Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images

Beetle Buckles and Spider Web 2.0

Anyone tried the Beetle Buckles with the Spider Web 2.0? Dutch says, "Please note Dyneema has not tested well with Cinch Buckles or other buckle style hardware", so I'm assuming for now that includes the Beetle Buckles.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Hybrid UHMWPE/MSH
    Some people have reported using beetles with other brands of dyneema strapping. I have beetles and the spider 2.0 huggers, but I haven't and wouldn't try using them together. The spider 2.0 straps are pretty slick and I wouldn't trust it. At the end of the day every buckle system relies on friction to work, and the spider straps don't provide much friction at all. You're talking about less than an ounce per strap weight difference to go with the dyneema/polypro straps, which work fantastically with the beetles. There's just not enough benefit there to risk waking up on the ground.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon.
    Tarp
    SLD Winter
    Insulation
    1/4" foam CCF pad
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have not tried but have read the combination is not advised. I was however also interested in using the new Spider Web 2.0 webbing with a spreader bar.

I realized it could be done by buying two "double whoopie hooks", which also accept a spreader bar. Dutchware customer support said these could be shipped already threaded on Amsteel loops. The Spider Web 2.0 could then attach to this Amsteel loop with a Jbend or Becket hitch knot. This Amsteel loop would then connect to the amsteel loop attached to the hammock using the double whoopie hooks.

In the end I didn't order the Spider Web 2.0, though. I don't like the high cost couple with very reviews about usability and durability. One of two reviews I found on the Dutchware site reported that the Spider Web 2.0 webbing developed a tear after just one or two uses. For now I'm sticking with the original Dyneema Polypro staps with beetle buckles, which work fine together.

• + New Posts