10' DH Sparrow, Net+OC
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20- 40°TQ
    Suspension
    SpWeb2.0+whoopies

NC: Linville Gorge

I've got a group of friends that are heading to Linville Gorge in the next month. I've been looking at the maps on LGMaps.org, and will have a few water-proof printed copies w/ us while we're there, seeing as the LGMaps version is by far the most complete. We're close enough in to the trip that I can see a preliminary forecast, and it's unfortunately looking like rain right now.

This of course can change, but just in case, I'm retooling our rough route plan for the conditions- the original was a variation of the loop off of Backpacker magazine but with the start point at the MST trailhead south of PinchIn rather than the wolf pit trailhead. Seeing that the river crossing @ Spence ridge might be a tad dicey, I'm just devising an alternate plan.

My principal question is this: we're permitted for the second and third nights of our trip, which means that we have to spend the first night outside of the wilderness area boundary. The ranger that issued the permit said that areas off of Kistler Hwy were eligible for non-permitted camping, as were areas off of Table Rock Rd. Looking at the map provided by LGMaps, there appears to be a third area of eligible camps to the south of the wilderness area, on the MST- near where it makes the southern crossing of the Linville River. Are these eligible for that first night as well? If so, I was thinking making that the 1st night camp, then crossing the river and continuing north to Shortoff the next day, seeing as it seems to be the more forgiving of the river crossings in regards to discharge rate. Specifcally that camp that is on the small hill ~.8 miles from the river crossing.

This of course is assuming that the rain isn't so bad as to make the crossing unsafe. We've got a group of 8, and half of us are somewhat experienced w/ backpacking, river crossings and the like.

Any guidance on that 1st night campsite, handling the trail in the wet, and just general info about current conditions in the wilderness area are MUCH appreciated Thank you!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    There are experienced Gorge Rats around this forum but the best source of info is at:

http://www.linvillegorge.net/

Sign up (free) someone will probably approve your signup within the hour. Then make a new forum post with your questions. Nobody knows the gorge like these guys.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Good advice from PappyAmos.

Here's the link to the current river levels: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nc/nwis/uv?site_no=02138500. Rule of thumb is that under 200 expect an easy crossing, above the more experienced of you in the group need to make a judgement call. Check your takes also against the thread on the fall gathering, if they overlap you may want to stop by and say hi. Good luck.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    10' DH Sparrow, Net+OC
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20- 40°TQ
    Suspension
    SpWeb2.0+whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Good advice from PappyAmos.

Here's the link to the current river levels: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nc/nwis/uv?site_no=02138500. Rule of thumb is that under 200 expect an easy crossing, above the more experienced of you in the group need to make a judgement call. Check your takes also against the thread on the fall gathering, if they overlap you may want to stop by and say hi. Good luck.
    TY- Definitely taking that advice and hitting up the Linville forum. We'll see if we run into any of them while we're there- I suspect we will- the RockJock trail is high on the list of must visits

Hammock
    10' DH Sparrow, Net+OC
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20- 40°TQ
    Suspension
    SpWeb2.0+whoopies
    excellent tip, just subd my account with them. IDK how I missed hearing about them, they're the perfect people for this.

Permits are required for camping Fri, Sat nights and Holidays in the wilderness area May 1 through Oct 31st. You said you have a permit for two nights. What is the third day you need to be permitted? If you arriving on a Non holiday Thursday camping in the gorge/wilderness should be good.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5366087.pdf

Hammock
    10' DH Sparrow, Net+OC
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20- 40°TQ
    Suspension
    SpWeb2.0+whoopies
    Huh, so not Sunday night? I had called into the GFRD office on the first of this month, and the lady I spoke with issued the permit for Sunday and Monday nights (no holiday on Mon). Which is weird in either case, but we should be fine- we start that Saturday, so it was the first night that I was concerned about camping outside the wilderness area.

I'm not as concerned about the above now- the group and I have been debating a couple of new routes: half of the group has not backpacked before (camped yes, hiked yes, just not hiked & camped), and none of us have been to the gorge before. The Linville Gorge forums have been extremely useful- we're now thinking of scrapping the original route (basically a variant of the ITAYG) seeing that it's likely more than we can take and still be happy about it.

We're sticking to the rim, with the possibility of going down Spence, crossing (if the river allows and we feel okay about that), then going up Conley and finishing on the RockJock. Keeps us away from the rougher sections of the LGT, and keeps us completely off the madness that would have been trying the PinchIn and Lead Mine trails in potentially wet conditions. Does preserve them views though, and the option to get a look at (or camp at) the Cathedral Falls We'll have multiple cars, so a shuttle or even pick up and move between basecamps is easily doable and yield a LOT more flexibility should we find that we need a backup plan.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GearJunkie_1307 View Post
    Huh, so not Sunday night? I had called into the GFRD office on the first of this month, and the lady I spoke with issued the permit for Sunday and Monday nights (no holiday on Mon). Which is weird in either case, but we should be fine- we start that Saturday, so it was the first night that I was concerned about camping outside the wilderness area.

I'm not as concerned about the above now- the group and I have been debating a couple of new routes: half of the group has not backpacked before (camped yes, hiked yes, just not hiked & camped), and none of us have been to the gorge before. The Linville Gorge forums have been extremely useful- we're now thinking of scrapping the original route (basically a variant of the ITAYG) seeing that it's likely more than we can take and still be happy about it.

We're sticking to the rim, with the possibility of going down Spence, crossing (if the river allows and we feel okay about that), then going up Conley and finishing on the RockJock. Keeps us away from the rougher sections of the LGT, and keeps us completely off the madness that would have been trying the PinchIn and Lead Mine trails in potentially wet conditions. Does preserve them views though, and the option to get a look at (or camp at) the Cathedral Falls We'll have multiple cars, so a shuttle or even pick up and move between basecamps is easily doable and yield a LOT more flexibility should we find that we need a backup plan.
    The whole Gorge is rough!
    The fact that some of your group has never backpacked makes me think you should skip the Spence river crossing.
    May I suggest this route:
    Good first one is down Conely Cove...south on Linville River Trail...up Pinchin....road walk a bit North...get on Rock Jock back to Conely.

You'll get ridge views and river views. Plenty of challenge on Pinchin. No river crossing. You could go north as Conely meets Linville River Trail and check Cathedral Falls. Double back and head toward Pinchin. Conely is pretty forgiving for the Gorge. Plenty of camping down by river.
    This is just my opinion after doing many, many trips in the Gorge.
    My Gorge playlist....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...m-lIoauJ4p6uNt

Shug

Cathedral Falls Site
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    10' DH Sparrow, Net+OC
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20- 40°TQ
    Suspension
    SpWeb2.0+whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    The whole Gorge is rough!
    The fact that some of your group has never backpacked makes me think you should skip the Spence river crossing.
    May I suggest this route:
    Good first one is down Conely Cove...south on Linville River Trail...up Pinchin....road walk a bit North...get on Rock Jock back to Conely.

You'll get ridge views and river views. Plenty of challenge on Pinchin. No river crossing. You could go north as Conely meets Linville River Trail and check Cathedral Falls. Double back and head toward Pinchin. Conely is pretty forgiving for the Gorge. Plenty of camping down by river.
    This is just my opinion after doing many, many trips in the Gorge.
    My Gorge playlist....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...m-lIoauJ4p6uNt

Shug
    Dang, two replies from Shug! Nice to hear from you- RockJock and Conley are high on the list because they do seem more forgiving than the other ways into the gorge, which is good since there still is the slim chance of some rain while we're there. And we're definitely skipping the leadmine.

Everyone in the group has done water crossings before, and they've hiked long distances before. They just haven't yet done a multi-day loop or shuttle like we were thinking. We're definitely now planning with the option of picking up and moving our transport to the other rim should we get a look at the Spence crossing and not feel so great about it. Water levels are looking decent as of now, but again- just keeping an eye on the weather should it cause the river to rise, especially with the wacky fall we're having in the SE. And everybody will have poles- the more I read off of the LG forum the more I think it's madness to hike it w/out them.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GearJunkie_1307 View Post
    Dang, two replies from Shug! Nice to hear from you- RockJock and Conley are high on the list because they do seem more forgiving than the other ways into the gorge, which is good since there still is the slim chance of some rain while we're there. And we're definitely skipping the leadmine.

Everyone in the group has done water crossings before, and they've hiked long distances before. They just haven't yet done a multi-day loop or shuttle like we were thinking. We're definitely now planning with the option of picking up and moving our transport to the other rim should we get a look at the Spence crossing and not feel so great about it. Water levels are looking decent as of now, but again- just keeping an eye on the weather should it cause the river to rise, especially with the wacky fall we're having in the SE. And everybody will have poles- the more I read off of the LG forum the more I think it's madness to hike it w/out them.

Just remember....Gorge miles are not like regular miles. Take my word for it.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast