DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    I think the reasoning behind putting sticks under the straps is that only a few of the vertical veins that feed the tree will be affected and those that are not affected will be sufficient to sustain life.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

How to Protect the Trees

Depending on where you are, you'll see trees that have been beaten mercilessly by deer and moose antlers. In areas that have regulated hunting on such animals (everywhere they exist...?), you might conclude that the floral population is accustomed to more abuse than it's currently getting from the faunal population... maybe.

I abide by LNT, but I'm not in the least bit concerned about tree straps. You'll do damage if you hang from a tree that can't structurally support you... otherwise, the trees will be OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    I agree we should be mindful about not damaging the trees or anything else we encounter in the woods but I don't think the way I hang and using 1" straps is causing any harm. I'm gonna bet that a careless match takes down more trees than all of us hangers combined.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrico View Post
    It also largely depends on the kind of tree, softwood trees with soft bark are much more susceptible to damage. Most hardwood trees you're not going to hurt by putting a rope around it for a couple nights. I have 80 acres of heavily wooded forest land that was logged back in the 60s ( now I can't even tell it was logged because it's so densely forested) I find trees with choker cable grown in them and chainsaw bar still stuck in them. The people that own the property before me had a chicken coop and there's one large fir Tree with a wire completely embedded in it but the tree is still healthy and strong. I think some people are overly worried about the damage a strap can do to a tree, now if it was a redwood or a Cedar or something else with softer bark or if it has ancient moss on it that you don't want to Disturbed I would be more worried. But as others have stated a 2-inch strap should be fine.
    I think these are two very different situations. A fence usually doesn't put as much force on the wire as a hammock does on the tree strap or rope. As far as I know, the issue with putting a rope around a tree and hanging heavy weights from it is, that it condenses the cambium. If there's too much force, the cambium can be damaged. In the worst case that means that the circulation of the tree is broken, and it dies. Same as you would if somebody would put too much force on your carotid. With cables put permanently around a tree that don't carry a huge load, the tree can simply grow around it.

To the OP: I heard some people put pieces of a foam pad under the tree straps. But I don't know if that's better or worse than wider tree straps. Probably depends on the firmness and thickness of the foam and the width of the strap.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12