Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Dear Tollermama,

My husband is not a camper, either. Camping is a hotel without room service. This is good, because separation is good for a relationship at times. He's just going to make sure I'm heavily insured!

The idea of being able to use a pad or an underquilt appeals to me. Having options is never a bad idea. I'm seriously taking a look at the WBBB, just as soon as its back in stock.

The area I live in had a great, locally owned outfitter in addition to REI. I bought a new kayak there last week, and I ran into the training manager. I specifically asked about classes on hammock camping, and he said that they always offer them, but closer to spring. Right now I'm devouring Youtube videos from several folks, and seem to be getting decent tips. There are several pieces of gear people seem to agree on, which is nice.

There also seems to be a universal hatred of ENO, too, which is interesting to me. I find those hammocks in outfitters all over Minnesota.

Thank you again for your speedy reply!

Karla

Hammock
    DIY 11' Single Layer Netless
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    MummyBag/Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & June Bugs
    Good Morning! I'm also from MN and just started backyard hanging this summer. I actually spent last night under my deck...its a walkout basement, so the deck is like 10' above the ground. I slept great! Last night was ~70 degrees, but a couple weeks ago I spent the night out when it got down to 47 degrees. No quilts, just a 40 degree bag, bivy cover, warm base layer, and a Thermarest Ridgerest pad. Posted about it here. Having the pad inside my bivy cover keeps it right where I want it. My goal is to be comfortable at 40 degrees or a bit lower, and be "not miserable" if it dips down to 30 degrees. Pretty sure I can get there without a quilt.

I have a 10' cheapo double-hammock and suspension from Sam's Club, I think. It's pretty basic, but came with carabiners and straps for something like $30 so I had to try it. I'm 6' tall and ~200#. I can side sleep if I curl up a little, but not if I stretch out. I am a stomach/side sleeper in a bed, but I can sleep on my back in a hammock and sleep comfortably. The trick is the "structural ridge line" to control the sag, and laying on the diagonal. Someday I will upgrade to a longer hammock (probably make my own), but mine is working for me right now. So far I've got ~$110 invested in my tarp ($60), pad ($20) and hammock. Add another $25 for a bug net kit from ripstopbytheroll.com and I'll have a functional setup for under $150. I just bring this up because some folks make it sound like you need $500 in gear just to get started. Sure, good gear costs money, but you can still have a great experience with a [much] smaller price tag if you choose to. In the end, YOU are the one spending YOUR money. Spend it on what matters to you (REI return policy is a great example).

Good Luck!

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie sling
    Karla: Welcome to the forums.
    As you are finding out, the variety of choices in this hobby can be overwhelming. Some folks here like to try lots of kinds of gear, and end up building an impressive collection of different hammocks, quilts, etc. Others don't have the budget or mindset for that, and want the first purchase to stick. If you are in the latter category, I would suggest that the first thing to consider is whether you want the hammock to have an integrated bug net. If your camping style is such that you would almost always need a bugnet, having an integreated net certainly simplifies the setup. For myself, I find a netted hammock slightly claustrophobic, and love the open feeling of a netless hammock. You can get a Fronkey style bugnet or make your own that can be installed on a netless hammock. I only do it when the bugs are pretty bad. One possibility is the new Dutchware Chameleon, which has an integrated bugnet that can be completely removed.

On another note, you mentioned using a tree and a deck post in your yard. I would be extremely cautious about the deck post; a loaded hammock exerts tremendous horizontal forces.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    I'm seriously considering the underquilt idea instead of a pad. I've read so many comments about pads shifting, or not being as comfortable. I also read that the double layer is far more preferable to the single.
    * When I started out using a pad, I was lucky to already own a Big Agnes sleeping bag which has a pad sleeve underneath. I added a piece of reflectix (from Home Depot) to keep my shoulders warm. Since you are familiar with Shug's videos, here's one of this topic: Using a Camping Pad as Hammock Insulation

The one thing I thought about doing was trying to DIY the ground tarp for under the hammock. I actually can sew, and I also make quilts. This can't be that difficult to make, provided I can find the right material.
    * I made my own ground tarp too. I used tyvek and put grommets into the corners to stake it down. (When you wash Tyvek (without soap) and let it air dry, it becomes quiet and soft.) I have found I only use a ground tarp when it rains, there is mud or snow.

I really appreciate knowing that there are other like-minded people out there doing this, that may not think I'm a nut job.
    I fully admit I'm a hammock nut job.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    For what it's worth....here's my thoughts.

11' does make all the difference. Mass produced hammocks are great for lounging, not so much for sleeping. This is the most important part of the kit, consider carefully.

Double layer is great for many reasons but not a necessity. If weight is not a priority, if it's in the budget and you plan to use a pad then you might consider it.

Underquilt - many diy options, easy to do on a budget.

Top quilt - very easy to diy

Tarp - many great options. Not sure what REI has the Kelty Noah's 12 is tough to beat and can often be had on sale at Amazon (and Woot I think). Check out the reviews and info.

Bugnet - another easy diy though in ten years I've only used mine once....I just don't camp in bug season all that much. I mostly camp from northern Illinois through Wisconsin and up in your area (love the BWCA). By the time late August hits, it's usually too chilly at night for skeeters.

For reference my priorities are....
    Comfort
    Quality/durability
    Cost
    Ease of use
    Weight
    Style
    (Oh and I research stuff ad nauseum).

I typically camp from a vehicle like car, canoe, kayak or boat. When I do backpack it's usually not more than a few miles at a time (think BWCA).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Dear DylanC,

Nice to hear from a fellow Minnesotan, even though I'm a transplant. Thanks for your advice. Thanks for the tip on the bivy cover. I've looked at the Thermarest pads online. From my perspective you can look at gear for any hobby a couple of different ways. A. invest in the best gear you can afford that has been tested by others doing whatever it is longer. If you find out you hate whatever the activity is, it's much easier to sell. B. buy less expensive gear or DIY it, and then pass it along to a friend if it doesn't work out.

I don't know if you watch Kare11 out of MPLS, but last winter when it was several degrees below the donut, they did a story on a kid from either Edina or Eden Prairie. He was sleeping outside on his porch with his hammock suspended from two columns on the front of the house. This was during the period that we hit -10 or -15 below zero, not counting the wind chill. I have to admit, I was intrigued, in a sick sort of way.

I checked out Minneopa State Park last week and Big Woods State Park yesterday. One good thing about home--we seem to have some prime hanging real estate.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Dear Campdavid,

Thanks for your advice! I've been seeing a lot about 11' hammocks, and it's congruent with exactly what you're saying. I like the idea of double layer because if I do decide a pad is a better option for me, it would be nice to have a hammock that will accommodate either. I can sew, so I might look to see if there are any DIY instructions on tarps, quilts and underquilts. I love the BWCA, and after this summer, I definitely see the value in a bug net.

One of the dumbest things I've ever done, aside from getting married the first time, was to hike to the top of Eagle Mountain. It's a gorgeous hike, but what made it dumb was that I hiked alone without telling anyone where I was going, had shorts and a t shirt on without any bug spray, took only a 1.5 liter Camelback bottle, and a couple of protein bars. No shelter, nothing to cover up with, no fire starting materials if I needed it, not much to eat of drink, and no map. When I kayak, I'm loaded to the gills with gear, so this was rather ironic.

I'm glad you research everything! I do, too. I wish I could find Shug Emery's hillbilly pot.

Thank you again for your help. I'm headed to Ely, MN next weekend. Should be a great time to be there.

Have a great afternoon,

Karla

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the advice and links! I didn't know that about Tyvek! I'm going to have to check out some of the online fabric vendors. I'd like to find Gore Tex and neoprene, too. Sewing a couple bags might be a good winter project.

I like that you're a hammock nut job!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    Karla, welcome to the group. There is a lot of advice out there, some of it good, some of it not so great. Do what's right for you. If you have the chance, find a group hand nearby and go try out some stuff. If you ask, most people are quick to brag about the cottage vendor that they prefer, and will gladly let you try their stuff out to help promote what they like.

I'm no Shug, but I have put together a Hammock How-to series that might be another piece of information for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUfS...5g39hV0aaMEt7_

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Hope to see you at the December Da Shack Hang in central WI.
    See the Midwest Hangouts, Camp-outs, Trip Planning section of the forums.
    look for Da Shack posts...
    T

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast