Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whoopie slings MSH or Becket hitch

Well I am going to whoopie slings and they are in the mail from Dutch. I have a set of 6 foot dyneema strap coming as well. Complete set up from Hammock to strap will be CL to Dutch biner to whoopie to tree strap. Question is am I better of using marlin spike hitch with toggles or using a double Becket hitch to attach dyneema straps to whoopies? Is one better then the other? If going double Becket I would probably add a continuous loop on the whoopie sling so the loop could slide for adjustment.

Just looking for some advice. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I usually do the MSH with toggles on the strap, then the Whoopie loop over the "knot....not the toggle"
    But I've also messed with a Becket on it.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    10' DH Sparrow, Net+OC
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20- 40°TQ
    Suspension
    SpWeb2.0+whoopies
    As a user of whoopies and Dutch's dyneema (spiderweb 2.0) straps, I say MSH- the dyneema is slick, and as a result does not take other knots well. MSH benefits from the toggle holding the knot steady. MSH is also just easy to tie.

Try them both, but my guess is you'll end up with the MSH too.

Any reason you're not just larks heading the whoopie through the sewn channel in place of the CL?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I was thinking about that but decided to keep the continuous loops in case a run into short distance trees gives me some flexibility to attache directly to CL.

Well whoopies and Dutch toggles arrived. When attaching the whoopie slings the MSH is it OK to tuck the whoopies under the top loop of MSH? Also anyone ever attached the fixed eye of whoopie to MSH with a girth hitch to keep whoopie more secure to MSH?

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I put a little sliding whipping knot on my whoopie slings. You can see what I'm talking about in this video: https://youtu.be/5eNjkroTjyQ?t=225

The little "info" graphic in the upper right corner will give you a link to the video by professor Hammock that I copied the idea from and instructions on how to make it. HTH!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dbolster24 View Post
    Well whoopies and Dutch toggles arrived. When attaching the whoopie slings the MSH is it OK to tuck the whoopies under the top loop of MSH? Also anyone ever attached the fixed eye of whoopie to MSH with a girth hitch to keep whoopie more secure to MSH?

I put a sliding locked whipping knot over the fixed eye that drops over the MSH. In my case, the fixed eye on the end of a UCR as I gave up on whoopies, but it's all the same in this context. Drop the eye over the toggle and slide the locked whipping knot up to secure the eye in place. Truth told, I never had an eye pop off the MSH toggle before I started to use the whipping knot, so it's really just mental pacification. I would expect the girth hitch used to secure the eye over the MSH would be a PITA to untie once it's weighted.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Well I think I am going to start to use a Becket hitch on my dyneema straps attaching it to the fixedeye of the whoopie slings. I will use a Dutch binder on the loop side attached to my CL to my hammock so the loop can slide for adjustment. No need for toggles and no worries of whoopie coming off toggle. Should give me lots of adjustment options. If trees to close I can always Becket hitch directly to CL on Hammock. Going to use this set up this weekend for camping trip. Seems the most secure for me with adjustment.

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    I don't care for whoopies. But if I ever went back to them, I would use Dutch buckles https://dutchwaregear.com/the-dutch-buckle.html and avoid the hitches all together.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Been using the Becket Hitch for a while.. Kevlar straps and now Dyneema straps.. It's really tough to untie once it's weighted, so I switched to the J-Bend... just as easy to tie and far easier untie.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast