Tarp
    HG WP
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Webbing / Buckles

Maintaining a Clean Indoor Hang

Hello everybody,

I've been hanging indoors for the past few weeks using my Dutch Chameleon and a 1" modular pipe stand I built for about $100. I'm a pretty sanitary guy off trail (on trail pretty much anything goes) and am curious as to how some of you indoor hangers keep your hammock clean from natural oils / grime. I use an Incubator 20 underneath the hammock, a standard blanket on top that can easily be washed as needed, and toddler pillow cases on my Sea to Summit aeros pillow.

For long term use my thoughts are to just use a pair of sleep clothes and wash the hammock itself as necessary (maybe once every 1-2 months?). Does anyone use some type of sheet system that doesn't get all bunched up or have any better ideas as to how to maintain a clean sleeping space? I've thought about using some oil absorbing / cleaning sheets or some standard Clorox wipes which would hopefully not impact the integrity of the hammock material (Hexon 1.0).

Also if anyone has any tips / tricks that they've learned in general from indoor hanging those would be appreciated! Thanks

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I have two hammocks that I rotate; they have been use since 2012. I wash them regularly, about twice a month for each one. I don't dry them in the dryer; just hang them up to dry. They dry pretty fast. They are made of less expensive and heavier ripstop, so they are holding up well. I do wear PJ's or shorts and t-shirt. I use DIY, synthetic UQ and TQ (less expensive and easier to wash). You could also fashion a TQ for summer use from a sheet by creating a foot box. My pillow is also a DIY with a DIY pillowcase.

I use a sleeping bag in my hammock and wash the bag every Sunday. I'm a big germaphobe. I don't like the way hex70 feels on my skin so I prefer a bag anyway.

Tim, 93JeepYJ

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Most people wash their sheets weekly; I don't see any reason why my hammock should be any different (imagine a white hammock!).

My hammock is rigged so it can quickly be unclipped and thrown in the washer...ridgeline and under quilt remain in place. This is easier and quicker than stripping sheets off a bed. Wash in hot water with Tide, hang dry. Easy peezy.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ, HG UQ - LL TQ
    Suspension
    Straps, Becket hit
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Most people wash their sheets weekly; I don't see any reason why my hammock should be any different (imagine a white hammock!).

My hammock is rigged so it can quickly be unclipped and thrown in the washer...ridgeline and under quilt remain in place. This is easier and quicker than stripping sheets off a bed. Wash in hot water with Tide, hang dry. Easy peezy.
    Dave

Would you be able to post up close photos of your setup to show how your quick disconnect system works?

Thanks

Mark

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I wash my hammock every Sunday along with the fleece blanket I use. Hang to dry the hammock. I've never washed the UQ I use. Since there isn't any direct contact with it, I've never seen the need.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by oms121 View Post
    Dave

Would you be able to post up close photos of your setup to show how your quick disconnect system works?

Thanks

Mark
    I don't have enough signal right now. Will post a pic later.

I use whoopies, and fasten everything to the whoopie, including a biner, which goes to a continuous loop threaded through the channel end of my hammock. The cl is secured so it won't come undone in the wash.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    for those who wash their hammocks twice a month or more, do you take your CL, or whoopies out of the hammock body before wash or leave in with the hammock gathered.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Maybe because i wear pjs even in august, but.....

My hammock is a year old. I havent washed it. It smells fresh and looks good so up until now i hadnt thought about it.

(......sneaks out of room to wash hammock.....)

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by oms121 View Post
    Dave

Thanks

Mark
    Screenshot_20170915-145546.jpg20170915_152139.jpg20170915_152220.jpg
    Dave

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast