Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pad length

Pad length

I've got a closed-celled foam pad I plan to use inside my Single-Layer hammock until I can afford an UQ. I'm planning a multi-day trip tomorrow and will be camping down to about 40-degrees F.

I've got a mummy bag which I'll be using as a TQ.

My closed-celled foam pad is full-length and weights about 650 grams. It is fairly thick for a closed-celled foam pad, I originally got it for yoga from Clark Rubber.

I thought I could cut it shorter, make it into perhaps a three-quarter length pad to save weight.

I want to ask whether this would be feasible to use a partial-length, thick closed-celled foam pad in a hammock. I'm a bit worried about the fact I'd be laying on the edges and that this might start hurting, especially given the fact it's a bit thick.

In regards to temperature, I think that's ok as folks use partial-length UQs where they don't have anything under their feet and head.

Also, would it be more tricky to stay on the pad if it's partial length or full-length.

I do have another closed-cell foam yoga pad which is a much cheaper one, but is softer and thinner. But it's also heavier. But I don't mind ripping that into a partial length either if I should be using that instead. I've got nowhere around home to hang the hammock so I'm going to have to do it on the fly.
    Last edited by AyeJay; 09-30-2017 at 21:20.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AyeJay View Post
    I've got a closed-celled foam pad I plan to use inside my Single-Layer hammock until I can afford an UQ. I'm planning a multi-day trip tomorrow and will be camping down to about 40-degrees F.

I've got a mummy bag which I'll be using as a TQ.

My closed-celled foam pad is full-length and weights about 650 grams. It is fairly thick for a closed-celled foam pad, I originally got it for yoga from Clark Rubber.

I thought I could cut it shorter, make it into perhaps a three-quarter length pad to save weight.

I want to ask whether this would be feasible to use a partial-length, thick closed-celled foam pad in a hammock. I'm a bit worried about the fact I'd be laying on the edges and that this might start hurting, especially given the fact it's a bit thick.

In regards to temperature, I think that's ok as folks use partial-length UQs where they don't have anything under their feet and head.

Also, would it be more tricky to stay on the pad if it's partial length or full-length.

I do have another closed-cell foam yoga pad which is a much cheaper one, but is softer and thinner. But it's also heavier. But I don't mind ripping that into a partial length either if I should be using that instead. I've got nowhere around home to hang the hammock so I'm going to have to do it on the fly.
    You probably should have tried your system out before going a multi day trip...so you know what to expect & if you can put up with for a few days.

Everything's a compromise, you can chop it down to 3/4 & use any spare cloths or backpack under your legs or taper it (keep it wide at the shoulders & taper to feet) or leave as is.... if you toss & turn like I do you'll be chasing the pad all night. Don't forget a makeshift pillow too.

You'll lose heat if its blowing a gale too.

Have a good trip, stay safe & don't be afraid to cut it short if the system is giving you the $h!}$.
    Last edited by ofuros; 09-30-2017 at 22:55.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Quote Originally Posted by ofuros View Post
    You probably should have tried your system out before going a multi day trip...so you know what to expect & if you can put up with for a few days.

Everything's a compromise, you can chop it down to 3/4 & use any spare cloths or backpack under your legs or taper it (keep it wide at the shoulders & taper to feet) or leave as is.... if you toss & turn like I do you'll be chasing the pad all night.

Don't forget you'll lose heat if its blowing a gale too.

Have a good trip, stay safe & don't be afraid to cut it short if the system is giving you the $h!}$.
    Yes, I plan to not go far along the trail on the first night so I can do a quick hike back if I have to.

With the gale reference, are you inferring that there can be quite a difference in temperature rating between partial and full? Or is this in reference to all pads in general? I certainly can take the whole length, perhaps that would be safer until I find out how cold I feel out there.
    Last edited by AyeJay; 09-30-2017 at 23:05.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AyeJay View Post
    Yes, I plan to not go far along the trail on the first night so I can do a quick hike back if I have to.

With the gale reference, are you inferring that there can be quite a difference in temperature rating between partial and full? Or is this in reference to all pads in general? I certainly can take the whole length, perhaps that would be safer until I find out how cold I feel out there?
    The wind will blow through the single layer material & around the bottom or sides of your cut down pad...depends on the coverage of you tarp too. My tarp is minimal yours may be fully enclosed.

You'll just have to suck it & see. ; )
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    At this point in your plans I would just bring the whole thick pad.
    Tote the load and enjoy yourself.
    It'll be a good lesson in what works. Or does not work.
    No worries...you won't perish at 40ºF
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by ofuros View Post
    The wind will blow through the single layer material & around the bottom or sides of your cut down pad...depends on the coverage of you tarp too. My tarp is minimal yours may be fully enclosed.

You'll just have to suck it & see. ; )
    Yep I'm using a minimal asym tarp hahaha. I went to the local reserve yesterday and did my first hang with my new hammock and minimal tarp. What an ordeal! This is one reason I was slow to the idea of the hammock, I envisioned it would be complex. And with chronic daily migraine I don't always think straight and I'm slow to figure things out and make stupid mistakes. But with my asym, I originally thought it would not work as it wasn't giving me adequate coverage, until I figured I had to guy it higher out the sides, and because it's asym, I was able to bring it right down on top of the hammock ridgeline because, being an asym, the ends are out to the side of the hammock suspension. I was surprised to learn that when getting in the hammock and looking up, the asym is basically a flat rectangle above you which follows the body line.

One other thing that surprised me was that when I got in my mummy bag, I felt the cold wind underneath the hammock. I see what folks mean about loft, and about the underside being more important.

It's a pain not being able to set up at home or in the yard, a real pain. Not to worry. Thanks Shug, you're right, I'll take the whole pad, it's only an extra 200 grams and I'm not trying to break any speed records. And given I'm using a minimal tarp. I'd also prefer to use pad than have to put clothes and stuff under me. If you have to do that, then I'll just take the whole pad.

Much appreciated guys.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I gotta agree with Shug on this one: keep it full length for this trip. I don't see how the weight penalty would be that huge.

Images
    If you want to chop, take the spare... And some duct tape!
    It will be handy as a sit-pad. And, if you want/need you can tape it back in place. Or use it as tape-on wings, to extend the width of your pad (shoulders, hips).
    Always handy to have a few feet of duct tape neatly wrapped around a trekking pole (or similar).
    Oh, and a length of Reflectix is awful handy too.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I will agree with the others and say keep it at full-length for this trip. What I would do however is round the corners. That's what I did when I used a CCF pad and it seemed to me that that helped stabilize the pad in the hammock.

OT: That that? It doesn't look correct but it sounds correct.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    Homemade channel end
    Tarp
    Homade Hex Xenon s
    Suspension
    Rings + webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    If you want to chop, take the spare... And some duct tape!
    It will be handy as a sit-pad. And, if you want/need you can tape it back in place. Or use it as tape-on wings, to extend the width of your pad (shoulders, hips).
    Always handy to have a few feet of duct tape neatly wrapped around a trekking pole (or similar).
    Oh, and a length of Reflectix is awful handy too.

--
    Gadget
    I cut mine down from my neck to the back of my knees. But I did a lot practice runs in my back yard before I actually took it on the trail. lol. I'm a fair weather camper/hiker. once the temp drops below 40, I go into hibernation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast