Tips for measuring Silnylon / Silpoly?

First attempt at a large sized project using the above and it seems pretty maddening trying to get accurate measurements. I don't have a table big enough, so I'm doing this on a tile floor, which makes the material even more slippery. I am assuming you want to stretch the material somewhat, if nothing else to flatten out some of the folds. So whats the secret? It seems like some type of jig out of wood or aluminum would make things a little easier, and maybe a bar or pipe on the other end to add some tension. Any tips out there for a beginner?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    A friend on mine uses duct tape to hold this slick stuff in place.

I went with "guesstimation" for my DIY MMG gear hammock. Really wish I had taped the ends to the floor (result was nice, could have been 'nicer')

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk
    If you don't live life to the limit, how will you know when you overcome your own?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    I measure and cut mine on a carpeted floor and use sewing pins to secure it to the floor. Be careful to not stretch the actual fabric or else your cuts will be off. Just get the big folds out and you should be good.
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

Images
    Another pair of hands helps. Cans of food make good weights to hold down fabric. A "long as your fabric is wide" straight edge is useful- such as wood lath or trim. I use a 6' aluminum sheetrock ruler. I agree- don't stretch the fabric too much. I use a steel square along with a longer strait edge to square the cut ends. Do your best but don't fuss over minor inconsistencies.

Hammock
    1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    12' DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar strap
    I use a 4X8 sheet of masonite. I marked it with one foot increments, so I can measure with it and cut at the same time.

Don’t stretch the material. You’ll get curved cuts.

I use large books to weight it down. Then i cut using an 8' piece of aluminum u channel I had lying around, on top of cardboard with a razor knife. Still moves around a little so rather than measure twice, cut once it is more like measure four times, cut once. Even doing this I find I might be off a half inch or an inch on the two sides of a tarp so I line them up against one another and trim a bit, but it isn't noticeable except at the ridgeline, so I sew that first.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I put a flannel sheet on the floor, tape the sheet(s) down to the floor. I use Reams of paper packaget to keep things from shifting. I also use Frog tape or painters tape. I have Clover Clips in two sizes and three colors, I also use long quilting pins where appropriate.

I just hand smooth the fabric, sice I carefully ffold it between sessions, the folds smooth out quickly and neatly.

If you have pets they will be determined to molest the fabric.

Go slow keep your fabric lined up, cutting bunched fabric tends to leave a mess.

Your scissors should be sharp. Start with a new needle of the right size.

Try to only work on your project when you feel creative. STOP WHEN TIRED!

Often errors are made when the
    creator is tired, board or almost finished wirh the build.

Always start with a clean thread injector, full bobbin, try to besure you have thread to enough to finish the project.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 10-12-2017 at 00:36.

Thanks everyone! Most all of these things i probably knew, and simply ignored as I was really itching to get this project started. For whatever reason the only tape I had handy was packing tape, and it wouldn't stick to the material, and I completely lost focus after that. I'm going to blame the beer and football I was also watching at the same time. Just another case of overthinking (and underthinking!!).

• + New Posts