DIY Daisy-Chain made from Amsteel - Dangerous non-sense or good to go with?

Dear Hammockers!

While playing around with some 7/64 Amsteel and a guitar string, insanity overwhelmed me and all of a sudden i held this in my hand:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...&thumb=1&stc=1

The open end i worked to a Diamond-Knot and called the whole thing FOXY-CHAIN.

The Foxy-Chain is basically a number of Brummel-locks in a row seperated by gaps of approx. 1 1/1nches, so that a Diamond-Knot can be pushed trough with ease, but doesn't slip back.
    After a little research i found that the swiss brand "Exped" purchases a similar item by the name of Slit Line. It's made from polyester and the gaps between the slits are way longer than on the Foxy Chain. For use with a hammock they offer a version with a toggle on one end.

Since i love suspension without any hardware i decided to give it a try - 'cause if it would work, i could even leave my Marlin-Spike at home:-)

So i grabbed my old hammock a pair of industrial slings and my Foxy-Chain and off i went........

worked out just the way i thougt from the first try: Easy to adjust, no loose ends hangin' around

to be able to use less than half a length of the Chain i tried this setup.....

..... it also reduces the force on the knot (weakest link)

Telling fellow forum-members from the german hammock-forums http://www.haengemattenforum.de/ about it, they really started developing some ideas, how to use and improve such a Foxy-Line and Mittagsfrost encouraged me to ask you guys on hammockforums.net wether anyone has built something similar yet, wether someone can share experiences with such or similar items (Exped Slit Line!) and what your general thoughts about the Foxy-Chain are.

Especially the use of carabiners with the chain seems to be a concern, since no one knows how much force a Brummel-lock will resist when a carabiner presses against it.

So here we go:

What do you think about the Foxy-Chain as a whole? Pros? Cons?

Has anyone ever clipped a carabiner through a loop with a Brummel-lock? (any wear and tear visible?)

Would you have other concerns (securitywise) using a Foxy-Chain?

For those who just grabbed some Amsteel to build such a thing:
    BE AWARE THAT SPLICING SOME 20 to 50 LOCKS CAN BRING YOU CLOSE TO MADNESS!!!

Thanks for your attention!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jmkoeln; 09-18-2017 at 08:01.

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    I made something similar to that. Locked brummrl loops in a daisy chain attached to a treestrap. Has worked well for my daughter so far. The carabiner slides off to the side of the loop when weight is on it so the pressure is not on the locked brummel. She doesn't use it very often but no signs of wear yet. In fact last time she was in it her brother was in the hammock with her with lots of swinging and squirming going on. A total weight of over 225lbs with no problems.
    I agree that many locked brummels can be very maddening!
    20161218_191708.jpg
    Last edited by kev138; 09-19-2017 at 06:39.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I too did the locked Brummel route in making a sorta amsteel DIY atlas straps.

It was for a gift hammock to a nephew, attached the daisy chain to dutch spiders on tree straps and like 4 feet of those daisy chains, then hammock with CL + carabiner....they have liked it so far, very adjustable.
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Sounds really good :-)
    Since your chain is technically the closest to what i've built - as far as i saw yet - your information really helps! ThX for that kev138!

Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    I too did the locked Brummel route in making a sorta amsteel DIY atlas straps.

It was for a gift hammock to a nephew, attached the daisy chain to dutch spiders on tree straps and like 4 feet of those daisy chains, then hammock with CL + carabiner....they have liked it so far, very adjustable.
    Do you know anything about the durability? Do you remember wether the carabiner was applying pressure on the knot or did it slip off the knot?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmkoeln View Post
    What do you think about the Foxy-Chain as a whole? Pros? Cons?
    PROS
    • Lighter than a daisychain strap

(possible) CONS
    • No lighter than a whoopie sling, more work and less finely adjustable
    • No weight rating (I will add it to my weight testing schedule, when I eventually have time at work)

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, DUTCHWARE, ETC...
    Tarp
    HG WP/Standard
    Insulation
    HG INCUBATOR/PHOEN
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch
    I made something very similar to this some time ago to experiment with. It worked just fine, however, after putting on a scale, there was very little weight difference between it and a regular whoopie sling and wasn't as finely adjustable as a standard whoopie.
    I hate it when people accuse me of lolly gagging when I'm clearly dilly dallying...

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    well...there is no "knot"...just those intersections where the locked brumels are.....the carabinder would hand away from that though sorta "in between" if that makes sense?

Whoopie sling is better...but I figured my far younger nephew may do better with that possibly...he was like 8 at that time....not sure how it is holding up regarding durability at this point.

I would have done just cinch buckles at that time if I had them, I was in a rush, and I had the webbing and the amsteel so I did that.

Regarding Gadget's comment of fine adjustability, the use of the dutch spider with it in my mind took care of that....

I far prefer whoopee slings overall though....after trying many things, I am a whoopee sling and MSH fan by far....but this little daisy chain seemed to work nicely.
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    (possible) CONS
    • No lighter than a whoopie sling, more work and less finely adjustable
    • No weight rating (I will add it to my weight testing schedule, when I eventually have time at work)
    similar items (such as soft shackles) have way higher weight ratings than a single Rope of amsteel (read here), so you either increase strength or you are able to save weight by using thinner rope (compared to whoopies).

The weakest point on those soft shackles tested, was always the knot. So the strength of a chain of Brummel-locks could be even higher!

A test would be a great thing!!!!
    Thank you in advance
    Last edited by jmkoeln; 09-22-2017 at 14:37.

• + New Posts