Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    SSUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Sorry I have been MIA for a bit. I decided to hike through the Foothills trail. During this, I tried a few more techniques. Body position that Miquel stated, sleeping in the opposite position then I am used too, Flipped the hammock inside out, sliding deeper to the foot box or towards the head box, ridgeline, etc. While some where better then others, nothing truly got rid of the calf ridge.

I am doing a 3 day through hike next saturday on part of the App trail. I will try some of these adjustments and fine tune them based on the advice you all have provided and see what happens.

Thanks for being a great community and providing great advice. One way or another, this is going to get resolved.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DH, DIY, GT Hybrid
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    You might also try varying the ridge line a bit. You may find the magic 83% isn't for you? I just cant believe that hammock is too small, but who knows? I do hope you get it worked out.

Hammock
    trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneSquatchin View Post
    I love my lite owl hammock, however, no matter how I hang it I get a Nasty calf ridge. I have tried tightening it, loosening it, all of Shuggs ideas on his channel and nothing seems to rid this nasty bugger. I am looking for any ideas to help out with this. thank you.
    What kind of loop is on the gathered end? I've found that changing how that loop goes through the end can alter the calf ridge. I usually send the loop through the gathered end twice. You can also wrap it around the outside a couple wraps and pull some fabric in from the sides to alter the lay a little.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    Hi, mates. Could you please tell me what means calf ridge? Is it a pain on feet or something?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfed View Post
    Hi, mates. Could you please tell me what means calf ridge? Is it a pain on feet or something?
    It's the uncomfortable tight ridges of fabric under your knee created on gathered end hammocks. Check out Shug's video for an explanation and ways to prevent/reduce it:

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    Thank you very much!

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    SSUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by tangara View Post
    What kind of loop is on the gathered end? I've found that changing how that loop goes through the end can alter the calf ridge. I usually send the loop through the gathered end twice. You can also wrap it around the outside a couple wraps and pull some fabric in from the sides to alter the lay a little.
    Can you elaborate on this. I understand what youre saying, but the logistical concept of it is going over my head for some reason.

Hammock
    trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneSquatchin View Post
    Can you elaborate on this. I understand what youre saying, but the logistical concept of it is going over my head for some reason.
    Sorry, it was hard to explain. On some of my hammocks, I've taken the continuous loop, threaded it through the channel at the end of the hammock, then threaded it through again and out to the other side. This will cinch up the gathered end a little bit more than just threading it through once. It's even a little different (not much though) from running the loop through and then pulling the end of the loop through itself to cinch the channel.

If the continuous loop is long enough, you can either wrap both ends back around on the outside of the hammock and back to the start. Then you can pull some of the side fabric from the hammock up into the wrap. Depending on how much and where you pull up on this fabric, you can change where the ridges appear when you lay in the hammock.

If you search youtube for some videos of making a tablecloth hammock with folded ends, you might get a better idea of how people are adjusting fabric into the end of the hammock.

I don't have a way to send a picture of what I mean. Sorry, not at home.

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    SSUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Okay, that makes much more since. I will youtube it and do that. Thank you.

Images
    The major thing affecting affecting how the ridges emanating from the gathered end propagate.... is your butt!
    Strategic placing of the said butt changes the shape of those ridges quite dramatically. It is well documented that getting your derrieré closer to the head end (by hanging the foot end higher) give the ridges more room to dissapate.

What also makes a BIG difference, is where you place your gluteus maximi, from left to right.
    If you are plagued by the ridges, try scooting yourself a little over to the left or right, until you find what works for you.
    It can sometimes only take a very small movement to make a big difference.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123