Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How tight is too tight? (under quilt primary suspension)

Hey all,
    I have recently received my new under quilt, and am still trying to figure out the mystique that surrounds it. I have never had one before, and to say the least, it is rather frustrating.

I think I may have finally dialed it in, but am a little concerned with how tight the primary suspension is. From what I can gather, people say to tighten the primary suspension more than you think. And so, I did just that. I kept tying knots roughly every 6 inches until it seemed to hug me. All in all I think I took about 4 feet out of the shock cord (primary suspension), and it is very tight. Any looser, though, and the under quilt has a significant gap between my butt and mid-calf on the left side. This is the only tension that seems to make it hug me at that point.

Anyway, below are pictures of the under quilt at the very tight tension. There is very little give in the primary suspension's shock cord when loaded. Also, the picture with the two shock cord pieces is both the primary and secondary suspension. I believe they are both the same diameter shock cord, however, the very thin one (because it is stretched) is the primary suspension.

Do you think this is too tight, and I'm doing something wrong? Or is this normal?

Thanks!
    IMG_0356.jpgIMG_0357.jpgIMG_0362.jpgIMG_0375.jpgIMG_0376.jpgIMG_0377.jpgIMG_0378.jpg

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    i too was surprised how tight i had to have my primary, i ended up using a carabiner attached to my ridgeline to hold the foot end shock cords up.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It should lift your hammock up in the air without you in the hammock.
    Here is some UQ intel that may give you some insight.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    Shug to the rescue!

Thanks for the replies all,
    I just want to be clear, though. I have watched all of your video's shug (all excellent), and have done just as you instructed. I have tightened the primary suspension considerably, put my foot shock cord above my foot, etc.
    The problem, though, is that I have tightened the suspension to the point where the under quilt seemingly hugs me at all points and the bottom of the under quilt is at roughly my waste height when unloaded, however, there is little to no give in the shock cord. Also, the under quilt is bringing up the hammock considerably. I am wondering if that is bad, or if the primary suspension shouldn't be that tight.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig View Post
    Thanks for the replies all,
    I just want to be clear, though. I have watched all of your video's shug (all excellent), and have done just as you instructed. I have tightened the primary suspension considerably, put my foot shock cord above my foot, etc.
    The problem, though, is that I have tightened the suspension to the point where the under quilt seemingly hugs me at all points and the bottom of the under quilt is at roughly my waste height when unloaded, however, there is little to no give in the shock cord. Also, the under quilt is bringing up the hammock considerably. I am wondering if that is bad, or if the primary suspension shouldn't be that tight.
    Yes, it should lift it.
    It looks fine to me in the pix with you laying in it.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    For what it's worth, this problem is the inspiration behind the Get A Clew thread. If it continues to bother you, you might consider modding it.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    When we first hung our LLG UQ's the top edge was just below my chin (i'm not very tall). Though it seemed to work ok, we didn't care for the excess side pressure. Also, it flattened the insulation on our butts. Eventually I began experimenting with various length dogbones and mini-biners to lessen the tension. We got it to the point that the suspension still lifts the hammock, just not to ridiculous levels, the down is nearly fully lofted in the butt area, and the side pressure is far lower. Trying to get every last puff of airspace out by increasing the tension to such high levels may just bring you beyond the point of diminishing returns.

As you've already surmised, "needing" to max out the primary is telling you something's not quite right.

EDIT > I agree, I also prefer clews over standard suspension.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    For what it's worth, this problem is the inspiration behind the Get A Clew thread. If it continues to bother you, you might consider modding it.
    This! Although I don’t use quite as many lines (only five on each end) this has made all the difference for me. The whole idea is really quite brilliant. If you want my take on the clew system, let me know. Happy to send pics and such. Not quite as fancy as leiavoia but I’m lazy.

Oh and....now that I am officially a “crabby old guy”.....the whole set up will feel MUCH better after a good haircut and shave. Been there, done that. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    From looking at your final phot (7 of 7) it looks like part of your suspension is not attached to your S-biner. I had this issue when I set up mine for the fist time. Both large shock cord pieces should be attached to your S-biner. OR you can you use something like the Tato Gear quilt hanger to attach to the shock cord that is not knotted onto the S-biner. That is what I use for my quilt, as it brings the quilt up higher and makes it stay more centered.
    Of course, maybe I misjudged your photo and all of my comments are moot, but heck, couldn't hurt to mention.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast