Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images

Testing the fit of Bridge Specific UQ's on the Towns End Luxury Bridge

Hey guys! Just want to start by saying I am in no way a genius, or otherwise inclined to the gift of exceptional smarts. I'm a run of the mill guy enjoying my Hammocks one hang at a time at home and in the woods. I just received a Towns End Luxury Bridge from Just Bill and wanted to check out to see if my Bridge specific Quilts might work. I currently have a UGQ Outdoors Ambush (10 degrees), and an Arrowhead Equipment RidgeCreek XL (3 Season). Here's what I've got so far...

This is how it came and what everything looked like unpacked and ready to go!
    IMG_3939.jpgIMG_3940.jpgIMG_3941.jpg

He had it set up in his shop, so Hanging it was no problem. I quickly realized that there is no need to hang the foot End higher. At least for me.
    IMG_3942.jpg

I had a few head scratching tries as I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the sag.
    IMG_3943.jpg

What I've done for the time being seems to work as I continue to scratch my head and ponder if I'm happy or if it needs another tweak.
    IMG_3950.jpgIMG_3949.jpgIMG_3948.jpgIMG_3945.jpgIMG_3947.jpg

I ended up with 4 sections of shock Cord. The two at the head End are a bit longer. I made a prussics knot on the dog bones, and made a loop on the other. At the head End, I wrapped it around the end of the spreader bars, then clipped the biners on to the loop. At the foot end, I clipped the biners to the loops and the dogbone itself. And this is what I'm working with right now...
    IMG_3951.jpgIMG_3958.jpgIMG_3953.jpgIMG_3952.jpg

The bridge is wider than the quilt, but that hasn't been a big deal so far. It seems nice and warm, and I'll need a couple of overnights to make sure there are no pesky drafts. When my lovely assistant (the wife) gets home I'll try to get some pics with it loaded and check for any gaps I may be missing. Anyhow, so far so good, I'll also give the AHE a try and get some pics of it as well.

Sorry for the sideways photos. As stated before, not the most intellectually inclined fellow here.
    Last edited by Peppy; 09-22-2017 at 06:41.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Look at that artwork

Trying to see what you got going... but guessing with your home rig set up for GE your suspension anchors are probably higher than needed since the bridge pitches a bit shallower (like a 20* vs a 30*)

Probably the main source of the sag...

What might be best is to just fix one side tight to the wall in that room if you're running out of length and then adjust a little on one side only. That's what some of the other indoor guys do.
    This is pretty common with indoor rigs and fixed eyes in the wall so you're not alone. Eventually most end up redoing things a bit.

What little I can see of the foot end strap is indicating you don't have enough tension across the room.

If the room itself is getting tight- shorten the ARL. It will make the bridge a bit softer- but still be better than a loose pitch.

Basically the goal is to pull the ARL tight side to side for tension.

Once tension is good... it's a matter of up or down as you prefer.

Start dead level and see how you lay. At your weight the answer is probably just fine, lol.
    But guys like me who are a little barrel chested tend to want the head end a bit higher to balance, especially if you are belly or side sleeping up near the top bar.

The only real way to learn how you like it is to use it... after you get over trying stuff out you couldn't do before... most settle into a sweet spot they like. From there you may find yourself creeping towards one side or the other as the night goes on or when you wake up. So just raise the side you slide to up an inch and go again. After a dozen nights you find sweet and level for you... that gives you a good base for heading to the field with it.

Only comment on the quilt thus far... unless you're sleeping down in the foot end... I'd skip the wrap around the pole thing at the head and do the foot setup you have on each end.
    That will let you slide head to foot a bit easier. If it's drooping to much at the head when loaded then you might need to go up to the RL with the head side.

Looking good- you're doing great with it. The biggest struggle for the indoor rigs are usually fixed eyebolts so options are limited and that can get frustrating for sure.
    If in doubt- tighten it up. The RL will prevent you from overtightening anything so don't be shy about tugging on the tree side. (wall to biner)

And don't worry if the prussic's are pinching the end of the bridge a bit... the far sides are not anchored to the amsteel in any way so if you need to push or gather them towards the center a little you can do that.
    The closer you are to the bridge body the wider the quilt will be.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I think in warm weather (it was over 100 with the heat index today) not wrapping it to the bars is the way to go. It leave a slight gap at the head End that gives a little vent. I'm finding without the wrap, I can't seem to get the quilt to seal good. Oh well, testing is how we figure it out!
    Last edited by Peppy; 09-21-2017 at 19:50.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    A couple more pics here. Made a couple of tweaks, and with the wife and Grandson, it is sealed off very well!
    IMG_3962.jpgIMG_3969.jpgIMG_3968.jpgIMG_3961.jpg

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    As Bill knows, I went through quite a few indoor configurations, finally ending up with unistrut at each end. This allows for vertical eyebolt adjustments and as far as I'm concerned an indespensible help in fine tuning. Can save you a LOT of time and frustration. All that said, these are big guy hammocks and I don't qualify as a big guy, so I probably had to go through greater variations as my body doesn't fit the hammock as it was designed.

Eventually I wound up with the head end 12" higher than the foot. I suspect larger folks may not have to.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Nice- it is exceptionally good for piling kids in, lol.
    Unless you are Mommy trying to catch a nap and your daughter likes to walk on Mommy in the bridge!

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    IMG_3971.jpg
    Not the best pic, but this is with the Arrowhead Equipment RidgeCreek XL. Also tried a JRB multifunction quilt (Shenandoah) and it fit well.
    Last edited by Peppy; 09-22-2017 at 10:18.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    What quilts are everyone else using, and how are they working out?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    What quilts are everyone else using, and how are they working out?
    Back when i was using a bridge hammock I found all my Wilderness Logic UQ fit perfectly.

Images
    Me and my other bridge sleeping friends just use regular uq's and they fit perfectly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast