Hanging side by side with one hammock being a bridge style.

Im trying to do anything i can to help my wife make the transition from ground dwelling. i feel bad so when we both go camping im forced to the ground with her, and i cant handle it anymore! Sure she says its ok and i should sleep in my hammock, but the translation from women language says, if you leave me in this tent by my self i wont speak to you. haha
    So she wants to try a bridge hammock, once she seen one she actually said she thinks she would really enjoy the openness. but thats where the problem comes in. she also wants to share the same tarp, so naturally i thought that was fine, just get or make a spreader bar.

Will a spreader bar work with a bridge hammock? ive never been around a bridge or a spreader bar, so im completly new at this.
    my comfort and sleep quality will greatly appreciate any help with this!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    You're in for a rough time. I don't have much experience with it either but from what I've seen at some group hangs it doesn't look like much fun. Every time you or your wife move it will set you both rocking.

I love my bridge but given the choice of trying to share two trees with another hammock or the ground I'd rather just stay home.

One 3rd option.....have you considered a stand? It's definitely not very portable but may save your sanity. You can put one between the trees and set up the stand as close as posslbe then share a tarp. I'd get a BIG tarp too, maybe like a Kelty Noah's 12. That's my go-to tarp for car camping with my bridge.

The stand might be a good idea. Typically we have some sort of conveyance. I was thinking about trying a diy extra wide tarp.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    If it was me I'd set up two tarps and two hammocks as close to each other as I could. Ideally 3 trees with both hammocks going to one tree and each hammock going to a different tree for the other end. Make the area between the two hammocks the camp area that you hang out in.

One good idea is to eat a lot of beans, then your wife will really appreciate not being enclosed inside a small tent with you all night!

That's how I would ideally do it also. She's not much of A cuddler but I know she would prefer to be under the same tarp, I don't know what she's afraid of but if it gets us off the ground I'm willing to try anything. I'm even considering one of those triangle 3 strap set ups... I'm not a fan, but where we typically go there is plenty of places to find a good trio of trees.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    If you used 3 trees with 2 hammocks and 2 tarps then the end that both hammocks connect to would have the tarps so close you would have to overlap them - that's almost like one tarp. If you made the common tree the head end then both your heads would be close and under one overlapped tarp. See if you can find a suitable site and set up like that, ask your wife to try it out for a night and see what she thinks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    My son and I hung that way one time when he was much younger but we were both in gathered ends. I found a spot where we had one huge oak on one end and an even bigger oak with spreading branches on the other. So....in a sense we had 3 trees. I set up both tarps overlapped but it created kind of a "flat" spot. I have a feeling if we'd encountered an actual downpour it wouldn't have worked out well.

Because of the zippered bugnet we ended up hanging head to foot so the openings faced "out". We could have used the velcro openings on the Hennessy Hammocks but opted not to.

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    I end up hanging on 3 trees in this set up with my GF. I also bring 2 tarps and overlap them in the center of the V. Seems to work OK, just have to make sure the tarps are set up in a way that drains correctly

• + New Posts