HH Ghillie
    Insulation
    HH Hibernator
    Suspension
    HH Straps
    Images

How to Protect the Trees

Hey all,
    I'm no flower child by any means, but I think many here are of the same mind that conservation of the places we go to escape is top priority and I hope everyone practices "No Trace"!

That being said, I'm more and more concerned with the effects straps can have on trees especially after a few days of hanging in the same spot or lots of campers hanging on the same trees time after time. So I'm curious what tips and tricks you all have come up with to minimize the effect they can have on the forest. Is there a certain brand or design you like because it's kinder to the trees?

sláinte mhaith!

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    If you're really worried about it, get two inch straps. Move the straps slightly each day, put sticks under the straps to distribute the load, double the strap around the tree, and hang at the proper angle to reduce the stress.

The consensus is that one inch straps are sufficient when used at the proper angle. Some parks do require two inch straps though. In FL they don't want you hanging on any trees under twelve inches.

Never use anything less than a one inch strap.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    The "industry standard" seems to be make sure you are using 1" straps. If you're concerned, go wider.

If you were going to be in one spot for more than a night you could choose different trees to hang from each night, or if that's not do-able, move your straps up or down the trees you're hanging from a few inches to prevent continuous usage wear.

There are also DIY portable hammock stands but that would add some pretty substantial weight to your kit.

We should all be concerned not to negatively impact the places we hang in, flower children or not =)

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you are hanging on really small trees. It could even be good for them in moderated doses. Did you ever see the guy on TV that used beer to make fertilizer for the lawn and who beat on trees to stimulate growth. Consider this the same. Trees are more hardy than one would imagine. If you are worried though get some wide material to place under your straps as others have suggested and Hang-on.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    It also largely depends on the kind of tree, softwood trees with soft bark are much more susceptible to damage. Most hardwood trees you're not going to hurt by putting a rope around it for a couple nights. I have 80 acres of heavily wooded forest land that was logged back in the 60s ( now I can't even tell it was logged because it's so densely forested) I find trees with choker cable grown in them and chainsaw bar still stuck in them. The people that own the property before me had a chicken coop and there's one large fir Tree with a wire completely embedded in it but the tree is still healthy and strong. I think some people are overly worried about the damage a strap can do to a tree, now if it was a redwood or a Cedar or something else with softer bark or if it has ancient moss on it that you don't want to Disturbed I would be more worried. But as others have stated a 2-inch strap should be fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Get a lorax!

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    Get a lorax!
    LOL
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex 70D Sym
    Insulation
    HG TQ 20 / UQ 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I'd just say pay attention to the type of tree you are hanging on (as others have mentioned, there are differences between hardwood and softwood trees,) and make sure that the tree doesn't move or bend when you get into your hammock. I personally avoid hanging on trees with a softer bark like birch, just because I know whats underneath the bark is very sensitive.
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    This is something I've always wondered about...

A tree strap around a tree trunk touches the tree around approximately 1/2 of the circumference, spreading the load out across that whole area. If you put sticks under the strap, doesn't that create fewer points of contact that are each going to have much greater pressure than the strap which is distributing the weight more evenly over more area?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    This is something I've always wondered about...

A tree strap around a tree trunk touches the tree around approximately 1/2 of the circumference, spreading the load out across that whole area. If you put sticks under the strap, doesn't that create fewer points of contact that are each going to have much greater pressure than the strap which is distributing the weight more evenly over more area?
    I would agree with your assessment in principle. I think wider straps wrapped multiple times around the trunk will place the least pressure on the trees trunk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast