Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by durunner View Post
    If the lighter weight appeals to you then go with the cottage vendors and spend a little more on everything. The ENO stuff is overpriced IMO for what it is. For only a little more you can get better gear from cottage manufacturer. I am glad I realized that before I bought everything.
    Excellent advice but be careful as some have already bashed us for ENO hating.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Huh? Only for gram weenies. This hammock is a lot lighter than my go to Warbonnet Ridgerunner and It goes on all my back packing trips.
    My netless is only 8oz with stuff sack. Only need a net for two months out of the year, and even my add on net only weighs 7oz I think. With my 2oz suspension, that's almost a full pound lighter, half the weight. As my backpacking trips have become longer and further, I've come to appreciate the value of shaving off pounds off my back. Plus, it's only $50 vs. $200. So for a starter hammock, I don't think one could go wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL Summer/ Winter
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    A lightweight hammock setup is pretty similar to a lightweight tent and pad. What your thinking of is the guys that just sleep with a small tarp and a ground sheet and those tiny 1/8" torso pads. That's the lightest setup you can get, but a bit too rough for me. Hammocks are just more comfortable so most people don't care about small weight differences.
    I completely agree, but as someone who's 6'3 and currently pushing 260 my gear weights slightly more. I'm currently at 7.75 pounds and that's just my Hammock,
    Tarp and Quilts and everything necessary to pitch everything. I know theres lighter options but it is what it is for me, right now. Even i'll have to upgrade a few things eventually. https://lighterpack.com/r/frrysx
    Formerly McBlaster
    The Tent is a Lie

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by McBlaster View Post
    I completely agree, but as someone who's 6'3 and currently pushing 260 my gear weights slightly more. I'm currently at 7.75 pounds and that's just my Hammock,
    Tarp and Quilts and everything necessary to pitch everything. I know theres lighter options but it is what it is for me, right now. Even i'll have to upgrade a few things eventually. https://lighterpack.com/r/frrysx

You should have seen my old setup. Oof, it was heavy. I've been really getting into hiking more and more so I've been trimming down. Not quite UL yet, but I'm much happier than I used to be. Oh that heavy pack was so awful... Here's my current summer set up https://lighterpack.com/r/38t5vp
    and my 20* setup https://lighterpack.com/r/8u4wm7
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL Summer/ Winter
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    Nice, i'm still working on replacing my pack, that'll shed 2 pounds immediately. I'm aware of exactly what I need to do, for me, but I have a UL mindset and plan all future purchases based on that. Your current summer set up is solid, here's my current 3 season list and it's really not too bad, https://lighterpack.com/r/eqoq0y
    Formerly McBlaster
    The Tent is a Lie

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I would get my hammock gear mostly from the cottage vendors and use the REI gift card for other stuff. Hammocks and hammock equipment are not exactly a forte of the big retailers. You'll get better quality for less money elsewhere.

If you have no experience with hammocks whatsoever, get a netless hammock to test the waters. If you want to buy two, get two different ones. If you need bug protection, get a net sock. Provided it's long enough, it will work with many different netless hammocks. You can always get a hammock with an integrated mosquito net later on, when you know what you like and don't like.

By the way, Traveler hammocks can be had starting from $60 new if you buy directly from Warbonnet. I can recommend the Single Layer 1.7 Traveler XL with Webbing/Buckle (one of the most userfriendly suspensions on the market) for $65.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    My only advice would be to buy once cry once. With hammocks you typically get what you pay for and the longer the hammock the more comfortable. Good luck and welcome to the forums.
    This!

You can use the REI funds for a tarp or all other kinds of stuff but it all starts with the right hammock. And Dutch makes the right hammock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock- 10' Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I would get my hammock gear mostly from the cottage vendors and use the REI gift card for other stuff. Hammocks and hammock equipment are not exactly a forte of the big retailers. You'll get better quality for less money elsewhere.

If you have no experience with hammocks whatsoever, get a netless hammock to test the waters. If you want to buy two, get two different ones. If you need bug protection, get a net sock. Provided it's long enough, it will work with many different netless hammocks. You can always get a hammock with an integrated mosquito net later on, when you know what you like and don't like.

By the way, Traveler hammocks can be had starting from $60 new if you buy directly from Warbonnet. I can recommend the Single Layer 1.7 Traveler XL with Webbing/Buckle (one of the most userfriendly suspensions on the market) for $65.
    Yepper sounds like the best advice I could give also well said.
    If you don't like today,,you are gonna hate tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I would get my hammock gear mostly from the cottage vendors and use the REI gift card for other stuff.
    I second this advice.

Given that you're only 5'6", a Hennessey Expedition package should fit you well. It's not the lightest hammock in the world, but it is a solid system. And I do mean system. if you buy from hennessey, you'll get the hammock, integrated bug net and a tarp for well under $200. Add your pad to keep you warm and you're on the way. Later you get an underquilt. use the REI card for other stuff like water filters or a pack or whatever.

If you want a more modular approach, any of the vendors are excellent. Besides those already mentioned, AHE has beginner kits that might suit you.

Good luck with the coming gear addiction. At this point I've got four hammocks and keep finding others I want just because....
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12