1.1 DL XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Modify ripped Warbonnet XLC 1.1 Double Layer into a Single Layer

On my AT thru hike this year the outer layer of my double layer XLC ripped. Warbonnet is awesome and sent me a replacement but I am now wondering about what to do with the damaged hammock. I am thinking about cutting out the entire out layer, sewing the bug net fully to the inner layer, and then having a lighter weight option. Has anyone else been down this path? Is it doable?

Afterwards, I am also thinking about trying to trade my now modified XLC 1.1 single layer for a regular Blackbird single layer to further cut some weight from my pack (only after altering mine, I don't want anyone sending my already replaced damaged hammock back to Warbonnet for a warranty)

Any advice is much appreciated!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    How do you rip only one layer? I mean really rip it, not just damage it?

I guess you could give removing the layer a try, especially since you already got a replacement and have nothing to lose. However, Warbonnet doesn't sell a 1.1oz single layer XLC, and they probably have good reasons why they don't. The 1.1oz single layer Traveler has a capacity of only 200lbs, and the XLC is made for larger people who probably are heavier on average than the 10' hammock users.

If you want to do it properly, you would need to take apart the XLC, remove the zipper, open the seams to remove the outer layer, re-sew the seams, sew the zipper back on and re-whip the hammock. That's an interesting project, especially if you are interested in DIY. But it will be a lot of work.

I don't know if I would want to trade a standard Blackbird for a modified XLC, especially if it's kind of experimental. But maybe you're lucky. Some people like pushing borders if it means saving another ounce or two.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Did you end up doing this mod? I’m thinking of removing a layer of my 1.7 Double to save weight. I can handle the removal and repair with no problem. It’s the re-whipping that worries me.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyc View Post
    Did you end up doing this mod? I’m thinking of removing a layer of my 1.7 Double to save weight. I can handle the removal and repair with no problem. It’s the re-whipping that worries me.
    Wouldn't it be easier to sell what you have and buy what you want?

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Modify ripped Warbonnet XLC 1.1 Double Layer into a Single Layer

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    How do you rip only one layer? I mean really rip it, not just damage it?

I guess you could give removing the layer a try, especially since you already got a replacement and have nothing to lose. However, Warbonnet doesn't sell a 1.1oz single layer XLC, and they probably have good reasons why they don't. The 1.1oz single layer Traveler has a capacity of only 200lbs, and the XLC is made for larger people who probably are heavier on average than the 10' hammock users.

If you want to do it properly, you would need to take apart the XLC, remove the zipper, open the seams to remove the outer layer, re-sew the seams, sew the zipper back on and re-whip the hammock. That's an interesting project, especially if you are interested in DIY. But it will be a lot of work.

I don't know if I would want to trade a standard Blackbird for a modified XLC, especially if it's kind of experimental. But maybe you're lucky. Some people like pushing borders if it means saving another ounce or two.
    I completed this project over the weekend. It wasn’t bad at all. My concern was getting the whipping back right, but it was a cake walk. Took roughly 11oz off the total weight. I’m pretty handy with a fabric welder, so you can’t tell it has been modified. I know this voids any warranty I might have, but I’m ok with that. Carefully ripped all the necessary seams and never cut a piece of fabric. I guess you could say I did it the “right” way, if there is such a thing when hacking up a $200 hammock!

Would it have been easier to sell it and buy a SL? Probably so, but I enjoy tinkering with things, and it was fun! Plus I gained an extra 11’ hammock out of the deal!

These hammocks aren’t near as complex as I thought they would be. It’s quite a simple design, and very well thought out. The sorcery is in the cut and design of the bugnet. That is what makes it stand apart from other hammocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    One more thing. It took right at 4 hours from start to finish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts