Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

why would you watch hiking videos on youtube?

This article in Outdoors magazine attempts to answer that question. As one of the many people who put up videos of hammock camping and hiking, I'm pleased to find out that I'm part of a movement I didn't even know about.

Hope the link works: https://www.outsideonline.com/224338...medium=xmlfeed

Cheers.

Edited to add: I was disappointed that they didn't mention Shug. Gross oversight on their part.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Never heard of any they mentioned.

At first I was learning about gear and hammocks. Now want to learn about places and trails. Shug adds just good fun entertainment to both the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Shug gets me through the winter. I get out, snowshoe and ski but miss the long trips and seeing the non snowy landscape. We haunt all the same trails so his videos keep me grounded through the long dark. It helps that he's incredibly entertaining as well but I don't know how I'd get by without his trip series. The rest of the year, yea I'll check out his videos and others for the areas I travel or any big trips I have planned just to see the lay of the land, tips, if anythings changed, beaver dams, downed trees, dried up water sources etc. It's just the modern evolution of media, first I was on message boards for trail conditions, then email lists / websites, now youtube.
    Last edited by alifeoutdoors; 09-27-2017 at 12:07.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Primitive Technology might be the greatest channel in the history of youtube

I've never been so enthralled just watching someone do stuff before (and then I learned to turn on closed captioning, and was even more impressed)

but yeah, I'd wager a big chunk of folks here have Shug to blame (praise?) for interest in hammocking, and hiking in general

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Raven
    Tarp
    Dutch
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetles
    Images
    The videos from Shug sent me a little further down the rabbit hole, inspire me and kept me from making SOME mistakes . The "trip" videos keep the juices flowing, and can also be a source of good ideas.

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I started by looking for gear videos and how tos while trying to lighten our gear for canoe trips. While watching one guy's alcohol stove videos, he kept mentioning Shug. So my 1st introduction to Shug had nothing to do with hiking or hammocks. We had seen a couple of guys using hammocks on the river and Laurie kept bringing it up, I said, "I think that Shug guy has some hammock videos" lol hooked.

Then came Dutch, Sintax, Jaxx, C2T, etc....

I watch them for a mix of entertainment, advice, and inspiration! I make videos mostly for my family and friends, its easier to show them than explain what we do.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I watch them as a form of entertainment especially when I can't get out myself, sure beats the NFL. If you haven't heard of carlisle195 you should give his channel a try he ranks up there with Shug , Jaxx and the like.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I usually watch them to get a lay of the land in which they hike.

Glad they did not mention me!....been getting a string of truly nasty comments lately but I hit back with wit. Then I block them and banish them from fifedom and erase the comment. They will get no satisfaction. I don't have time for word-cowards. Easy to be tough at a computer.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennsy Camp and Canoe View Post
    I make videos mostly for my family and friends, its easier to show them than explain what we do.
    This is why I like going along with the "youtubers" (as my father calls them) on hikes and whatnot. My dad and I did BWCA trips together for years and years, but as he's older and dealing with a wife with failing health issues he can't get out at all anymore for overnights. So he loves it when I can send him a video of my latest "adventure" that he can watch, living vicariously, nostalgia etc. It's just a boon that the "youtubers" generally be pretty cool and self sufficient people to be on a hike with (and that's the real reason not the boon) Plus I have no interest, skills or energy to make those videos. After witnessing and talking with them about it, it's amazing the amount of work that goes into shooting / editing with the emphasis on editing, if you want a really polished cut.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I usually watch them to get a lay of the land in which they hike.

Glad they did not mention me!....been getting a string of truly nasty comments lately but I hit back with wit. Then I block them and banish them from fifedom and erase the comment. They will get no satisfaction. I don't have time for word-cowards. Easy to be tough at a computer.
    Shug
    Good for you Shug. I notice some other youtubers hitting back with wit and they do a great job. Gives the haters nowhere to go. Diffusing he negativity. I think some people are just bored; the types that will give the only thumbs down when there are 10,000 ups.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast