Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Guy with eyebrows
    My '83 has valve recession. Adjuster run all the way out and .002 clearance. Valve is a lot smaller and well into the seat. I got lucky it didn't break off coming home from Daytona. Rear tire for the outfit Saturday so the solar tire heater works better and then after Thanksgiving, there is a weekend gathering.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker Bob View Post
    after Thanksgiving, there is a weekend gathering.
    *heartbreak*

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I did my very first by-gosh hang last night!

My favorite gear-test venue is the area around the Brien Shelter in Harriman State Park, NY. I like it because the trail head is about 30 minutes from where I live, and a 1/2 hour walk from the parking lot at Silvermine Lake to the shelter. I like it because the weather can be a little crazy due to its location in a little gap that really funnels in some wind, which was abundant last night, along with some leftover spritzes of rain from the passage of a front.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a Dream Hammock Darien (#6235) and while waiting on it to arrive I also ordered an immediately-available Chameleon, a silnylon HG Hex tarp and an EE Revolt UQ (55") to go along with an EE Enigma quilt (both 20°F rated) which I already have in the gear collection.

It wasn't a perfect trip but I learned a lot... mostly that I've got to put the tree straps a little higher on the tree to get better ground clearance with a bit steeper angle on the straps/whoopies so that the hammock ridge line isn't tight as a banjo string! I used prussiks and 'biners on the tarp CR setup, using a bowline on one end of the ridge line and a Tarp Flyz bling bit on the other end, which worked quite well.

My feet got a little cold because I forgot to bring my closed-cell foam sit pad that I had intended to use as additional insulation, having read here on HF about the need for it, and now having learned the hard way that it's true, lol!

Overall I was quite comfortable under the tarp and the Chameleon's zip-on cover. My Accurite thermometer indicated that it got down to 31°F, which combined with the howling wind felt a lot cooler! It is always fun to hear the pitter-patter of rain drops while ensconced in a warm, dry shelter.

I'm really looking forward to my next test hang (soon!), and my first "real" hike with a hammock setup, hopefully in early December.

First lay in my new 11ft. hammock. I bought a hammock from Sheltowee hammocks from Ky. In state shipping is free. The cost was about $67.00 for the Arch model with Amsteel continuos ridge line and Amsteel continuous loops. Great value for the price. I already had all the things that go along with hammock camping / uq, tq, tarp, suspension, mosquito net. I was very impressed with the 1.6 ripstop material. It is a very nice material. Very pleased with it. I bought a Grand trunk double wide for $100.00 that wasn't as long but the material was very nice. The only complaints with the Grand Trunk was the triple stitch seem inside and the calf ridge from the shortness of it. I got the standard Arch hammock and since I'm 5'6" it was wide enough. They do have a wider model for taller people. Maybe this is more of a review but I haven't got to actually taken it out in the field yet. Can't weight. P.S. I have 2 Grand Trunk double hammocks, a walmart singe, a Walmart double with attached bug net. Now that I have an actual camping hammock, there's no turning back.

Biker Bob. I too am a duel sport hammock camper. I have a lot of places that is made available to me for wild camping and really can't wait for warmer weather. I'll just have to load of my Subaru and go now.

Hammock
    DIY modified Ariel
    Tarp
    DIY short 4-season
    Insulation
    DIY down topquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Modded my new trekking poles into spreader bars.
    Replaced the amsteel hammock ridgeline with 1.75 mm lash-it, whoopie-style.
    Then back to SketchUp to draft up a good bugnet plan, while looking to justify another RBTR purchase for a new tarp design.
    Screenshot from 2017-11-21 17:17:51.png

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuban W/ Doors
    Insulation
    CRO UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Put mine in my new pack along with my winter gear and stepped on the scale. 13.25 pounds without food and water. Good enough for me.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Wondered if there is enough room in my small bedroom to hang it safely...

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    I repacked my bag for a canoe trip tomorrow. The minimum temperature keeps increasing, so I removed some insulation from the bag. It's looking like an overnight low of 61 all weekend...

Florida.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast