Looking to upgrade suspension

I have a grand trunk double hammock. I diy'd a fronkey bugnet and a costco down blanket underquilt. I also use a snug pack hammock quilt. It was all very affordable and a pretty good setup. I'm looking now to shed some weight. I think I'll pickup another costco blanket and a make a top quilt out of that. My current suspension is a set of 15' 1" webbing that I clip my stock carabiners into with a marlin spike hitch. I think I could shed some weight by replacing my suspension. I've check out different options. I'd like something that is adjustable so I don't have to re-tie the knot to adjust it. There are so many choices and options from Dutch and other for each suspension, I don't know where to start. I'd like to keep the budget reasonable.

Images
    Suspension is one of those things. Just gotta choose what you like the most. Probably the lightest option would have to be some small string and a becket hitch, but you said no knots. I'm quite fond of my UCR's. Been using them for several years now quite happily. For speed, easy adjustments, and weight, it's a real winner. I use a Dutchware whoopie hook to attach it to the hammock. Only problem is I don't think anyone sells them, you'll have to splice your own set, but it's really simple, almost idiot proof.
    You'll just have to find what's right for you.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...cing-tutorials
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I love my tree strap/toggle/marlinspike/whoopie sling suspension.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

My daughters have Grand trunks, since they have those cool patterns they liked. Those stock carabiners are super heavy so I'd start there. The ropes are super bulky too.

For simplicity I like the warbonnet buckles which are pretty light and easy to adjust. For 10 bucks you can get those already on CL's, thread those through the channels and since you already have straps be good to go. Light and compact.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    The simplest upgrade would be to replace the carabiner with any old stick you find on the ground (if a stick isn't bling enough, buy a fancy titanium stick: https://dutchwaregear.com/titanium-toggles.html ). Losing that big heavy carabiner is the best bang you'll get for your buck, and in this case you don't need to spend any bucks cos sticks are free. See the first Shug video above for using a marlin spike hitch with a stick (he has a fancy stick, but any old solid stick will do).

If you want to take the upgrade further, here's two options:

1. Replace the cords at the ends of your hammock with continuous loops made of 7/64 amsteel: https://dutchwaregear.com/amsteel-continuous-loops.html
    These will be lighter and less bulky than the stock cords on the Grand Trunk, but otherwise exactly the same.

2. Replace the cords at the ends of your hammock with 7/64 amsteel whoopie slings: https://dutchwaregear.com/amsteel-whoopie-slings.html
    These will allow you to adjust the length of your suspension without having to retie your marlin spike hitch.

Good luck!

Thank you all! I think I will replace the cords with whoopie slings. Great advise all!

• + New Posts