Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Planning first hang... needing TQ advice

I picked up a Hennessy UL Explorer Deluxe this week, and have gone with a Snugpak UQ based on price and some forum opinions that it's not completely incompatible with the bottom entry of the HH. I live in Florida, and will probably be doing most of my near-term camping around here... but I grew up in the North Maine Woods and am completely comfortable with cooler temps.

This weekend, I'm making an impromptu trip back home and it's the perfect opportunity to test out my gear. Given what I have for a hammock and UQ, what guidance can you good people give a hammock noobie on a TQ appropriate for about 50-degree temps?

I have a sleeping bag I know will be just fine, but it's also pretty bulky. I also have one of the 60" X 70" Double Black Diamond down throws that I could use as is or modify as well. (As a bonus, my HH, UQ, and the throw would all fit in a small pack.) My plan was to try the Gemini DIY system, but realistically I'll never need "winter" mode. Would I be OK just modding this throw with some KAM snaps to make an UQ with a footbox? Before I get some hang time, I don't want to put more money into a setup I'm not sure is right for me.

TL;DR: mod this throw, play it safe and bring the big sleeping bag, or do something else entirely?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    You didn't mention if you are car camping or hiking but if car camping then take that sleeping bag as well as the throw. Anything to keep warm.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    No sure how tall you are but I would look at making a foot box in the Double Black Diamond down quilt and us that as your TQ. This will be great when you are in Florida as well. I use one of the Double Black Diamonds down to 40 degrees with no problem.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    Just to make a note: I had bought an extra one and added approximately 3 rows of down plus 4 squares to make the box. Then after attached I sewed up the end about 24 inches to make the box end.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    You didn't mention if you are car camping or hiking but if car camping then take that sleeping bag as well as the throw. Anything to keep warm.
    Well, I'm... plane camping? Flying commercial to Portland, Maine, & back. No hiking is involved, but I will probably end up checking my gear as it will include some stabby/non-TSA friendly items. Aside from that, I like to travel light when possible. I will take the bag if needed, but if I can be convinced I don't need it, I'll leave it home.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoefor2 View Post
    No sure how tall you are but I would look at making a foot box in the Double Black Diamond down quilt and us that as your TQ. This will be great when you are in Florida as well. I use one of the Double Black Diamonds down to 40 degrees with no problem.
    This is great input, thank you. I'm 6'1" & slim. I'll work on modding that quilt, then. :thumbsup:

Just to make a note: I had bought an extra one and added approximately 3 rows of down plus 4 squares to make the box. Then after attached I sewed up the end about 24 inches to make the box end.
    That sounds great, but everything I know about sewing can be crammed through the eye of a needle (that's small... right?).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    You are talking straight stitching using a basic machine. If not able then ask around work or church if there is anybody that can sew and see if they will do it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    You are talking straight stitching using a basic machine. If not able then ask around work or church if there is anybody that can sew and see if they will do it for you.
    As it happens, I pulled a seam out of that down throw while trying to remove the tag. I found an alterations shop near my office to repair it so I don't lose that 25 in3, give or take, of stuffing... a small operation but it looks like they'd be able to do just about anything I'd need. I'm going to tackle the KAMsnaps, but if my UQ needs an access slit down the road, or something, I guess I can take it there.
    Last edited by Snaps; 09-19-2017 at 17:24.

• + New Posts