HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Question Coughlans H20 based seam sealer, thoughts?

Last winter when I got my OMW I had a few nights where it leaked pretty bad along the RL and the panel pulls. So I went to the only place around, Walmart, and picked up the only seam sealer they had in the "camping" section : Coughlans. It comes in a smallish bottle with a sponge on top to spread out the semi-liquid sealer. I followed the directions, but doing it upside down while the tarp was pitched made getting it spread evenly across the RL a bit difficult. But I did the best I could, put it on the backs of the panel pulls and let it dry. After that, I didn't have any super hard rain before I stopped using it for the summer. I got it back out again a few times over the summer but never anything more than a light drizzle, and it held up fine with no leakage.

Fast forward to last week..... I set it up like normal when im expecting rain,RL over tarp , and during the night it stormed really hard with blowing rain. As I laid there listening to it, I felt small splashes on my face and arms from inside my XLC w/ the net on. I got out and turned my light on to find the RL dripping onto the bug net as well as the panel pull by my head. I checked, and it wasn't flowing in from the outside, it was leaking. Bad. So, I tore down and headed inside. Today, I got it back out ,pitched it like normal and resealed it. I put 2 even coats on this time, making sure to get not only the stitching holes but the edge of the seam too, and did the same for the pulls.

So, other than using better sealer or taping it, is there anything else I can do? Has anyone else used this sealer? I think I just didn't do a thorough job the first time..... I hope. I think ive got it sealed up good now but I'm a little uneasy..... Thoughts??
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I picked up the needed supplies from WalMart for this method that was recommended by several.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAn44hH6bd4

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If your tarp is silnylon make sure your using seam sealer made for that material like Sil-Net or make your own.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...aling+silnylon
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Thanks guys. It just started to rain a little so we'll see if I did it right this time lol. I went out and went over it one more time with a light coat making sure the edges of the seams were wet . The panel pulls were kinda tricky since on one side of the tarp there are loops on the inside for tying your hammock back out of the way. I just went over it the best I could and tried to get it on all of seams and edges. I think I did a better job this time. But if it doesn't work then I'll just redo it the way you guys did. I'll leave it up all night to dry and tomorrow ill hit it with the hose to see if it worked or not.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I use a small brush and apply just enough to cover the seam. Do not overdo it. Easy to do.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Yeah I can def see how easy it would be to put too much on. I went out this morning and it looks pretty good so I think I got it this time. I opened it up wide since it was pitched tight to dry over night because of the light rain that moved through. Once I get home later I'll check to make sure it didn't get too thick in certain areas and crack or peel. But giving it a quick once over this morning looked nice and even. Thanks for all the tips guys, if it doesn't turn out right then I'll def be taking everyone's advice. I'll post a few pics later if I can too.

Hammock
    DIY 10'6'' 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    Noah 9 (for now)
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing & buckles
    If the sealant is water-based, it will dissolve in water...

Kind of find it hard to believe that anyone would make a water-based adhesive and call it a seam sealant.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    ***UPDATE*** After applying this product per the directions and letting it hang outside for 24hrs to completely dry & cure, I took it down , folded it up and put it in its stuffsack. The next day when I hung it again I noticed that 75% of it had started to flake ,peel and was stuck to itself along most of the RL, and most of the 4 panel pulls inside. I should have used a better product, but oh well, now I know and with this post hopefully it will keep someone else from using it as well. So now I have the fun job of getting it all off then redoing it with something better.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    That does not sound like fun. Sorry buddy. If I could, I would bring a couple (several?) drinks over and help you out.

Hammock
    DIY 10' Robic 1.2
    Tarp
    Gorilla Fortress
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 Incu
    Suspension
    Straps w rings
    Images
    So Chesapeake. After hanging with you and seeing your seam sealing issue. Also knowing I will need to seam seal my new 12' winter tarp. I went and looked at some of the videos that came up in the search Shug had done. I already have some mineral spirits, and I probably have a full size tube of clear silicone for bathrooms and such. I am going to take a look at if the mineral spirits I have are "odorless" if so, next time I am up and hanging with you at the beach we can have a seam sealing party. Sounds like such fun. Only a slight bit of sarcasm there. I'll bring half smokes as well.
    Lucky me, lucky mud. - Kurt Vonnegut.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast