Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Connecting Tarp Directly to my Hammock Suspension

I wanted to hear some other folks thoughts on potential issues with this, but here'e my idea. On my last long distance hike I had a couple of problems with my tarp and hammock set up.

Issue:

1) Hard the tarp close enough to the top of the hammock to keep out bad weather in storms with blowing winds because of the hammock suspension getting in the way. I was able to keep my critical down dry with a bivy sack but all my gear under the tarp looked like it was drug through a mud pit and I have limited faith in DWR coatings over time.

2) Friction between the tarp line and the hammock suspension lines ate holes in my expensive kevlar suspension straps

3) I have to carry a separate 8 oz hammock summer sock to keep the rain off of my quilts

My proposed solution:

1) Get a shorter/wider tarp (10' length instead of 11') so that it can pitch closer to the hammock ridgeline, get closer to the ground, and still stay clear of the suspension lines

2) Get rid of the tarp line altogether. Replace the current 6" amsteel loops on my hammock with 15" loops from Dutch and then connect the tarp directly to the same toggle that I use to hang my hammock from the suspension with a shock cord loop at both ends (hammock is 9'6" at the ridgeline.)

3) Ditch the 8 oz summer sock

I'm thinking that this will work great but a new CF tarp is $$$$. I'd like to hear some thoughts on this before I pull the trigger on a purchase!

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Get a larger Cuben Fiber tarp and your weight will go down and your coverage will go up.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Clark Hammocks uses a system on their North American series that has the tarp an integral part of the hammock setup. It gives you a little less versatility since the tarp cannot be set up ahead of time and allow you to work under the tarp while setting up the hammock. However, the tarp can be detached from the hammock for 'normal' use if desired.
    I have experimented a lot with an integrated tarp. This is the best I have come up with. I attach these Dutch items (don't remember what they are called) to the suspension straps and then attach the tarp to them. I can adjust the sliders up and down the straps to achieve desired position and tension.
    Also, search for 'bachmann hitch' - it seems to work pretty well for attaching lines to straps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    There are challenges getting the tension right on the tarp. Some have overcome this, but for me, it's not worth the headache. I also want to hang the tarp first in the rain.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Connecting Tarp Directly to my Hammock Suspension

You might like Kokomo combined hammock and tarp suspension. I use a 13 foot long tarp by 12 foot wide. Kokomo is my go to suspension. The tarp goes up first although you can leave whole thing stuck together and get tarp and hammock up at same time--not recommended.
    On YouTube Kokomo hammock suspension
    It's not really a single line suspension, it attaches to each tree--one time--for both hammock and tarp suspension rolled into one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 09-14-2017 at 21:40.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    So you want to do it like a standard Henessy tarp set up ? If so, watch the video on the ultimate hang.com ( I think its on here & YT also) called " rigging a no sag Henessy tarp" I think its called. He goes over how to rig it using the single line suspension method that you describe so it doesn't sag or get floppy as soon as you load the hammock with weight. When I had my HH Expedition I used that method since it was easy to pitch the whole rig at once. And after I watched the vid and made sure I hung my suspension at the normal 30° angle, instead of super tight like HH recommended, it stayed nice and tight the whole time. There are def pros to using separate suspensions for your tarp and hammock and most people do it that way, but for ease of use , a single line suspension can be better. All depends on your specific situation and what you like..... What my be easier or better for me might not be for you. Play around with it and watch the video, that should help you dial it in fairly quickly.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Here's a pic of my HH suspension with the HH Typhoon fly connected to it. Henessy uses a prussik with a mitten hook on the end to clip onto the tarp D ring. I used it this way most of the time with no issues since setting the main suspension up in the rain kept the tarp over the Hammock at all times and the hammock stayed dry while being set up at the same time as the tarp. If it was dry, I could slide them both into my snake skins at once , undo the suspension lines & tree huggers and I was done. If the tarp was wet though, I'd have to unclip it from the hammock and put away separate..... And if it was still raining that meant my hammock would be exposed since you can't take the hammock down before the tarp if you do it that way unfortunately. That's the main con I noticed.

" The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps &amp; buckles
    Images
    I just use a shorter, wider tarp; my DIY tarp is 10 long by a little over 10 wide. Problem solved. I can still set up hight enough for moving around and have great side coverage. My DIY hammocks are 9 footers and I simply don't need an 11 foot tarp for them and the 11 foot tarps have to be set up a fair distance above the hammock to clear the hammock suspension, which means side-ways rain is a problem. I often used my poncho to solve this issue . If you have the $$, then go for the cuben (dyneema fiber) fiber tarp from Hammockgear.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I think your ideas are valid. Thus was my solution. https://youtu.be/RGOS0-XvQgk

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I tried the Ultimate Hang no-sag thing - didn't seem to make much of a difference to me so I stopped connecting the tarp to the hammock suspension. No more sag!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast