Wilderness Logics Snipe
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Quest Tarp

Just pulled the trigger on a 12' Quest Tarp in Dark Olive. And the wait begins... Anyone have any experience with this tarp?
    The final weapon is the mind. All else is supplemental.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Quest Tarp

I just noticed that hammock gear offered this tarp. I'd be curious to know too

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    I have the Quest Tarp. I like it, I like it a lot. I believe it is constructed the same way as Dutchware's Xenon Hex tarp. The reason why I bought the Quest is because it was offered in a 12' ridge line AND it was cheaper than the Xenon Hex tarp (which is only available in 11'). At the time of my purchase the color selections were limited so I opted for Coyote Brown. My tarp is 14.38 ounces in the stuff sack, but it also include a Dutchware CRL and 4 fleaz with shock cord at each tie out.
    The tarp has held up great in downpours and heavy winds. Upon receiving the tarp I contacted HG to find out if seam sealing would be necessary; which it is not. Along the ridgeline it is sewn folded over so sealing is not required. I haven't had any issues with the plastic rings and tie out points on the tarp. Each tie out is reinforced with grosgrain and haven't suffered any damage in high winds. Of course the sewing is top notch (as is with all HG products). The silpoly is great and does not sag as much as the silnylon that I have with my Wilderness Logics Tadpole Tarp. When compared to my Tadpole, I am able to hang the Quest under my CRL much better than with the Tadpole. The Tadpole would sag a lot whenever it got wet so I need to hang it OVER the CRL to give it extra stability. This is not necessary with the Quest.
    I have recently moved my tarp into a tarp skin (also from Hammock Gear). So far, so good. I have the mesh one and it slides on and off easily.
    When I ordered my tarp I placed my order on Sunday and it arrived the following Monday. I can't say that everyone will have a quick turn around for their tarp, but I have yet to wait a long time for any non customized gear from them.
    I hope you enjoy your tarp, and that it's worth the wait. I might purchase another one in the Moroccan blue (it has recently become available to order). The tarp is a great value, and if you are looking for something "lightweight" but not as light (or as expensive) as Cuban Fiber, this is the tarp to get.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    HQ Incub. 20
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    I've been looking at the Quest myself for a few weeks. I pulled the trigger on it this morning. Swapping it into my pack for my ENO ProFly XL should save me about a pound and a half of weight.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverat View Post
    Just pulled the trigger on a 12' Quest Tarp in Dark Olive. And the wait begins... Anyone have any experience with this tarp?
    Did you get your tarp yet? What's your opinion

Hammock
    DIY 10.5 Hexon 1.6 w/ net
    Tarp
    Dutchware Xenon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/Costco UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    I saw they were on sale last week as well. Mine shipped really quick. I ordered on Friday and I should receive it tomorrow, so the tracking says.

Hammock
    Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Buro/Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware whoopie
    I just got one that i ordered with custom lineloc 3's instead of beastie rings. Its a great tarp and i highly recommend it.

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'
    No experience with anything but the WB Superfly but I'm curious . . .

Your profile says you have the SF. Why did you switch?

Hammock
    HH Expl UL, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Beetles n straps
    I just received mine, it's the 12' version, Fabulous construction and it is huge. Replaced my HH asym hex with it(which is already a big tarp).
    it is larger, lighter and packs smaller.
    Definite bang for the buck.
    Nec Aspera Terrent
    Lightfighter

Quote Originally Posted by arcana73 View Post
    Upon receiving the tarp I contacted HG to find out if seam sealing would be necessary; which it is not. Along the ridgeline it is sewn folded over so sealing is not required.
    I realize this is quoting an old post but it's exactly on point for what I have just experienced. I have the Quest and set up hammock and sleeping gear under it last night in my yard for testing. It's rained lightly but steadily on the tarp for going on 8-9 hours and the center seam is leaking pretty badly. I want to emphasize that this is not hard rain or blowing wind but a very light steady rain for hours and my hammock has a line of soaking wetness directly under the center seam from end to end.

Assuming I need to seam seal it but I don't know what to use for the Xenon fabric. Is Silnet the proper choice? Anybody have any experience seam sealing a Quest? I roamed around the HG website and read the FAQ but didn't see anything directly related to seam sealing the Quest so any advice is helpful.

Thanks.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast