145 angle pole joint over ridgeline for pole mods?

Hello all. I'm trying to decide what system to order for a pole mod. I noticed some DYI pole mods were using a 145 angle pole joint where it crosses the ridgeline.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-quot-Mod-quot

I like the idea of relieving stress on the pullouts and reducing "press down" on the ridgeline fabric (I don't use a continuous ridgeline)...but doesn't this reduce the effectiveness of the whole "pull out" force? Would I be better off just using slightly longer straight poles - to make it "bow up" more to take pressure off the ridgeline fabric and also pull OUT more than UP on the pullout tabs because they attach slightly lower down the side walls?

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I use straight poles, no angle. I haven't had any problems at all. I've never tried them but I would think that using an angle would defeat the whole purpose of using poles. Remember that you can adjust the length of connector from the pole ends to the pull-outs to suit your needs/preference.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I started off with regular pole mods, then made a set out of carbon fiber arrows to make them smaller and lightweight. But now I generally just find the right size stick when out in the bush, been doing it for over a year and have no sign of wear on the top of the tarp. You shouldn't have to worry about wear on the top of your tarp especially if you have a Ridgeline that goes over the top.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Thanks for your comments. I'm probably just being overly paranoid about the "ridgeline rubbing". But there's another thread right now:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...idgeline/page2

where multiple people have reporting leaking caused by the poles flattening the top of the tarp where it crosses the ridgeline causing water to pool and eventually leak in. I've already bought Dutchware to rig this tarp (my first) with a non-continuous ridgeline. I really don't want to have to string a "second ridgeline" just for the poles to rest on. I wonder how many people out there with a non-continuous ridgeline are having any problems with pole-mods. I would rather deal with side pullout lines than with a leaking ridgeline. Hmmmm....

Just thinking out loud...I won't know until I get my tarp (UGQ Winter Dream 13 XL) but if the tarp ridgeline arches up enough at the ends - I suppose I could leave a permanent 2nd line attached from D ring to D ring to serve as a rest for the poles. But I'm guessing there's probably not going to be enough distance there to prevent the poles from pressing that line down to the tarp ridge. Guess I'll have to just wait and see.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bribak View Post
    Thanks for your comments. I'm probably just being overly paranoid about the "ridgeline rubbing". But there's another thread right now:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...idgeline/page2

where multiple people have reporting leaking caused by the poles flattening the top of the tarp where it crosses the ridgeline causing water to pool and eventually leak in. I've already bought Dutchware to rig this tarp (my first) with a non-continuous ridgeline. I really don't want to have to string a "second ridgeline" just for the poles to rest on. I wonder how many people out there with a non-continuous ridgeline are having any problems with pole-mods. I would rather deal with side pullout lines than with a leaking ridgeline. Hmmmm....
    Just seem seal the Ridgeline if you're worried about it, it only takes about 5 minutes. I Seamsealed mine and use a pole mod that rests right on the seam and I've never had any leakage.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Quote Originally Posted by Carrico View Post
    Just seem seal the Ridgeline if you're worried about it, it only takes about 5 minutes. I Seamsealed mine and use a pole mod that rests right on the seam and I've never had any leakage.
    Thanks for your experience. I'm leaning towards giving it a try. I plan to seam seal both my ridgeline and pullouts.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bribak View Post
    Thanks for your experience. I'm leaning towards giving it a try. I plan to seam seal both my ridgeline and pullouts.
    If you haven't sealed your pull outs already then you should definitely do the Ridgeline when you do them, if you don't it'll leak at least the tie outs for sure. It's really easy to do, any hundred percent clear silicone sealant will work, you don't need to dilute it just rub it on there. The two thing you don't want to do is not put enough on or fold up the tarp before it's completely cured.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I bought a set of poles that gave with the angled middle piece. I made one or two sets of poles and they work. But first, it is a little more awkward to pack the poles because of that short (about 3 to 4 inches) piece with a angle. And second, having used the angle, I think the straight poles with a bow would work as well if not better in pulling the sides out. You do want some tension on their so they don't flap loose in the wind. I believe three 18 inches sections for a total of 54 inches is common.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I bought a set of poles that gave with the angled middle piece. I made one or two sets of poles and they work. But first, it is a little more awkward to pack the poles because of that short (about 3 to 4 inches) piece with a angle. And second, having used the angle, I think the straight poles with a bow would work as well if not better in pulling the sides out. You do want some tension on their so they don't flap loose in the wind. I believe three 18 inches sections for a total of 54 inches is common.
    Thanks for your comments. I think I will stay with the straight poles.

• + New Posts