DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook

Jack-R-Better Sierra-Stealth Quilt on Massdrop

I haven't seen Jacks on Massdrop before. I thought I would share.
    Looks like a nice quilt and a great price from a quality vendor.
    https://www.massdrop.com/buy/jacks-r...referer=ZP7C2X
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I too checked it out as it's the first time I've seen them there also.

Jacks R Better are an anomaly to me in these days of quilt vendors. It used to be that they were one of the only games in town. I don't feel like that's the case anymore, but they continue to use say 800 fp down when most others have gone to 850 and their prices are still rather high. That particular qulit, it's sewn through. Nothing wrong with that for a quilt advertised as a 45 degree, but it's an awful lot of money for a relatively heavy quilt with not much down in it and less expensive options. These are my general thoughts on JRB from the last couple of years. They should have been the first to cut prices. UGQ, HG and LL for instance offer a "better" product at less money, especially with the price cuts. In so many ways, great stitching and attention to detail only go so far. Yes, there are different designs, but you have to really do something exceptionally better nowadays to justify the higher prices.

For the record, I feel similarly about Katabatic, Nunatec and other "high end" quilt manufacturers. I don't see the cost to end product justification. (obviously they are MUCH more expensive).

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. Others will have different thoughts.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I disagree in that I feel your u get a great product, with wonderful customer service. I don't see how other products are better, just different. 800 fp is an excellent option on down, and arguments can be made that 900+ isn't better at all, just lighter. Most discounted quilts are using 800 duck down. Jacks remain at the top of my list as they don't offer flash, just results. My JRB's have never let me down.
    Hang your own hang.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Nobody is disputing getting a great product. 850 is the new standard, not 800. Nobody mentioned 900+. Price, price is what I was referring to.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Some vendors use 800, some 850, some 900 as regular. An Econ line quilt is $150 and uses 800 duck down. A regular one with 850 goose is $250. Jacks use 800+ (wonder what the plus means) goose. So goose to goose sounds like a good apples to apples comparison. I just don't see how anyone offers a better product for less money. That's my only point. Goose to goose seems like they are equally priced.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I agree that duck down is cheaper, which is why most people are ordering them right now. The goose down quilts are all pretty close in price, unless you go up in fill power.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I own two JRB TQ's (Shenandoah and Hudson River) and a greylock 3...now 2 years and doing great.

Good stuff...I do recall that some of the stuff seemed pretty pricey compared to evolving competition...best I can recall...the Hudson River for 250 has worked great for me and it has let me use it as an UQ with family a couple times in a pinch.

I bought a sewn through - shennendoah - I've liked it "ok" but I feel personally I would not buy it again at that price point (a bit less than 200 for the long version) for a sewn through quilt - but that may be subjective I suppose.

To a degree this exercise seems not very fruitful - consumers can and will compare and decide.

JRB makes good stuff - worth a gander! There is much competition now though across the board - one could quibble till the cows come home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    I own two JRB TQ's (Shenandoah and Hudson River) and a greylock 3...now 2 years and doing great.

Good stuff...I do recall that some of the stuff seemed pretty pricey compared to evolving competition...best I can recall...the Hudson River for 250 has worked great for me and it has let me use it as an UQ with family a couple times in a pinch.

I bought a sewn through - shennendoah - I've liked it "ok" but I feel personally I would not buy it again at that price point (a bit less than 200 for the long version) for a sewn through quilt - but that may be subjective I suppose.

To a degree this exercise seems not very fruitful - consumers can and will compare and decide.

JRB makes good stuff - worth a gander! There is much competition now though across the board - one could quibble till the cows come home

I noticed you switched to the Wooki.

I'm in Chattanooga.

Do you have the 3 season or Winter Wookie?

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I like the 3 season fine - I would have bought the winter model if I did it again as I have discovered for myself that I just love being very warm - and I can always vent it a bit

I made a copy for my wife and made it 3.5 inches of loft and I loved loved it for at and below freezing better than the 3 season

But I am a huge fanboy now of the wooki - I won't make or buy another style at this point - simple and effective.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    I like the 3 season fine - I would have bought the winter model if I did it again as I have discovered for myself that I just love being very warm - and I can always vent it a bit

I made a copy for my wife and made it 3.5 inches of loft and I loved loved it for at and below freezing better than the 3 season

But I am a huge fanboy now of the wooki - I won't make or buy another style at this point - simple and effective.

Thank you. You answered a regional question about the Winter Wooki.

Another poster said they used the Winter Wookie year round in the South East.

I was skeptical.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast