Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Question How (exactly) do Whoopie Sling connect to Tree Straps?

I'm confused about how whoopie slings are attached to Tree Snaps when you buy them as a complete system from Dutchware Gear.

I tried Looking at pictures and videos from https://dutchwaregear.com/whoopie-ho...uspension.html to understand better.

https://i0.wp.com/theultimatehang.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2012/04/whoopie-hooks.jpg

In other pictures and videos I see people using toggles to connect it to tree straps. How do you connect it like Dutch has in there Whoopie Hook Complete Suspension? If you bought a strap and a whoopie separately could you simply connect it with a knot the same as in Dutch's complete setup, or does that require slicing the webbing and sewing a special loop?

For example say you wanted to use Dutch's Kevlar or Spider Web 2.0 straps/huggers instead of the normal polyester webbing? Could you connect it similar to the complete system?

Also it seems if you bought the components separately, the hooks would not be threaded on to the whoopies, and I'm not sure you could attach it the same way without redoing the splicing work.

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch

How (exactly) do Whoopie Sling connect to Tree Straps?

Hiya,
    The 2nd and 3rd photo from the link from Dutch's site explain it the best. You create the larks head knot at the webbing and use the whoppie hook to attach to the continuous loop (larks head are kind of hard to untie and some use biners instead).
    Toggles and hitches can be used instead to give you more flexibility in selecting your trees as they can get you in tighter spots.
    There's lots of way to setup your suspension. It'll take time to find what's right for you.
    For me during the 3 season, I like straps and whoppies tied with a double becket hitch (I found that both spider web and Kevlar are slippery against Amsteel). I'll use buckles during winter as they are easier to setup with gloves.
    Last edited by alt.thomas; 09-16-2017 at 11:25.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood

Dutch's system uses tree huggers, not tree straps. Huggers have loops at both ends, straps have a loop at one end only.
    If you want to use Kevlar or Spider Web with a whoopie sling system, just order huggers instead of straps. You will larkshead the fixed end of the whoopie to one of the loops of the hugger.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Dutch's lightest weight suspension straps-huggers are kevlar and blue dyneema with black racing stripes---both are good for knots like slipped becket hitch--and don't work with
    hardware. Dutch's heavier suspension straps-huggers made with poly or poly and dyneema are made for hardware, buckles-Bling.
    Not really that much heavier-just different than ultralight suspensions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    Definitely check out Shugs 10part Hammock camping tutorials. I cant put a link in for some reason but its on youtube
    To only step where others have stepped means not to have your own adventures. Live, Love, and Adventure so you may leave your own foot prints!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kattdogg View Post
    Definitely check out Shugs 10part Hammock camping tutorials. I cant put a link in for some reason but its on youtube
    Here's the link to the
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...752777861C2AA8

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    And or you can attach whoopie sling to strap with marlin spike hitch--as shown in Shug's ten part series How to Hang a Hammock--it's probably in the first video.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    And or you can attach whoopie sling to strap with marlin spike hitch--as shown in Shug's ten part series How to Hang a Hammock--it's probably in the first video.

that is what I do. tie a quick MSH, place the toggle, pull slightly tight....place the whoopie eye over the KNOT (NOT the toggle)....pull to cinch the loop into the fabric of the MSH, keep pulling to mesh them tight.....adjust whoopie.....test....enjoy.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Check out Shugs latest video at 2:59 shows the toggles and whoopies ..
    https://youtu.be/6pNmXZLqXhY?t=179

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenny View Post
    I'm confused about how whoopie slings are attached to Tree Snaps when you buy them as a complete system from Dutchware Gear.

I tried Looking at pictures and videos from https://dutchwaregear.com/whoopie-ho...uspension.html to understand better.

In other pictures and videos I see people using toggles to connect it to tree straps.
    There must be a million different ways to connect whoopie slings to the tree huggers or tree straps. Some need extra hardware, some don't. It's always good to try out different methods and find out what suits you best. My first whoopie slings suspension was permanently attached to the tree hugger similar to the way Dutch suggests. Only instead of the Whoopie Hook, it was using a descender ring. That method was not for me, because the wider the trees are apart, the higher the adjustable end hangs. Which was not ideal for my shorter build.

How do you connect it like Dutch has in there Whoopie Hook Complete Suspension?
    You mean how do you connect the whoopies to the tree huggers? That's a simple larkshead, judging by the drawing.

If you bought a strap and a whoopie separately could you simply connect it with a knot the same as in Dutch's complete setup, or does that require slicing the webbing and sewing a special loop?
    If your webbing has 2 loops, you can larkshead the fixed end of the whoopies onto the second loop. If your webbing doesn't have a second loop, you would have to make one, either by knotting, sewing, or using some hardware like a triglide.

For example say you wanted to use Dutch's Kevlar or Spider Web 2.0 straps/huggers instead of the normal polyester webbing? Could you connect it similar to the complete system?
    You would need to buy the tree huggers, not the tree straps because you need the 2nd loop. But then yes, you can use them like you would the polyester tree huggers.

Also it seems if you bought the components separately, the hooks would not be threaded on to the whoopies, and I'm not sure you could attach it the same way without redoing the splicing work.
    Correct. I would not open a whoopie sling to thread on the hook. It's difficult to impossible to open the adjustable sling without cutting the end with the backsplice. I have managed to open a couple of backsplices, but it's a PITA at best. Much easier to splice a new whoopie sling. Or buy one with a Whoopie Hook spliced on.

By the way, you could also put the Whoopie Hook on the continuous loop and clip it into the whoopie sling. It probably won't slide as easily, but it should work. Alternatively, you could also splice the hook onto the fixed end of the whoopie slings. As I said: there are a million different ways...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast