Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Greetings from a Noob in Minnesota!

Dear HF Compatriots,

This is my first post on this forum. I am very interested in hammock camping, but have not yet purchased a hammock or the assorted paraphernalia. I look to you, the experts, for your seasoned and sage advice on hammocks, tarps, pads vs. underquilts and any other necessary items.

I'm 5'11" and about 180 pounds, and I am a side sleeper. I'd like to have the option of doing some winter camping, possibly in Northern Minnesota. (Shug Emery's YouTube videos are a delightfully bad influence.)

When considering a hammock, I'd really like to buy from REI, if at all humanly possible. If my own personal hammock camping experience becomes a Dante's Inferno debacle, I'd like to exercise REI's generous return policy so my husband doesn't become unhinged. I stopped at REI today, and the person on the sales floor was trying to steer me toward the REI version of what appeared to be a Hennessey hammock system. He also tried to steer me toward the complete ENO system with bug net, underquilt and whatever else was necessary.

I'm not sure if it matters, but I usually hike with a Osprey Kyte 46 pack. I'm also a kayaker, and I'd like something I can fit into the hatch of a Jackson Tupelo 12.5.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Karla

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Welcome to Hammock Forums. Wonderful people and lots to learn. Here's hoping you enjoy this site...
    T

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome to Hammock forums Karla. You'll not find a lot of love for ENO's on this message board because they are small and not the most comfortable camping hammock. The most popular hammocks on this site are those that are built by the cottage vendors like Warbonnet, DutchWareGear, SimplyLightDesigns, etc. If you want a comfortable hammock check these companies out. You can also make your own gear as well and it's not all that hard.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Karla! I'm Karla! And I was born in Minnesota! I really hope we can meet at a hang sometime. I love to meet fellow Karla "with a k"'s!

#1 - HYOY - Hang Your Own Hang! If you want to try out an ENO system and take advantage of the REI return policy - then do it!

#2 - I got started by borrowing hammock gear at a local hang. If there aren't any hangs locally, you can start one. Start a post here and see if others jump on it. So many of us have extra gear and are happy to lend it to someone who is really interested.

#3 - REI released a bridge-style hammock this spring. Click here. And while I haven't tried it out, the online reviews are pretty positive. And side sleepers find bridge style hammocks comfortable too.

#4. EVERYONE has an opinion! Take everything with a grain of salt on here. (Even this post.)

#5. I got started slowly and inexpensively. I bought a hammock kit from RipStopbytheRoll and taught myself to sew and made a hammock. I got an REI garage sale deal on an ENO Housefly tarp. I found a Yukon bugnet on WOOT!. I got tree straps off of kickstarter (now I wish I would have made my own because they are really easy).

#6. If you purchase from a cottage vendor rather than REI, people will purchase quality used gear. Prices depend. Look around at what prices people are selling items for. I got started hammocking just to see if I liked it, now that I know what I like, I'm making a lot of gear. Great youtube videos out there. And AWESOME cottage vendors who have TONS of experience making the gear.

#7. I started with a pad and have graduated to an underquilt. This upgrade made my hammock experience MUCH more enjoyable. I recommend getting an underquilt as quickly as you can.

#8. I can't state it loud enough. Do what is right for you - that's what is meant by Hang Your Own Hang.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks! It's nice to hear from a 'neighbor.' I'm looking forward to learning a lot!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm getting the idea that ENO isn't a fan favorite here. I appreciate hearing that--I want to make sure I get the most comfortable hammock I can. I've found out the hard way over the years that a good deal doesn't always equate to a good time. (Try paddling a 9 foot kayak up stream. If you're looking for a core workout, you found it.) I looked at the Warbonnet site today. I noticed that the most popular hammock will be out of stock for a couple of weeks. I may wait and check back with them. I also read somewhere on this form that the Hennessy hammocks are more durable?! Is that true?

I'd like to start hammock camping and then eventually drag my 6'3", 240 lb husband into it. He's really hard on equipment, so I want to make sure that whatever I buy will withstand the "Gus Test."

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Dear Karla "with a k",

It's nice to meet a fellow Karla, especially one that spells her name correctly. For many years when people would ask if I spelled my name with a "C" or a "K," I would reply, "I spell mine with a 'K.' You can tell by the way it's pronounced."

The clerk at the neighborhood REI showed me the bridge hammock online. I like the fact that I can sleep on my side.

In response to #4, well, I negotiate union contracts for a living. I don't take most things with a grain of salt. I drive to Fleet Farm and buy the salt lick! I definitely do want the best gear I can afford to buy to ensure I'm not going to abandon the idea due to gear failure, inability to operate, or sheer stupidity on my part. As far as this goes at this point, I'm going it alone. My husband considers himself to be 'outdoorsy' because he likes to have cocktails on a patio.

I'm seriously considering the underquilt idea instead of a pad. I've read so many comments about pads shifting, or not being as comfortable. I also read that the double layer is far more preferable to the single.

The one thing I thought about doing was trying to DIY the ground tarp for under the hammock. I actually can sew, and I also make quilts. This can't be that difficult to make, provided I can find the right material. I found waterproof/breathable fabric for only $6 per yard at a local Minneapolis area fabric store, so I'm going to try my hand at making rain gear.

Thank you (and everyone else that responded to my post) for your quick reply. I really appreciate knowing that there are other like-minded people out there doing this, that may not think I'm a nut job.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Hi Karla,

Welcome! I too have a husband that does not hammock camp, he is claustrophobic, so it freaks him out. He prefers a bigger tent. He went to his first hang a few weeks ago and had a great time though he tented. I know what you mean about your husband coming "unhinged": "How many hammocks do you need?!" Karla with a "K" said it all in her response. I went with a WBB (warbonnet blackbird). It is very durable especially the two layer version which you can use a pad in if you don't want to start with an under quilt. I can't speak to the Hennessy's durability. Good luck and enjoy the exploration! there is so much to learn here. I recommend also for you to reach out to hangers in your neck of the woods by sending a post out or going to a hang near you so you can look at everyone's gear and try it out. Many people. have extra equipment you could use at a hang and see if you like it. Good luck.

Hammock
    WBRR or Clark North American
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Reaper
    Suspension
    Cinch/Helios/Atlas
    Karla - Welcome and Karla is pointing you in the right direction. Winter camping... I'm in Ontario, Canada and camp all four seasons. My threshold with current gear seems to be -9 F. Litterally one degree more or enough wind and I've got cold feet, my nose hurts and so on.

Test your gear regularly. Don't test your gear in the field, test somewhere close to home. Last but not least, you really do seem to get what you pay for.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks! I appreciate your advice. I'm originally from somewhere colder than Minnesota, believe it or not, and staying warm is a priority.

I'm lucky in that I have a decent backyard I can test in. I think I should be able to secure a hammock to a tree, and to one of the corners of our deck. At least then if I test it, my husband can see if I've turned into a human Popsicle.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast