Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Yes a clew suspension is much better than traditional suspension, but there are still other issues at play. On my WBBB the shelf on the right hand side tends to push the quilt down which makes it rotate slowly to the left hand side. This eventually means my toes are not getting covered. A clip would prevent that. It would be the same problem with any type of quilt I put on there.
    Gotcha. Well my hammocks are all just basic Dutch and Wilderness Logics gathered end hammocks....no fancy shelves. Your clew idea works great! Thanks much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I made a 3/4 CDT with clews suspension made of 16 1/32 nettles at each end. It would have a tendency to slip off my shoulder and then shoot off completely to the side shortly afterward. Overall, I wouldn't recommend clews on a 3/4 for this and other reasons.

I thought the pack hooks on the chameleon would be usefull to help hold this uq in place, but the hooks are facing the wrong way for these tiny cords which easily pop out. A week ago I finished a chameleon clone and I made sure to reverse the hooks so they face away from the hammock. Spent 3 nights in the woods with it and hooked 2 or 3 nettles at each corner. It stayed put the whole time, even while double hanging with the double dutch net.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    I made a 3/4 CDT with clews suspension made of 16 1/32 nettles at each end. It would have a tendency to slip off my shoulder and then shoot off completely to the side shortly afterward. Overall, I wouldn't recommend clews on a 3/4 for this and other reasons.

I thought the pack hooks on the chameleon would be usefull to help hold this uq in place, but the hooks are facing the wrong way for these tiny cords which easily pop out. A week ago I finished a chameleon clone and I made sure to reverse the hooks so they face away from the hammock. Spent 3 nights in the woods with it and hooked 2 or 3 nettles at each corner. It stayed put the whole time, even while double hanging with the double dutch net.
    Never tried the clews on a 3/4. Since I generally don't hike really long distances, weight is not my first concern. So, all my UQ projects are full length and width. The more coverage the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Shirley View Post
    I recently purchased a hammock from Dream Hammock and elected to have UQ hooks option installed. I can't tell that running the UQ support cords through these hooks did anything to improve the contact of the UQ to the hammock. The hooks were located very close to the hammock ends. What's your experience with these hooks?
    The hooks on my chameleon do a good job of pulling the under quilt up a little instead of pulling it out on the ends. Not as good as those little plastic triangles you can buy for the ridge line but it made a difference for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    The hooks on my chameleon do a good job of pulling the under quilt up a little instead of pulling it out on the ends. Not as good as those little plastic triangles you can buy for the ridge line but it made a difference for me.
    i didn't want to buy triangle thingies and add more stuff, so those plastic things dutch sells caught my eye. i toss and turn in my sleep and occasionally find myself having to unzip the hammock and adjust the foot end of the UQ. Have you tried those things? I met one guy with them and he loved them but i didn't get to talk to him at length about them. They seem to me like they could easily just flop off the ridge line

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    i didn't want to buy triangle thingies and add more stuff, so those plastic things dutch sells caught my eye. i toss and turn in my sleep and occasionally find myself having to unzip the hammock and adjust the foot end of the UQ. Have you tried those things? I met one guy with them and he loved them but i didn't get to talk to him at length about them. They seem to me like they could easily just flop off the ridge line
    I've used them, and abandoned tham cos they slid along my ridgeline and the cords sometimes didn't stay in them. And I worried it would poke holes in my bugnet over time.

Instead I prussik a small loop to my ridgeline at the head and foot ends, and run the UQ cords through a mini-biner attached to that prussik loop. I can slide the prussiks to exactly where they works best, and it's easy to disconnect the UQ whenever I want.

I also hang a few personal items from those biners for convenient storage.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I tried using the clip on quilt hooks but they didn't stay clipped to the hammock very well. But now I use ridge line quilt hooks with all my UQ's and they keep them in place all night. Also, I use the lower head side pull outs mitten hook on my XLC to attach a micro S biner that lines up with a small grosgrain tab on my Snugpak UQ and new -10° HG Incubator , on the shelf side of the hammock there is a ribbon for tying back the Bugnet, but I tie a slippery half hitch through another grosgrain tab thats on that side of the Snugpak and 'Bator. This effectively keeps both quilts from shifting off my shoulder/ feet , and the ones on the head side also help to hold the quilts out just enough to make a little more room inside while still having them right on my shoulder. Add in the RL quilt hooks and those quilts don't move at all during the night .
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I have a Little Shop of Hammocks Warrior Edge and use the quilt clips with great effect. Make sure you only clip the side the quilt needs to ride higher on, not both sides. Such as clip the side closest to your feet and the side closest to your head. Don't clip the other two ends.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by bradym77 View Post
    I have a Little Shop of Hammocks Warrior Edge and use the quilt clips with great effect. Make sure you only clip the side the quilt needs to ride higher on, not both sides. Such as clip the side closest to your feet and the side closest to your head. Don't clip the other two ends.
    Thank you for that tip!

Hammock
    HH UL Expl, Expd, WBBB XL, homemade
    Tarp
    Hex, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HHSS or Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    Straps or whoopies
    I use an ID lanyard clip on the top left shoulder side. Plastic loop goes onto the UQ shock cord, clip gets attached to the base part of the bug net zip (so not touching the hammock fabric). Seems to work and very very cheap (free, if you've ever been to a conference).
    strap_clip.png

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12