Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question My first post: Can you help me choose a hammock for my needs?

Hi all,

I've been looking at these forums for a few days, and have gone from wanting to buy a chinese parachute hammock, to getting a good hammock straight away. The more i looked into it the more I cared about what I would get. The people on this forum seem to have a lot of experience and I would love to ask your advice. So here's my information:

I am 5 foot 10
    155 pound (about 70 kilograms)

What I want to use the hammock for:
    - daytime napping and reading, possibly with my toddler on my lap
    - taking to work with me and stringing it up on my lunchbreaks
    - always having in my backpack when nature walking
    - could night sleep in it if i needed to, though this would be very occassionally

The qualities in the hammock I'm looking for are:

- Something very light and packable
    - Simple good design and quick to set up
    - am willing to sacrifice some comfort for weight and packability in this case.
    - Not completely break the bank, but open to anything

With that said, what I'm considering is:

-Dutchware Hexon 1.0 single layer netless 10foot, with dual knotty mod...

What I'm unsure about/haven't had a chance to look into yet are the ridgeline, and suspension. Would love your help on this one according to my needs.

Any advice welcome about materials, makes, etc. I probably won't DIY on this one, though am open to that if necessary

Thank you <3

Hanging with you all soon....

First, welcome to the forums.

If you want comfort you won't go wrong with the hammock you have listed. Think about an 11 foot length too. I'm 5'9" and love my 11 foot hammock.

Definitely get a ridgeline. Make it adjustable for more versatility.

Cinch buckles and straps are about as simple a suspension as I can think of but consider whoopie slings for lighter weight.

Finally, besides Dutchware, look at the new hanger kits from AHE, see Wilderness Logics, Warbonnet and maybe a DIY kit from RSBTR as possible choices for a netless hammock. No doubt others will recommend more great vendors.

Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutch 11 PolyD; Junglenest
    Tarp
    HG; ENO
    Insulation
    HG; Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    I second Sidneyhornblower. I use a Dutch Poly D 11 ft. netless double layer with knotty mods and whoopie hook suspension. My wife uses an ENO Junglenest in summer and a 10 ft. netless poly D single layer with cinch buckle suspension in the fall and winter. We both find these hammocks very comfortable. You may be able to get by without the knotty mods, but the adjustable ridge line is needed in my opinion. Welcome to the forum.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I'm 5'11" and 250ish, and for day hikes and simple naps I use an ENO DoubleNest. It's a shorter hammock but I nap just fine in it and have also used it overnight with no problems. Packs easily and I have carried mine (and sometimes my wife's as well) on numerous day hikes. There's a 400lb weight limit that I have knowingly exceeded with another occupant, so the addition of a toddler or two won't be an issue.

Suspension is with Atlas Straps, and it literally takes about a minute to set up after you find the right spot.

All that said, Sidney was spot on. Just about any of the vendors on here could set you up with what you're asking for. Good luck and happy hanging!

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I'm 5'6" and 148 lbs. but I can tell a decided difference in comfort between a 10 or 11 foot hammock.The longer hammock is more comfortable to me personally,however,I can get by ok in a 10 footer and like the extra overhang I get from my 11 foot tarp.If you plan to use the hammock very much,go with the 11.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Perhaps consider the Warbonnet Traveler XL. It's 11ft, lightweight, and comes with webbing and buckle suspension...all for $65.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    All the suggestions on the table are great! I have a netless Dutch PolyD right next to me and I am in a Hexon 1.6 Halfwit as I type. I have slept in these hammocks every night for months now!

Two other places to give a peak? DreamHammock's Free Bird and Simply Light Design's TreeRunner. Both of these are also fantastic!

So, some options might be:

Dutchware's Netless Hammock, either the Hexon 1.0 or 1.6, with a structural ridgeline and cinch buckles, $86. You could lighten up a little more and go with whoopies for a couple of dollars. You can also choose to at the dual Knotty Mod (which tightens up the floppy material at your feet sides with elastic cordage) for $15 more, too.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/11ft-netless.html

DreamHamock FreeBird, baseline price is $55 and comes with a structural ridgeline. If you wanted to go really light, they have 1.2 Robotic-XL for $17 extra. The 1.6 HyperD is really nice and soft. Add a cinch buckle for $5 or whoppies for $9. Add a couple of 10' tree straps for $12. So, all in, a 1.6 with cinch buckles and straps? $72, great deal here.
    http://www.dreamhammock.com/FreeBird.html
    Examples:
    http://www.dreamhammock.com/order_de...tml?order=5895 = 10 ounces (no straps or buckles in the weight)
    http://www.dreamhammock.com/order_de...tml?order=5797 = 17.55 ounces (with cinch buckles and straps) <--- just over a pound for 1.6 and everything!! $72!!
    Last edited by heyduff; 10-08-2017 at 08:32.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Since you are not looking to camp in it or do many overnights, just about any 10'-11' would work for you IMO.

With that being said, I would look hard at various of the vendors on HF for the hammock but don't forget to include the suspension in your pricing. Since you are not doing long distance hikes with it where weight would be an issue, I would look hard at straps and buckles for your suspension. They are easy to use with quick up/quick down.

Also include your shipping since it will have to be shipped from the vendor to Australia. Some vendor may not ship international so check that out closely.

And welcome to Hammock Forums!
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hilleberg UL10
    Insulation
    UQ TQ
    Suspension
    I like whoopie
    Images
    Warbonnet Traveler XL is the one I would suggest.

Senior Member Andy "Bull" Bullock's Avatar
    Hammock
    WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB lynx &amp; Costco
    Suspension
    straps+Dutch bling
    Another adventurer for the hammock world (aka hammock rabbit hole!). Lol

It doesn’t matter what you get, you’ll probably end up buying them all by this time in a couple years. Welcome to the forum and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast