Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Hammocker looking for gear advice :)

Hello everyone! I just joined the forum and thought I would make my first post. I love the outdoors and have been going on short camping/backpacking outings for a few years. I was looking at 1 person tents, but have decided in getting my first hammock instead! What appeals to me about hammock camping is lighter carry weight and increased sleeping comfort.

I'll mainly be camping in SW Ohio. I'm 5'6" and 150 lbs.

I have a $100 REI gift card that I'd like to use on hammock gear, which has become tougher as I've discovered more of the cottage dealers. I would like to get a hammock, rain fly, and suspension system using the gift card and maybe another $100-$150 cash. I know I'll need a UQ for non-summer camping, but I think I'll get one later (I have a sleeping pad I can use in a pinch, which I know isn't ideal at all, but I want to go ahead and get what I need to start hammock camping).

Some gear that I've considered at prices I've found it for new or lightly used:

ENO singlenest ($41 new)
    ENO doublenest ($45 new)
    Hennessy Explorer ($75 like-new)
    Warbonnet Traveler ($90 new)
    ENO Pro Fly ($69 new)
    ENO Helios ($35 new)
    Dutch buckle suspension system($40 new)

I was thinking about getting the ENO Pro Fly from REI and possibly the Helios suspension system (though I'd rather get the dutchware) and find a hammock elsewhere. I like the looks of the ENO single or doublenest, but have heard there are much better/more comfortable hammocks out there. I don't need an integrated bug net, I figure I can get one later if needed. I like the idea of a double layer hammock that I can put my pad in, but Im sure I'll get a UQ later on if I really like hammock camping (which I'm sure I will ), so maybe the double layer isn't necessary. If I'm buying a hammock by itself I'd like to keep it around $100 or less.

Sorry, I know that was long and meandering! Any advice on gear that you guys can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Dan

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    My only advice would be to buy once cry once. With hammocks you typically get what you pay for and the longer the hammock the more comfortable. Good luck and welcome to the forums.

Images
    For weight and price, Dutchware's netless hammock is a great bargain. It's what I sleep in. I'd recommend getting the double knotty mod option. You can add a bugnet to it later. ANything under about 75*F, and your going to need your pad or an uq, so keep that in mind.

https://dutchwaregear.com/11ft-netless.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG CF Std
    Insulation
    Mamba TQ/Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    I'll second trailslug's advice. A Warbonnet XLC double layer is around 200$, your pad will fit easily, a sleeping bag for a top quilt will be just fine, and a plain old blue tarp from wallyworld will do for starters. Then as funds become available you can add pieces.

**And you'll be sleeping in one of the best hammocks out there.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heydad! View Post
    I'll second trailslug's advice. A Warbonnet XLC double layer is around 200$, your pad will fit easily, a sleeping bag for a top quilt will be just fine, and a plain old blue tarp from wallyworld will do for starters. Then as funds become available you can add pieces.

True!

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL Summer/ Winter
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    Buy once, cry once is how I roll too. I suggest not going into this as looking to upgrade gear after a few trips. In reality with a hammock, tarp, top and bottom quilts and a bug net you actually can weigh more than a lot of lightweight and super lightweight tents, but I also believe in hang your hang and as long as you're comfortable and happy that's all that matters. Be sure to watch all, and I mean all of Shug Emerys (THE Godfather of Hammock Camping) hammock videos to learn all the basic in's and out's and intricacies of this trip you're about to embark on. Good luck!
    Formerly McBlaster
    The Tent is a Lie

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heydad! View Post

That's a bit heavy for someone who backpacks and is looking for a lighter shelter option.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    That's a bit heavy for someone who backpacks and is looking for a lighter shelter option.
    Huh? Only for gram weenies. This hammock is a lot lighter than my go to Warbonnet Ridgerunner and It goes on all my back packing trips.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by McBlaster View Post
    Buy once, cry once is how I roll too. I suggest not going into this as looking to upgrade gear after a few trips. In reality with a hammock, tarp, top and bottom quilts and a bug net you actually weigh more than a lot of lightweight and super lightweight tents, but I also believe in hang your hang and as long as you're comfortable and happy that's all that matters. Be sure to watch all, and I mean all of Shug Emerys (THE Godfather of Hammock Camping) hammock videos to learn all the basic in's and out's and intricacies of this trip you're about to embark on. Good luck!
    A lightweight hammock setup is pretty similar to a lightweight tent and pad. What your thinking of is the guys that just sleep with a small tarp and a ground sheet and those tiny 1/8" torso pads. That's the lightest setup you can get, but a bit too rough for me. Hammocks are just more comfortable so most people don't care about small weight differences.

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If the lighter weight appeals to you then go with the cottage vendors and spend a little more on everything. The ENO stuff is overpriced IMO for what it is. For only a little more you can get better gear from cottage manufacturer. I am glad I realized that before I bought everything.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast