Gear Econ Burrow TQ (40 degree). I used the hammock/tarp for a couple of one-nighter car campouts with the expected learning curve for how to set things up to maximize comfort. I cannot say enough about the comfort and quality of my WBBB - they are simply awesome. Weirdly, I look forward to setting up my gear with hammock camping. With tent camping, it always seemed like a chore.

This past weekend I took a 3 day/2 night trip to Northwest Arkansas and backpacked the 12-13 mile White Rock mountain/Shores Lake loop -- which I recommend if you live anywhere nearby. The first night we camped at an established site near a waterfall with no shortage of good trees to hang between. We were anticipating a cold front the second night, but this night (and the beginning of the second night) were incredibly dank/humid. Like 60-65 degrees and 100% humidity. This presented a bit of a problem with sleeping. My down products developed a funky/gamey odor -- especially the HG TQ made with duck down. Trying to sleep was a constant compromise between being warm and soaked with the TQ trapping moisture against me or being cold and slightly less soaked. I realize this is more of an issue with the conditions than with the products, but it was difficult and I would be interested to know if anyone has a solution for this.

The second night started the same, then the cold front hit at about 3 AM producing heavy rain, wind, and much cooler temperature. I stayed completely dry and the Thunderfly/pole mod worked perfectly. Same down stank, though -- maybe a bit less with the cooler air, but I did stay warm (temps around 45-50). I actually slept as good as if I were at home in my bed. I was a bit disappointed with the Silpoly Thunderfly holding onto the moisture -- I had hoped it would simply shed the water, but it seemed to get a bit waterlogged like silnylon. At least it dried quickly when I set it up after getting home.

I may consider upgrading my TQ at some point to something less stanky, but it got the job done. The smells completely disappeared after the quilts aired out at home away from humidity.
    Overall, I am very happy with my gear, and can safely say I am DONE with tent camping and sleeping on the ground on my camping and backpacking trips!

Thanks to everyone on this forum -- truly an amazing collection of hammock wisdom around here.

Hammock
    11" 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Sometimes the down they get is a little to odorous. Hang it outside in the sun for a few days is should help. It did with mine.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    When I got my 0° set from HG last year it had an odor , but went away after I aired them out. The ECON pillow and new quilt set I got from them last week didn't have any smells at all though.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Never had that problem with my quilts, hope some fresh air cures it! Glad everything went well!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    This is exactly why I never go for Duck down. It has a smell.
    Check out a company that knows down.
    https://www.canadiandownandfeather.c.../goose-vs-duck

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Another convert to the hammock life. Welcome aboard. Swinging in the trees always beats sleeping on the ground.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

• + New Posts