Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My experience is very much like that of c736445 above. In what way does it diminish community feeling when two people freely agree to a transaction? Why should that worry anyone? Buying and selling that way is part of what makes a community imho.
    Sam

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The "minimum of 50 posts" requirement for sellers has often shown how unscrupulous sellers can be - I can't count the number of times I've seen someone run up their post count in a day or two just so they can sell something.

An unscrupulous buyer? Never heard of it. I'm not in favor of a "minimum of 50 posts" requirement for buyers. This just seems a way to give an advantage to people with a "minimum of 50 posts" so they will have a better chance of snagging For Sale items before people with less than 50 posts jump on it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    This is coming from someone with strong "lurking" tendencies. Initially I only joined this forum because that was the only way to see pictures posted on here that showed up in my google searches. I only stick around and contribute because I've found it a well monitored and on topic forum unlike all the other's I've stumbled across.

I perceive that the goal here is to encourage participation in the forum, adding to the general knowledge base. I don't want to see someone just sign up for the sake of having a another convenient place to pawn their stuff so the 50 post limit makes sense. Being able to recuperate some cost of unwanted gear, especially hammock related, is a big benefit. Limiting selling gear to an exclusive group of contributors has too much of a cliquey ring to it. Let the "lurkers" and "newbs" have a chance at the good deals. It may help draw them out or at least get them hanging in better gear than they would otherwise. There's no way to tell a first-post-buyer's intentions, they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I'm for keeping it status quo - 50 for the seller, no limit for buyers, and give me first right of refusal.

Hammock
    Dutchware, BearButt
    Tarp
    WB-SF, KC-Batwing
    Insulation
    PLUQ,AHE-NR,WL-BWK
    Suspension
    Various
    I'm also a newbie here and my original reason to sign up was to see the pictures. There aren't many threads that I feel moved to comment upon and I have been able to take advantage of a FS item to upgrade my gear. Maybe I'm unusual in that I've gotten bitten by the bug and I've already made a number of DutchWare purchases.
    I log into these forums every day and the first place I check is the FS forums. I then check for new posts elsewhere. I'd likely still be at only 1 or 2 posts if I didn't have this habit (granted, I'm still under a dozen).
    I'm for keeping it the way it is.

Dave

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG cf w/ doors 12'
    Insulation
    EE TQ
    Suspension
    WB buckles
    I like the rule as is. I appreciate that HF has guidelines that give at least some sense of community and thus some trust and credibility. Craigslist and ebay are available for those who want a quick transaction without all the love and camaraderie.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I like it the way it is ,but also like the idea of a donating member only for FS sub forum. Maybe allow a broader range of items to be sold there, but still keep to the camping/hiking/hanging theme so it doesn't turn into Craigslist. That might encourage more to donate.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    WB BBXLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    HGB20+WBWW/HGP30
    Suspension
    Web
    As another lurker I would not like it if a post requirement were added for buying. I tend to post only when I feel I have something special to contribute. I am not inclined to add to the noise that I go to the wilderness to avoid.

As of yet, I have never purchased anything from the forum, and I am certain I could get my count up to 50 easily if that were my goal, so the rule really wouldn't affect me. However, I do not feel that membership time or posts to the forum should entitle anyone to preferred treatment. If anything, I believe the forum should try to encourage newcomers.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Mine says 300+, but it's easily 3x that. I've been pretty active on the forums for a bit, and noticed it doesn't always count anyway. Having said that, I see no harm in how it's set up now. Sellers don't ship until payment is made, so no worries there. But it's nice to know that those selling have put effort into participating. I've sure enjoyed a boatload of gear to get me where I'm at now!
    Last edited by Peppy; 09-21-2017 at 20:53.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I experienced the opposite as you, and got frustrated when very knowledgeable people with 50 hammocks and quilts were scooping up the good deals, while I had to research if it was a good deal or not first, because I was a newbie. Was not fair!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast