Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images

Silpoly 20D or 30D?

It's going to boil down to a weight vs. durability, I'd imagine. I currently have a membrane silpoly tarp that has one small tear and I fear for it's lifespan, especially around my boys. My wondering is that 30D might be worth the weight penalty, as silpoly is already more vulnerable than silnylon of equal weight/denier. The only current 30D silpoly tarps I know of are Warbonnet's. Thanks in advance for weighing in.

Senior Member Andy "Bull" Bullock's Avatar
    Hammock
    WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB lynx & Costco
    Suspension
    straps+Dutch bling
    I've got the 20d cloudburst. I'm happy with it. However like you mentioned I fear for its lifespan too. With a 9, 11 and 13 year old I'm sure I'll be buying more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by happydensity View Post
    It's going to boil down to a weight vs. durability, I'd imagine. I currently have a membrane silpoly tarp that has one small tear and I fear for it's lifespan, especially around my boys. My wondering is that 30D might be worth the weight penalty, as silpoly is already more vulnerable than silnylon of equal weight/denier. The only current 30D silpoly tarps I know of are Warbonnet's. Thanks in advance for weighing in.
    Getting the WB Thunderfly and considering the 20D vs 30D. Hoping to get some others input on what you have used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead uq
    I have the 30D silpoly Superfly. Have not used it much yet, and not in the rain yet, so my words aren't worth much. I figured that since silpoly is supposed to be more vulnerable I should go with the 30D, i think it is lighter so 30D silpoly is near 20D silnylon in weight (i could be totally wrong, but at least this belief is a big reason i went with 30D)

I am glad i went with 30D so far. I have the WBRR, so when the poles rub against the tarp sides, i think i am glad i have 30D. When a branch rubs against the tarp wall because i was not careful enough with site selection, setting up or clearing away some fallen branches, i am glad i have 30D. But who knows if it matters. Just a bit of peace of mind i suppose. It does not feel heavy, so i dont think you will take it out and be setting it up and thinking "This stuff is heavy like canvas, why did i get this heavy stuff" still feels pretty light.

Hammock
    WBBB, Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/ WBSF
    Insulation
    HG, JrB
    I was leery but went with the 20D anyway. I probably have close to 20 nights on it since the summer and have had zero issues. It stood up to some serious wind and branches slapping it without a single puncture or tear.

• + New Posts