Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images

First Attempt at Hammock Camping - Ethan Pond Campsite, White Mountains

I went up to the White Mountains last weekend for a Presidential Traverse. At the same time I was planning out this trip I began to become really interested in hammock camping. This site (and Shug's videos) were a big help. So thanks all for that. I wanted to sneak in a night of camping prior to the traverse so the day prior I drove up and hiked to the Ethan Pond campsite. It was a good learning experience. I was comfy in the hammock and wish I could say that I slept like a baby but in truth I couldn't fall asleep to save my life. I'm hoping it was just the newness of trying to sleep in a hammock for the first time because I really liked the setup otherwise. But yeah, laying awake all night kinda sucked.

Anywho, if you're interested I documented my hike and first attempt at setting up my hammock in the wild - the sound isn't great and I tend to mumble a lot so sorry for that. Like everything else in my life my GoPro videos are a work in progress!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Often takes a few night to fall into slumber when your new to a hammock. But once you do......you'll go deep.
    I often sleep 10 to 12 hours in mine on trips. At home in my bed is 5 to 6 hours.
    Whoooooo Buddy))))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Homemade channel end
    Tarp
    Homade Hex Xenon s
    Suspension
    Rings + webbing
    Same here....first night wasn't so good. second night, don't know if cause I was so tired from night before, I slept like I never slept before. have had no trouble since. The only reason I don't have hammock set up in the house, sleeping on it every night is cause my wife wont let me

Just thinking back, I also remember a small learning curve....like sleeping diagonal. Which lets you lay flatter and making it easier to lay on your side. I started in a cheap 8' hammock, which made laying diagonal hard when I'm 6'2".
    Last edited by Pigfoot; 10-01-2017 at 09:58.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the comments guys. Makes me feel better about my poor sleep that night. I'm definitely going to sleep in the woods near my house before the weather turns too cold so that I can get some more practice in this year.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Good job on the video. Did you film the rest of the hike?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Good job on the video. Did you film the rest of the hike?
    Thanks! My wife got me a GoPro last Christmas. I'm slowly getting better at taking video and then editing them into something coherent but I've a long way to go.

The whole reason I went up there was to complete a Presidential Traverse the next day. I realized afterwards that I placed it poorly on my hydration vest and most of the footage had an unfortunate amount of my schnoz and beard in the shot. Plus the whole thing was shaking more than I liked. I've pieced together the best stuff - now I just need to get my act together and finish the job. I'll definitely post it when I get it done!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    haha at your hiking monologue... funny stuff!

You usually don't get a sense of "steepness" in pictures and video, but those log steps you were descending looked steep!

I'm like you- sometimes I sleep well and sometimes I don't, but even if I'm not sleeping it's enjoyable just laying there and listening to the night chorus, and looking up at the stars if you can see them.

Did you have any problems finding good hammock sites during your hike? I'd love to hike up there someday!

Hammock
    Dream hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream13
    Insulation
    UGQ Zep/BanditXL
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    My first hammock experience was much the same. However, one difference is that it was 30F in November on my first hang. I had a $24 Walmart hammock that was only 9' and I banked on the suspension that came with it would work. I have yet to have learn about the Shug videos so I was learning on the fly. I think it took me an hour to get the stupid hammock strung up in the trees with a tiny *** blue plastic tarp tied up with paracord all also from Walmart. I ran out of paracord for the tarp sides so I just tied to anything I could such as another tree or using a big rock to hold the flaps down. I think I even had one corner flapping in the wind. I too stayed awake all night even though I was comfortable. I remember that I was serenaded by 3 different packs of coyotes howling until about an hour before sunrise. I have learned so much from that one trip from just the trials alone and I wouldn't have traded it for anything different. I have since tricked that hammock out to get the best hang possible out of it but quickly learned I needed a much longer hammock. I since have been sleeping in my much longer hammock 8-10 hours at a time where 5 is max in my own bed. I even daydream of just getting back out to hang again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    I finished editing my footage of my Presidential Traverse which was the main goal of this hiking trip. It's a bit choppy at points and I mumble a lot. Sorry about that. Also my sweaty head and water bottle keep popping into the frame so I need to work on my camera work. As for the hike itself the conditions couldn't have been better. It was in the 60s on the ridge and very little wind. Really I got super lucky to have such a great day. Around 19 miles total with around 8k of elevation gain. My legs were threatening to seize up towards the end but I made it down to my car in one piece!

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepp / Renegad
    Suspension
    buckle straps
    I agree. I sleep better in my hammock than I do in my bed.

• + New Posts